A good laugh

Old 10-28-02, 09:40 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
A good laugh

Here's a lesson and a good chuckle at the same time.

My uncle asked me to look at his CCR Series 2 cycle Toro snowthrower this weekend. Says it wouldn't start, needed a new primer bulb, and also he wanted to change the spark plug.

I asked him about the symptoms and also asked him, "It has the right oil and gas mix right?" He assured me it did and it was of ample supply. I even asked him twice.

Checked spark, seemed ok, but no fire. Decided to head to the small engine dealer a few blocks away, which netted us a new spark plug and a new primer bulb for 5 bucks in total.

Put it all on. My cousin's husband said, "You know, that level looks kind of low". I said, "My uncle said it was ok".

Sure enough, the tank was bone dry. Lol. Put in the right mixture, new plug and primer (grand total of five minutes).

Newsflash: Fired right up. Lol.

Moral of the story: Always check the basics for yourself .

Sponsored Links
Old 11-07-02, 12:35 PM
telco tech
Visiting Guest
"It ain't got no gase init"--Carl Childress (Slingblade)

Old 11-11-02, 09:59 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
That's right, and no oil too .

That was the problem. I should know better to ask my uncle.

My dad used to say to him before he died, "Brother in law, I'll make a mechanic out of you yet". I remember going there when I was a kid when my uncle called my dad that he couldn't get the oil filter off of his 1979 LTD wagon. He was trying for hours.

My dad got under there and whipped it off in 2 minutes. My uncle, perplexed at this point, said, "HOW?????".

"Easy, you were turning it the wrong way...tightening it". LOL!!!

Ever since then, my uncle says, "Leave me to the wood, you fool with these blasted cars!!"

My uncle did make me a perfect replica of the attic stair tread I needed (company is out of business). Can't tell !!!

Old 03-12-06, 11:18 PM
A good laugh

Well, here's another laugh at my expense. Last summer I bought a new Stihl 14" chainsaw to replace my worn-out Mac.

Took it out in the woods and started bucking up a small deadfall on a logging road. After about 20 minutes it died on me. Got it started again and it died again. Got it started again and it died again. Repeat two or three more times. Then threw it in the back of the truck and drove home PO'ed.

Took it back to the shop where I bought it the next day. Demanded that they check out this piece of junk they sold me while I waited because it didn't run worth a darn. Mechanic took it back into the shop while I paced in rightious indignation waiting for his humbled apologies.

He came back a couple of minutes later and said, "You were out of gas. I put in some gas and it runs fine. This little screw cap here, that's where the gas goes."

Left with my tail between my legs.

Old 03-13-06, 05:59 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
We are all apt to mess up, some more than others

I have a sears 1 hp 11 gal air compressor that I used to keep in my work van. Kept it tied to the bottom of the shelves so it wouldn't roll around.
One day it quit building pressure. It would get 40-50 lbs and just wouldn't go any higher. There was a shop I drove by everyday that had a big sign saying they repaired air compressors so I stopped. Found out they were only a relay station as they sent all air comps to another town to be repaired - minimum cost was close to the price of a new compressor. So I take it back to my shop and start tearing it down [figured maybe a blown head gasket or bad piston] After dismantling and finding nothing wrong I realized that because I had tied it off in the van using the belt adjuster for an anchor the belt had got loose and when loose it would start slipping after building up pressure. All that hassle and all that needed doing was tightening the belt

Old 03-13-06, 09:24 AM
Group Moderator
A few years ago we had a tenant complain that something electrical wasn't working. We went over, flipped the breaker and it worked. His reply, "Do you think I should give back my PhD in electrical engineering?"

Old 03-13-06, 09:35 AM
OK I got one Im a little embarrassed by. Some guys here help me figure out what I was doing wrong. A freind gave me a 12.5hp briggs out of a lawn tractor. He said he neede the front axle and the engine was fine and didnt want to throw out a good engine. I wanted to put it on a sawmill so I figured I would make sure it runs first. I bolted it to some 2x4s and screwed them to a big wood box. I played aroud and "checked the simple things first" no spark. Check the kill wire and it as fine. I figured the coil was bad so I bought a new one, $30 on ebay. Put it on no spark, brand new coil and nothing. I had the plug out and hooked up another battery charger to the started, 100amps now. I got a few sparks, great Im ready to go. Put plug back in and starter didnt have enough power to spin engine. Great the starter is bad I was looking on ebay for one because they are like $120.00 new. I also had a post on this site, thank goodness.

Turns out everything was fine old coil was good, I tore the starter apart 3 times replaced the brushes etc etc it was all working ok. I needed a battery hooked up to it, 100 amps wasnt enough. I hooked up the battery and fired right up. After a month of screwing around and 30 bucks for a new coil and almost buying a new starter all I needed to do was hook it up to a battery.
Let that be a lesson to you.

Old 03-14-06, 11:41 PM
i have learned to always look at something and check everything yourself before tearing into anything. The simplest answer is usually the best. No need in ripping apart the transmission to change the oil in the car.

Old 03-15-06, 05:46 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Originally Posted by Docduck
. No need in ripping apart the transmission to change the oil in the car.

Does that mean we can't buy more tools

Old 03-15-06, 06:37 AM
Here's one at my expense. (I have a trillion)

Years ago, I decided to put a side bagger on my old lawnmower. I set everything up in the yard and started putting it all together. Some holes needed to be drilled in the frame so I went and grabbed the electric drill and my extension cord (cordless drills weren't invented yet).

The cord was a mess, tangled and knotted. I sat down and spent 20 minutes unravelling it. Still didn't reach so my neighbor who was watching went and got his. Finally after about 45 minutes of playing with extension cords, we got the drill working and finished the job.

Slick!

I proudly started up the mower and started mowing. Catcher worked great.

As I'm circling the yard I had a thought that made me stop dead and shake my head. Why hadn't we just moved the mower over to the electrical outlet? Mowers are pretty mobile.

Notice my little saying at the bottom about putting your nose to the grindstone? Thats nothing profound, its just something I need to keep reminding myself to check.

Old 03-15-06, 09:39 AM
Group Moderator
Originally Posted by mjd2k
Mowers are pretty mobile.

Sort of their point, I believe.

Old 03-15-06, 10:55 AM
Originally Posted by mitch17
Sort of their point, I believe.

I concur 100%

Old 03-15-06, 10:56 AM
Originally Posted by marksr
Does that mean we can't buy more tools
I don't like the sound of that

Old 03-15-06, 02:14 PM
Group Moderator
Rapture:

I think your wife is catching on and told mark to say that!

Old 03-16-06, 10:54 AM
Originally Posted by mjd2k
Why hadn't we just moved the mower over to the electrical outlet?
I'll bet, if your supervisor......i mean wife....... had been home, appropriately hovering over you (we call it "just watching"), instead of out, say, shoe shopping, she could've & would've helpfully suggested exactly that.

it's funny how, oftentimes, in situations like these, the man is so deeply engrossed in the details of all the mechanical stuff & whatnot, that it takes the eyes of a practical woman to see the big, simpler picture. and believe me, we do so LOVE to take these opportunities to lovingly suggest, "Hey, Bonehead......i mean, Sweetie...., how about you WHEEL that there lawnmower ON ITS WHEELS over closer to the OUTLET?! i mean, hellooo?!?!" which, of course, is followed immediately by a phone call to our best friend to share the joy of our triumph over your latest humiliation! hee hee!!!!

Old 03-16-06, 11:47 AM
Angry

Heres another one Im not proud of. One day I got in my car and went to start it. It goes click and the dash goes dim. It was winter so I thought maybe be the brand new battery was dead. Put the charger on it and it showed it was fully charged. I never had any trouble with it before so I figured it must be the starter. Got underneth loosend the 2 starter bolts and it drops right out, how simple I thought. Well it needed about 1/8 of a inch yet to get it out. I wiggled it and tried everything, no luck. So to get this 1/8" I had to take the torque converter cover off. But to take this cover off I had to take the front U joint apart to get the drive shaft out of the way for 1 bolt. Finally got the starter out and stuck it on a battery and it spun fine. I figured its 12 years old maybe its just wore out and doesnt have enough power. Put a new one in, $80.00 put everything back together went to start it, same thing. Now what, I was lost and my dad was brething down my back saying "the engines locked up" and was talking about asking a freind of a freind who owns a junk yard if he wants to buy it. I pondered for a while and ran a wire fron the the battery post to the starter, it turned over and smoked the wire. Then I took a large wire from a jumpercable and did the same. Fired right up like it always did. I had to leave for work and told my dad what happened and he said he had a jeep that the battery cable had a bad spot in the middle but looked fine on the outside. I must have the same thing so I bought a new cable and when I was going to remove the old cable I noticed the battery post was corroded. I put the cable back on the battery post and wiggled it and I tried to start it and it took off. Oh man all that work and it was just a dirty battery cable. It almost made me sick, I was so stressed out for 3 or 4 days becuse I didnt know what was wrong with it and my dad kept saying how its junk, the engine seized up.

A friend said he had the same problem but found the dirty cable before he started buying parts. But his brother had this happen and he replaced everything and re wired the whole starting system and did the battery cables last.

I did replace the cable anyways because the old one had a rubber boot that covered the post and water got traped there and caused the problem.

Old 03-17-06, 05:15 AM
Originally Posted by Annette
I'll bet, if your supervisor......i mean wife....... had been home, appropriately hovering over you (we call it "just watching"), instead of out, say, shoe shopping, she could've & would've helpfully suggested exactly that.

it's funny how, oftentimes, in situations like these, the man is so deeply engrossed in the details of all the mechanical stuff & whatnot, that it takes the eyes of a practical woman to see the big, simpler picture. and believe me, we do so LOVE to take these opportunities to lovingly suggest, "Hey, Bonehead......i mean, Sweetie...., how about you WHEEL that there lawnmower ON ITS WHEELS over closer to the OUTLET?! i mean, hellooo?!?!" which, of course, is followed immediately by a phone call to our best friend to share the joy of our triumph over your latest humiliation! hee hee!!!!
Must be a gene. American.......Canadian,..... thousands of miles apart,... different cultures,... and that's EXACTLY what my wife would have said.

Actually if I remember correctly, I think she had suggested moving the house closer to the mower..........whoops.....shhhhh,........ I think I hear the garage door...........she must be coming home.............don't tell her I said that.........gotta go before she finds out I

Old 03-17-06, 10:25 AM
Group Moderator
You've heard the one about the guy who bought a new chainsaw after the salesman wowed him with how much faster he would get his work done, less work, etc, etc. Next day the guy returns the chainsaw and says he wants his money back; didn't save him a bit of time, sweated his butt off for hours getting the woodcutting done, etc, etc. The salesman takes the saw and says let's go out back, I've got some logs out there; we'll see what the problem is. He primes it a couple of times and yanks the cord and the saw roars to life. The customer says, "What's that noise???"

Originally a Pollack joke, but trying to be more sensitive here [and I'm part Polish anyway].

TG

Old 03-17-06, 10:41 AM
ha!! that's a good one!

Old 03-17-06, 10:51 AM
I probably shouldnt post this but I will anyways. My grandma has a craftsman 5.5hp self proprlled 22" lawn mower. She says how its so much harder to push then her old mower so I have to cut her grass for her. She wanted to know why its so hard to push, I told her you start it then push this lever and the front wheels will spin and pull it. Well I still dont think she understands.