Central A/C woes

Old 06-26-02, 06:30 AM
E
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Central A/C woes

Okay, I'll try to be brief. For the past couple of summers, my central air (Rheem RAFB-036-JAS (3 ton)) hasn't been cooling too well. I finally called out a tech, who said he added 6 pounds of R-22 to the unit. (Obviously, there is a leak somewhere.) Although the lineset is 40 feet long, the liquid line is only 1/4" O.D. tubing. Is this a problem? The tech also said that he had to slightly (whatever that means) overcharge it to get an 18 degree temperature drop across the coil. Perhaps not coincidentally, the compressor now goes "klunk" when it starts (not too loud, but noticeable). Is this "slugging" as a result of the overchrage? What should I do?

Old 06-27-02, 08:55 AM
telco tech
Visiting Guest
I'd be very concerned about the clunk. When my system was overcharged it did the same thing. Overcharge can cause the superheat on the suction line to go away, allowing liquid to enter the compressor, and everything I've been told is this is a bad thing. Can damage the compressor and it's valves. I would call them back out to recheck the system charge, and adjust it. There are different methods to adjusting the charge depending on if your system has a TXV or simple orifice metering device, so its best to have a pro do this for you.

Old 07-08-02, 01:04 PM
E
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
UPDATE

Something occurred to me -- if this system needed six pounds of R-22, wouldn't the pressures have been ridiculously low when they first read them (i.e., before adding the refrigerant)? And if that is the case, shouldn't they have found and corrected the leak(s) before adding $120 worth of refrigerant? I need a pro's view on this before I raise this issue with the company.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: