AC problem also

Old 07-09-02, 05:24 PM
shy guy
Visiting Guest
Question AC problem also

Hi, i'm ac illiterate. So please bare with me. =) The air that comes out of my vents doesnt come out as strong anymore. If i continue to leave it on, eventually i would feel no air come out at all. I also noticed that if i leave the ac off for a couple of hours it starts blowing stronger again, but still not as strong as it once did and also not as cool. The main ac unit also doesnt make the same sound it use to. I now notice like a leaking sound and bubbly sound now. I checked the fan outside and it works fine and i'm not sure how to check if the indoor fan is working properly. Btw, the ac unit is about 4 or 5 years old. I'm assuming becuase thats how old the house is. Please tell me if you can give me any suggestions.

Thank you

Sponsored Links
Old 07-09-02, 05:40 PM
k.rogan
Visiting Guest
Sounds like your A coil might be freezing up on you. find the drain tube on your inside unit and it will connect to your drip tray. The a coil is above your drip tray. See if there is an access panel there and look to see if when your air is not blowing very good you can see an ice sheet over the surface of the a coil.

Old 07-09-02, 07:50 PM
shy guy
Visiting Guest
Ya, i think that is the problem, I have to remove my filter ( so i guess the filter is also called the drip tray) to see it from under. Theres a lot of ice. Is this simple to fix?

Old 07-09-02, 08:09 PM
k.rogan
Visiting Guest
"so i guess the filter is also called the drip tray" uh, no. The drip tray is trough around the bottom of the A-coil that you are looking up through. It catches the water that drips off the a coil and sends it down the drain tube.

Anyway, freezing is usually caused by having a low coolant charge in your system, but other things can cause it. See the thread below for some ideas.

http://forum.doityourself.com/showth...threadid=96532

Old 07-09-02, 09:30 PM
shy guy
Visiting Guest
What should i use to clean the coil?