Run capacitors

Old 07-17-02, 06:56 PM
BA-35
Visiting Guest
Run capacitors

Our 15+ year old Rheem AC stopped working last week. A serviceman said the run capacitor was bad and needed replaced. He also recommended replacing the entire unit because 1) something probably caused the capacitor to go so additional repairs are likely, 2) the unit is old and nearing the end of its lifespan, and 3) newer units are much more efficient. The problem is timing--nobody has time to install a new unit until the middle of August.

It's very hot and I'm miserable, but I don't want to waste money on repairing the old unit just to replace it next month. Is there a place where I can order capacitors cheaper than the $150 dollars the serviceman quoted me?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-17-02, 07:15 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
w w grainger

or local electrical supply house

Old 07-17-02, 07:51 PM
Lightbulb Capacitor

Part should be les than $20.00, just replace the cap and run the unit into the ground (run till something MAJOR goes bad)

Buying a new unit for better energy efficiency is flase economy, you won't save enough on your electric bill to make the payment (assuming you finance the AC) and it will be that much longer before you have to replace it AGAIN, remember the new stuff won't last forever either.

Also in a year or 2 the new equiptment will be even more efficient than the stuff made now....

Old 07-17-02, 08:09 PM
-------------------------------------------

Last edited by jonathanisaac; 08-03-06 at 08:36 PM.