Central AC Unit very slow cooling

Old 07-09-02, 12:03 PM
Darryl38
Visiting Guest
Arrow Central AC Unit very slow cooling

I have a Goodman industries central AC unit ck218 serial number 9605064001 outside with a gas furnace also a goodman gmpn060-3 serial number 9611806221 in a 4 1/2 year old house.
I have had the house for 2 years and over time it seems to be less efficient cooling the downstairs. The upstairs set up is similar with an attic gas furnace and same ac unit side by side. This upstairs set up works great.

The downstairs unit blows moderatley cool air and normally only improves the temp by 3-5 degrees in 3-4 hours. It is cool air but not cold blowing out.

I have changed the air filter, cut the bushes next to the units to 18 inches, all the fans work ac and furnace, cold returns and vents all open, and closed the dehumidifer damper to "summer" on the furnace.

the big copper wrapped pipe is cool and the unwrapped pipe isnot hot or cold. On the other unit that works well the unwrapped pipe is very hot. I did not check the wrapped one.

The technician measured the pressure of R22 at 170/70 on the slow working unit and added R22 till it got to 210/90. He did not know the required pressure for this unit and Ii have no paper work. the other unit is at 60/310 that works well.

The added r22, did not improve if anything it got worse downstairs. He had no idea what it was he then said "maybe a new compressor would help".

What should I do next?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-09-02, 04:14 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
first

do not call that last guy back, ever. those pressures are both way out of whack. one sounds like a dirty condender...300 plus head pressure, and the other POSSIBLE bad valves. clean all coils, the evap and condenser, and call a pro, may not be a diy job.