New home owner---You'll love this one.-long

Old 09-03-02, 09:58 AM
New home owner---You'll love this one.-long

Some of you may have seen some of my posts in another forum, complaining about how I purchased my house, and the old tenants would not move out. Well, finally, after an entire week, they got out, just in time for labor day weekend, good!!

The Front yard:
Alright, walking up to the house, the first thing you notice is the Bricks. There are bricks about 3 feet high, going around the front of the house, stopping at window height, and on either side of the sides of the yard. The bricks, awning, mailbox, and trim have all been painted a red/white/green color.....hmmm.. The planter that lines the sidewalk to the left on the way to the front door has some plants that have become quite overgrown. This can be a problem, in order to overcome this, the last owners have constructed a chain link fence about 4 feet high around the entire perimeter of the planter!! Ha, that will keep the plants in!! Additionally, a tree about 7 feet tall grows right at the end of the driveway, forcing you to have to walk clear around through the middle of the front lawn to get to the front door.

The inside:
The living room/front bedroom/middle bathroom have been painted some Rancid GLOSS blue color!! It has to be some latex/rubber paint, because the paint will actually peel off like wallpaper!! We found this out the hard way, after primering half of the house. The carpet is poop brown, and is about 20 years old, literally, and is worn clear through. Every vent in the house is orginall 1965 equipment. The heater and air are broken, it is 113 degrees outside. the middle bathroom has it's shower doors missing, but the framework still exists. It also has peeling wallpaper, and after we took it off, found more of that wonderful blue paint underneith. The linoleum has brown stuff seeping out of every crack. The middle bedroom has wallpaper, under that wallpaper was more wonderful blue paint. None of the toilets in the whole house are bolted down, careful wiping, or you will fall over with the toilet. The master bedroom has yucky wallpaper, but under the wall paper, guess what!!! No blue paint!!! The master bathroom shower is definetly orginal, and we had to buy a pad just to stand on, because it is so bad. There are cockroaches and fly's EVERWHERE. I peel the wallpaper, roaches, I open a cabinet, roaches, My friends and I eat pizza, and roaches (plural) come flying and land on your crust (little roaches) SH*T!! how do these people live like this?

The kitchen:
The original cabinet oven does not work, so they have bought a typical range, and cut the cabinet to fit it in. As a result the counter top has been cut with what looks like the precision of a jack hammer. Never mind that the range does not auto light. What was previously thought to be wallpaper turned out to be Shelf Paper. There was MARBLE shelf paper over the ENTIRE kitchen!They shelf papered the walls, and the countertops too! They shelf paper right over their outlets, then plugged their appliences right through the shelf paper! The kitchen ceiling fan rocks back and forth like fans at a slayer concert.

The backyard:
They left one of their pigeon coops out there. They had already moved their pigeons and rabbits off the premises, but some of the cages had been left-disasembled. they constructed cages from wood palets, with plywood for sides! The back yard literally looks like a jungle. There are 2 different types of cactus, blue agave (tequilla!!) and green cactus. There are 2 apricot trees, 2 avocado trees, a pomegranit tree, a lemon tree. There is also a big tree in the center of the yard. In the tree are several of those favorite chain link fences!! In the tree branches! Apparently they were for the grapevine that wrapped up and over the entire tree, then down almost to the ground. There was a dead puppy under the pigeon coop

The garage:
This is the best part of the house. It is a nice big 2 car. They have drywalled the sides, and the CEILING. The ceiling has drywall that is about to fall on your head. The garage door spring are shot, and there was no lock mechanism on the door. Other than that, the garage is ok.

Oh yea, none of the outside doors except for the front door are outside doors, they are hollow bedroom doors. Additionally, every door in the house except for the front door are falling off their hinges, or have holes in it.

The good points:
Most of the bad stuff is surface stuff. The house has a good roof, is solid, has modern electrical system and copper plumbing.

After four hard days of labor day weekend, and every friend we have, the living room, hallway, and front bedroom are completely painted. The front bathroom is half painted, the chain link fence in the front yard, and in the backyard are gone, and everything has been hacked back to resemble an almost normal back yard. Yes we kept the fruit trees and cactus..so far.

Carpet is this week, but until we feel it is ready, we had a relative park his mobile home in our driveway so we could have someplace clean to sleep.

How do people live like this. And Yes, we got it on a good deal.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-03-02, 10:47 AM
I guess they just don't care. We don't have money, but that is way beyond what I would do!

I'm so glad that you guys are actually able to get in there and make the home yours.

Thanks for posting! Oh, my house is blue, too! All the way through it. Nice shades and it varies throughout, but just too much blue.

Kay

Old 09-12-02, 09:33 PM
tirebunny
Visiting Guest
Consider it a...

diamond in the rough

Old 09-13-02, 01:03 PM
I'll put b4 and after pics up when I get them developed. I now have the whole house repainted, new carpet, and have moved furniture in. Place is looking great!!

Old 09-13-02, 02:08 PM
I'm so proud for you guys!

Kay

Old 09-13-02, 03:35 PM
BSB
Kay hit the nail on the head. They just dont care. (didn't and probably still dont.)

I had a technician call me when he was doing a dsl install for a customer. What he described sounded just like what you moved into. You forgot the endless piles of paper, magazines, pet mess on the floor covered by newspaper, more mess, more newspaper, more mess, more newspaper, 3 dead cats in the living room and kitchen, 2 dead parakeets.

In the back yard sunlight never reached the ground, but right out side the back door was a hottub, not to swim in, seems they thought it would serv better as a dump. All trash was tossed out the back door into the tub.

The saddest thing is that its passed from parent to kid for generations.

Brian

Old 09-14-02, 09:46 AM
The chain link fence brings to thought my neighbors. We've been trying to help them keep their dog in the backyard. They seem to have their priorities a little backwards at times. Claim to love the dogs, but have just purchased a large screen tv, new computer and gotten digital cable. The fence: pieces of chicken wire, looks like strips of 1x1's for posts, and all hooked together to the original 3' high chain link fence with tie wraps. Keeps the dogs in, but looks nasty.

This is the reason that I want a wood privacy so much! I want to hide this from our yard.

Obiviously, they don't care either. They only do enough around the outside of the house to keep the city off their backs. They only mow the front when the city stops and tells them they have to or they will be fined. I thought it was funny when she came over to ask me what type bushes she had growing between the other neighbor and her. They are all over grown brush. No more, no less. If there had ever been any type of intentional bush placed there as a divider, it has long been choked out.

Kay

Old 09-14-02, 03:08 PM
tirebunny
Visiting Guest
Sounds like my brother in laws work.

My husband asked him to come over to put a phone line in.

He stapled the line for the siding and used a 3/4 bit to drill through the entire wall.

GEEZ!!!!!!!

He's banned from my house. My 7 year old at the time could have done that.

I do my own work and have fired everyone but my brother who is the biggest perfectionist I have ever found. He helps me out at times.

Old 09-16-02, 11:02 AM
GwyniChaela
Visiting Guest
OMG, sounds like my old in laws house!!!

Sounds like we ALL have one of these around.....thankfully my inlaws bought a new house and have taken better care of that one..

Our house needs a little tlc, but nothing THAT drastic!!!

Goodness, hearing a story lke that makes me feel so much better about what needs doing here!!
Gardening and floors refinished....and a little bit of repainting in places.....thank god thats simple enough to do, except for the kids underfoot it would be DONE already!!!

WOW, I cant WAIT to see pictures!! You MUST post, sounds like you're getting things in order, and did you call Orkin???

Old 09-17-02, 09:51 AM
Yep, we called terminex. This wed will be the 5th time in less than 3 weeks that they have come out. See post under pests. Basically, we had an extreme roach problem (hundreds) and mice prob. Got rid of Roach and Rodents, but now have EXTREME Flea problem--thousands of em.

Never thought I would like roaches, but compared to fleas...fleas are horrible. My wife has counted OVER 200 flea bites on her body, big swollen, bloody bumps!! This is amazing. I am throwing everything in the book at these fleas, and they are reluctant as hell to go away.

Will likely send the pics in this weekend to get developed.

Old 09-17-02, 10:04 AM
Good luck!

I've used a pellet form of Sevin dust in the backyard and its been great. No fleas, no ticks. We had a major tick problem with fleas being secondary. I use my handheld spreader to apply it, and it worked. I had to apply something before I could actually survive the jungle that was growing along the fenceline.

Kay

Old 09-17-02, 11:17 AM
GwyniChaela
Visiting Guest
Fleas

WOW, I am at a loss for words!!!

We had a huge flea problem once, with our old roommates cat. She let her go outdoors while all of our kitties are indoors 100%

We got fortunate, we put Advantage on them, and within HOURS - not only did it kill everything on the animals, it also got EVERY flea in the house. I had no idea it worked so well....I mean we literally went from thousands to nothing.

I hope that you can get your issues taken care of!!! And still waiting on a link to go see some pictures!! I'm SO excited - it sounds like an awesome job has been done!

Old 09-17-02, 12:26 PM
I can't wait to see the pics too. I'm also VERY jealous! Where do you find the motivation and energy to accomplish everything you have so far, Jeremy?

I have trouble decluttering the kitchen counter! Here you've pulled out carpets, cleaned up unbearable conditions in the yard, etc. I'm impressed!

Kay

Old 09-17-02, 01:00 PM
Life has-unfortunetly become very difficult to live for my generation. ( I am 28) My generation is graduated-graduating from college, only to find a work world who rejects us and doesn't want anything to do with us. I graduated from CSUF in 97 with a bs in criminal justice. After coming out of my fraternity stuper, and having many rejections and failurs-2 years later I realized that Criminal justice was not for me--I did not want to be a cop. So, 5 years down the drain with college. I became pretty miserable and depressed. Fortunetly, one day I woke up and said... Look A$!hole, you are only 25. You can soak in your misery and feel sorry for yourself, or get back to school and do something!! Many people get into the trap of feeling they are hopeless, and that the world owes them a living, and that there is nothing they can do. Those people wake up one day and realize that they are 50 and have done nothing with their life.

Anyway, I went back to college and got another bachelors, this one in telecom management and got a decent job. After I graduated, I married my girlfriend of 4 years who is a 5th grade teacher, and within the year, bought my house.

I have a lot of friends who have gotten older, around 30 or so, and still are stuck in the same groove, work the same minimum wage job, and complain every single day how life has dealt them a bad card. One of them can't even afford to have his own apt, and now he is scrambling to divvy up all his possessions among his friends, because he has no place to put the stuff. He is a joke, at 31 years old he makes $9 an hour, and just crys all day long how life has messed him over. I have tried and tried to help, but he just does not see.

My whole point I guess is that life is what you make of it. I wanted a house real real bad, just like I wanted a good job real bad. Houses in OC and Corona Ca have gone through the roof. A Fixer like mine cost $193k.

Anyway, I have gone off rambling, but I just wanted to show how I keep trying hard, and when I want something, I go after it with full force, giving it everything I want.

After all, I could become 31 years old, not have a place to live, earn $9 an hour, and so on....Reach for that dream and make it happen.

Old 10-24-02, 06:01 AM
Lightbulb Tv's

Whats really odd is some of my customers houses look like this.
One didn't even have a working A/C (it had been broke all summer)
BUT he had $5,000 worth of A/V gear !!
Priorities ...

Old 10-24-02, 07:27 PM
Group Moderator
You ought to see the insides of the vehicles that some of those slobs drive! Unbelievable.

I can relate to the $5000 worth of av gear with no ac. We get to tow people's $500 cars all the time with the $2000 worth of stereo equipment in them (and who b**** about the the $40 tow bill).

And jt, you hit the nail on the head. My wife got her bachelor's in education this year at the age of (you didn't hear it from me) 45. Carpe diem!

Old 10-24-02, 10:35 PM
The house is looking good!! I have the pics, but need to upack my scanner from a box.

I wish I had $2k in Audio in my car, but instead have a cd player with a broken display, I guess I figure the place I live in is more important than the thing I drive to work in.

Priorities..

Old 10-25-02, 05:44 AM
Jeremy,

I'm the same way. I would love to have a radio in my truck (the last one was $20 and is now doa), but I keep thinking how nice it will be this winter after I caulk the house, and reseal the windows, etc. Really need to check into replacing the older windows on the back of the house. Who knows, next summer I may have saved enough over the winter from the 'investments' that I might be able to get a decent one installed (well, maybe not see the savings that quick, but they will be there over time).

It is all about priorities. I am not in my truck that often so what gets put into it is the necessities (oil changes, part exchanges, etc).

I also enjoy being a stay at home mom. That is a huge priority in our family since I now have teenagers and I can't imagine having to spend a day at work and then come home to deal with assinine crap that I do in the evening, too. My brain can't handle it, so I honestly believe that this woman was intented to be at home. I also love my husband dearly and don't want him to have to work any harder than he already does. I like having him home, so the less money I spend and/or blow, the less overtime he has to work. He deserves to be able to enjoy this house, the truck, the tvs, etc. that he has worked so hard to pay for, too.

Kay

Old 11-17-02, 11:25 PM
GwyniChaela
Visiting Guest
Cant wait to see the pics!!!

Priorities....

make me feel like a bad mom. 3 kids and I only see them 1-2 times a week.

Priorites....

school.....so I can make the money I need to be 100% self supporting and put myself thru more school so I can work less hours for better pay and be a better single mom....thank god for good hardworking fathers that love their children with everything in them.

Priorities.....

make me the person I am today. With a loving boyfriend, making time to see my kids, and realizing that I am giving up 3 years of our lives in the end so that I can provide for them for the rest of their lives......

is that okay? I havent spent much time taking care of myself in the past 6 years...I feel guilty for trying to do it now. I love my kids and they didnt ask to be brought into this world, but if I want to take care of them the way they deserve I really believe I need to do this.....

SHOULD I be crying myself to sleep every night at the thought of them and the time I know I am losing with them?? AM I a bad mom for allowing them to be raised by their father for the time being???

Old 11-18-02, 05:47 AM
Trying to prepare for a career and a future for you and your children in your situation requires a different approach. I was fortunate when I was a single mom that I had the help of my mom, plus the help of my ex-inlaws. Most don't have that. It was still hard with me attending school, plus working, plus studying, and then doing the basic mom thing. My kids spent a majority of their day at daycare, and I didn't get much sleep at night since I had to study after the kids went to bed. It was the only way if I wanted to spend any time with them. There were times that I was so stressed out, tired and worried that my mom would take the kids for a few days so I could rest or clean the house. Usually I slept so that I could regroup and be a better mom.

Its super hard to get back into the swing of working and/or studying when we've been homemakers for so many years. I'm contemplating going back to work to have something to do during the day and it terrifies me. I can get up in the morning, but can I add to my routine getting myself ready instead of just helping the kids get ready? What kind of mom am I going to be to my kids when I get off work? Am I going to be too tired to help with a report that needs to be proofed? How guilty am I going to feel when a neighbor has to pick up my sick kid from school since I'm at work? These things I've mentioned have been the focus of my life for the past 3 years, and the reasons I've tried to stay at home instead of working.

I'm going to try to take my own advice asI write this. Remember: All plans are tenative. Nothing is written into stone. Set a goal/plan up and then change it as life requires it to change. If this doesn't work, try something else. Even businesses review their plans every 6 months. New businesses every 3 months (some monthly for the first few months). If it is working, then stick with the plan!

Kay

Old 11-18-02, 10:57 AM
GwyniChaela
Visiting Guest
Thanks Kay, for all your words of wisdom..

These too are things I think about regularly....

And things I will continue to think about!!

Old 12-03-02, 08:29 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
HEY JTHOMPSON

I am not sure why your old homeowners lived in that house that way, but what I DO know is that I have a car you might be interested in... '82 Caprice .... has a picnic bench for a back seat, but for privacy, I have strapped chicken wire between the front and back seats... the front has bucket seats (the orange 5 gallon kind from Home Depot)... The outside is a unique blend of rustoleum red and some sort of Ralph Lauren textured paint... 2 of the tires are made out of the wooden ends of old electrical spools but they will last another 5 or 6 hundred miles (just keep them sanded regularly)... The duct tape holding in the back tail lights and that holds the trunk shut was just changed at 247,000 miles so it still has some good life left to it as well... I would consider letting you just take over payments if you like... Just let me know...

Old 12-03-02, 08:32 PM
LOL!

Old 12-04-02, 08:50 AM
sounds like a deal!

I was taking the stove out to replace it, and I found some more funny stuff.

You know how there is a vent above the stove to vent the cooking smoke-ok. Well in my kitchen, there is a vent pipe that goes up to the roof that is supposed to be connected to the vent fan itself. Well these idiots had bought a vent fan unit with no cutout for the vent tube!!! idiots had bolted the vent tube up to a solid vent fan housing with no hole, so the smoke gets sucked up by a fan and gets blown out right at their face!! Why not spring the extra $10 for the one with the cutout??

Also, the cord that was attatched to it was all mickey moused. The actual plastic plug that contains the metal prongs was gone, so these guys just shoved the wires into the vent cord and electrical taped it that way! What they didn't bother to do is reach up about 2 feet and unplug the entire wire from the outlet above. Did they think it was hardwired, did they not know it was just an extension cord???

anyway, I will start scanning pics soon.

Old 12-04-02, 09:27 AM
Jeremy I love hearing about your house. It is such a grand adventure. I admire your outlook when dealing with these issues. I hope to be more like you when I get brave enough to start on this house again. I usually get upset at the shoddy work done, but from now on I will try to laugh a little about it as I set it straight or have a pro do it!

Kay

Search this Thread