air conditioning

Old 07-17-02, 06:39 AM
Vince1
Visiting Guest
air conditioning

I noticed that the blower was running but the breaker for the a/c compressor unit was tripped . I turned the thermostat from cool to off, reset the breaker and turned the thermostat back to cooling and the breaker tripped right away. Any idea on where to start troubleshooting.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-17-02, 11:26 AM
Sparksone42
Visiting Guest
Start at the breaker for the condensing unit and make sure that the wires going into the breaker are tight and not loose. If that's not the problem then I would call the a/c guy and let him look at the condensing unit itself. It's possible that you could benefit from the installation of a hard start kit for the compressor. The problem is definitey related to the condensing unit or the circuit that feeds it. It is even possible that the breaker itself is bad and needs to be replaced. You can check this if you have another breaker of the same size in the panel. Take the leads off of the breaker for the condensing unit and put them on another breaker of the same size, if it holds then you know you need to make a trip to the home improvement store for a breaker. If it does the same thing, stop and call an a/c repairman and get their advice.

Old 07-17-02, 11:36 AM
Vince1
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the advice , I just called my a/c guy to come check it out. I opened up the unit and checked the wiring for any obvious problems all wiring looked good. I have a feeling the contactor coil may be defective it moved in and out quite freely. I believe it should be harder to push in and out than it was .