Water leak from roof mounted attic exhaust fan

Old 07-24-02, 04:20 PM
jgharris7
Visiting Guest
Water leak from roof mounted attic exhaust fan

About two years ago I had my roof-mounted attic exhaust fan replaced. For the first time since the installation I inspected my attic during a driving rain storm. I found that water was dripping into the attic from the joint between two roof decking planks immediately beneath the attic fan. The water was not coming into through the fan housing; I am almost certain it was getting under the shingles from the junction with the fan housing.

The electrical contractor claims they only warranty their work for one year. I suspect though that my problems are from a poor installation job; Should not I be leak free for far more than two years? Is it reasonable to request the company to fix the situation on grounds that the problem is due to deficient workmanship? Or is it likely due to something other than poor workmanship?

Note the roof is only about 5 years old and has no other problems. When I bought the house 3 years ago the inspector said the roofing job was excellent.

The URL below is a picture from the ground level shot through binoculars. The shingles around the fan look raised? Is it likely that this is the problem and that rain is getting blown under them. I cannot see from the picture whether the gap is entirely filled with caulk or has gaps.

Thanks

Picture from ground of roof mounted attic fan and adjacent shingles.

Old 07-24-02, 07:40 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Ridge vent

it looks like you have a ridge vent up there, take the attic fan out and replace the shingles.

All the attic fan is doing is drawing hot air back through the ridge vent.

Block the ridge vent or ditch the fan, I would ditch the fan they use more power than they save in most cases.

Plus the fan opening/installation is causing leaks ...

http://www.geocities.com/jgharris7/Img_0143.jpg

Old 07-25-02, 03:27 AM
jgharris7
Visiting Guest
I also have gable vents. The hot air drawn through the ridge vent should be much cooler than the very hot air of the attic. I suppose some hot air from the fan may recirculate, but most won't.
I did just see that Virginia Dominion Power claims that an attic fan may be worse than useless-- benefits unproven and risks of drawing out cooled air and creating negative pressure to draw in flue gasses. I am not sure who is right on this.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: