A/C Fan keeps running.......sometimes!

Old 07-12-02, 12:12 PM
Barb.com
Visiting Guest
Question A/C Fan keeps running.......sometimes!

central heat & a/c unit combined - my a/c works fine, it cools properly, the thermostat seems to be working ok, but sometimes just the fan doesn't stop running when the correct temp is reached. There is no air coming through the vents when it does it. The only way I can stop it, is to throw the breaker and if I reset the breaker it starts running again. It doesn't do it all the time, but seems to be getting more often.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-12-02, 04:28 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
fan

which fan, inside or out. if outside, contactor is sticking, if inside probably fan relay. this relay may be on a circuit board, what is the age/model of furnace?

Old 07-12-02, 08:59 PM
Barb.com
Visiting Guest
Model # - Age

Thank you for your help first of all! The fan is outside, by inside I am assuming you mean inside the compressor area or something, not easily seen. It is a big fan (clearly visible) that blows hot air out of the unit. I think it's purpose may be to cool the compressor or condenser? I'm sorry I don't know much about it. It is a old unit, over 20 yrs. old, but we have probably used it about half as much as it would normally be used. It is a York(Borg-Warner). I'm not sure which of the following numbers is the model number, the explanation is worn off, 3M000613 or SA36G080-10E. Any help you can give me will be appreciated. Thank you! barb.com

Old 07-12-02, 09:05 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
barb

that is a 3 ton a/c, the fan you can see, is that the one that keeps running? the one you cannot see is blowing air through the vents

Old 07-12-02, 09:17 PM
Barb.com
Visiting Guest
Yes, the one I can see, is the one that keeps running.