Noisey/Vibrating/hissing startup.

Old 07-19-02, 10:44 AM
lmkeehn
Visiting Guest
Noisey/Vibrating/hissing startup.

I had a problem in which the return line froze up. It had only frozen once that I knew of since I monitored it prior to the AC guy coming out and it did not freeze up again. The ac guy came out filled it up with freon. After he left, we noticed it had a Very noisey vibrating startup with some hissing after the noise settled down, usually in 5 seconds. It's possible it was hissing the whole time and we could not hear it due to the noise. The hissing stopped about 3-4 seconds after the noisey startup. 10 seconds or so after startup it sounds normal. It is also worth noting that this noise and hissing does not happen on a fresh startup, only when it has been working hard.

The ac guy came out and found that the last guy, with the same company, had over-filled the unit with freon. He got the readings correct and left. Unfortunately, it was a cool day and the AC had not been working hard enough to make the noise/hiss on startup.

It is still doing it. any ideas? did over charging wreck something. It should be noted that they will not come back without charging a service fee which seems odd since it would appear that they had something to do with this.

Old 07-20-02, 08:01 PM
ServiceGrunt
Visiting Guest
By what you are describing, it sounds like there is a restriction in your metering device, you are still overcharged, and the compressor is cycling on an internal bypass. I have found pieces of solder, and other junk in the meter causing the same thing. They need to pump down the unit or recover the refrigerant to check your meter. You`ll need a pro. This is just one of the many bizarre things we run into every day.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: