Where o where????

Old 01-25-03, 06:45 AM
Where o where????

o k seeing as im logged in ill ask the question. Whatever happened to GwyniChaela? havent heard from her in a while. last i heard she was getting EMT certified. that was back in december!! ANYONE???

Sponsored Links
Old 01-25-03, 07:04 AM
Chelle is busy trying to find a job and take care of her girls. I haven't heard much else, but as soon as I find something out I will post for you.

Seems her access to a computer and time to actually write/post is limited today. The emails I receive from her are short, sweet and to the point: (Just checking in, everythings fine, will write later) kind of emails. I hope that soon that things settle down for her so she can post here again. I miss her, too.

Maybe someone else has heard more from her and can let us know. Who knows, maybe even Chelle herself will update us!

Kay

Old 01-25-03, 07:11 AM
i dont know about where she lives, but here in NJ an EMT cert is good not only for a volunteer EMS, but for one of the many paid and transport serveces we have. the hours are usually pretty flexible too so it can be pretty good in meshing with the kids schedules as well!

Old 01-25-03, 07:37 AM
Before Christmas she mentioned that she was going to begin driving the ambulance. I have, unfortunately, lost touch since then.

When my brother first became an emt, in Tenn., he drove an abulance for a private company. He has since gone on to work as a firefighter/paramedic for a small city.

I hope that she will get back online since I have so many questions for her. I'm also very proud of her.

Kay

Old 01-25-03, 04:48 PM
email

Here's an email I received from her today:

Kay,

o hon! Thanks!

Lemme tell you - things have been so difficult and weird around here....
But here's what's up. At least about that.

I DID pass the state test, (I found out just two weeks ago) with an 83%....

AMR wants me to start on the tenth of Feb (I just got the call two days ago)
I have to pass the physical agility test first.....which is what I 'm working on now.....being able to life that much weight, tho I hear lots of people have failed in and still been passed. So I feel a little better, tho am still stressed.

Anyhow, so if all goes well, in a matter of a couple of weeks I will be driving ambulances with the best of em!!!!

I am sorry for not keeping up, I am SO freakin busy right now, and I wanna get all this out of the way.

Wll try to write some more a little later today, my arms hurt right now from workin out, so gonna go drink some protein shakes...mmmmm gritty.

Chelle

Old 01-26-03, 12:10 PM
GwyniChaela

From private investigator to ambulance driver and a mother of three babies! Now, that's an adventuresome woman with nerves of steel. I, too, hope she returns to the forums soon. The woman has True Grit--maybe she gets that from the gritty protein shakes?

Old 01-26-03, 12:44 PM
Gritty woman, gritty shakes. eeeeew! Sounds like that stuff my brother use to drink. I made the mistake of making fun of it and him...he held me down and made me drink some. YUK. I was probably 14 at the time.

I hope she gets back to us soon. I'm really excited to hear more about her adventures.

Kay

Old 01-27-03, 10:21 AM
kay,
when you write back to her, if you could, tell her the fatkid says congratulations on passing the state test, and welcome to the fast paced, exciting, and sometimes dreadfully boring world of EMS! an old EMT i knew used to say it was periods of boredom broken up by moments of sheer chaos!!

Old 01-27-03, 11:04 AM
I sure will!

Kay

Old 01-27-03, 12:37 PM
GwyniChaela
Visiting Guest
Well Then

Gee~!!!

I feel like the topic of conversation these days.....LOL

I um, oh man.............ugh.

I am working out every day, and my SHOULDERS hurt. More than my arms...tho my legs have this series of ruises running down each - from the weight when it slides...(one test I have to pass is 120 ground to waist and 3 stairs x3..) and I'm only using 75 right now!

HA! Am scheduling my Physical Agility as I type, man am I nervous.....everyone says, OH dont worry......its so laid back - but they were all able to life that weight. UGH.

AHHHHHHH!!!!
All they had was this WEDNESDAY at 0900!!! Oh god. I am more nervous than ever....
Gotta up my weight 10-15 today, and then another 10-15 tomorrow..

Keep me in your thoughts, will be back in the next couple of days - AFTER I screw my test badly..

Old 01-27-03, 02:17 PM
GwyniChaela
Visiting Guest
okay, so I can successfully lift 100 in a milk crate......thats a development as of today, I'm pretty damn proud. Its heavy as H***, but I can get it up......

That I am told is about equal to the 120 on the contraption I gotta lift.......

So now I am using chairs and countertops to practice the actual lifts........ and the stairs outside (darn condos-wheres the house when you need it huh?) to do the stairs times three..

more later!

Old 01-27-03, 02:18 PM
Hey Chelle,

Is that what I have to do to get you back online? Just copy and paste the posts into your email? Hey, I'm on that!

Glad to see you. Good luck Wednesday. Remember: this is just a test, only a test, if it were the real deal we know that your adrenaline would be pumping so high you could lift 500 x this weight .

Love you girl. Have faith in yourself.

Kay

Old 01-27-03, 02:35 PM
Keep at it. Building your upper body strength will go a long way to protect your back in this strenuous job. Just wait until you have a 400 pounder to move. Paramedic since 1995.

Old 01-27-03, 03:12 PM
GwyniChaela
Visiting Guest
HAHAHA Kay. But yes, it helped. I am the baby here 99.9% of the time, and I feel like my posts are only so-so..not very helpful mostly...so when I am missed I gotta get on and at least reply!

So then.....so I am trying to be here in my free time today.

And to you Chris!

THANK YOU!!! Where are you a medic? I am wanting to go back to school for either RN or Medic, tho it's not easy to get a job as either here.

King County (largely Seattle WA) has the largest per capita percentage of grossly overweight people, at least thats what we are told. Lifting someone between 300-500 pouns is NOT uncommon, matter of fact, my bf JUST did a call with a lift of 410. Poor guy, his partner is a 6 foot tall 135 pound girl, who did NOT pass the physical. She has no upper body strength.

I need my back. I cant afford to not have it, with the kids and all........

Old 01-27-03, 03:15 PM
GwyniChaela
Visiting Guest
OH yeah~

BTW - I have NO doubt in my mind that I will be so nervous on Weds, that all my adrenaline will be kicking in!!!!!!!

I hope that will help. Along with the creatine, glutamine, and protein I am using in my workouts to help my muscles heal as fast as possible.

Keep praying......I ain't thru it yet.

Old 01-27-03, 06:36 PM
I work for Greenville County SC EMS. There is no physical ability test here, and it shows.

A few years back, my partner of many years and I lifted and loaded and unloaded a pt who had been weighed by the hospital at 495 pounds.

I have seen too many in EMS, especially young ones, blow their backs trying to lift improperly or beyond their ability. Mostly young ones, who are still indestructible.

I take care of my back and try to always lift properly. I think that I am the oldest paramedic working a 911 truck everyday. I don't want to get hurt at work.

Old 01-27-03, 07:39 PM
GwyniChaela
Visiting Guest
At 495, we'd be required to call for a backup rig.

Working for a private company, they are allowed to do whatever they want as far as testing, but even the FD and Pd's have strict tests, but those are just to get into the departments!!

There is such a wide range of people in the field out here...age wise........I am certainly not the baby in this case as we can get licensed at 19....and I am nearing 22.

I am also considering national registry with my b/f........I know its different for medics, but have you considered/done it????

Old 01-28-03, 05:39 AM
I am originally from Mississippi, a national registry state and have maintained it all along. South Carolina is headed to national registry.

One value to national registry is that it is something that you can take with you wherever you may go.

As far as age goes, I am on what they call a century truck. My partner is 47 years old.

Be safe. You have only one back.

Old 01-28-03, 06:49 AM
NJ is moving to natnl reg as well. soon new emts will no longer take a state test, they will be taking the natnl reg test. as far as im concerned its about time. always remember, you arent indestructable. as chris says its easy to fall in that i can do anything mode, and thats when you get hurt. calling for backup for a lift just makes sense. i dont know about w/ a private company, but with us we will call the PD or FD if we need help w/ a lift and there is no available 2nd crew. good luck Chelle, its great to see you back!! sounds like your holidays were crazier than mine!!! Got to spend lots of time w/ the wife and kids though!!NICE!!!
BTW will you be doing emergency calls as well? in NJ, private services do both, depending on what deal towns make. volunteer ems in this part of NJ is in pretty sad shape. lots of towns are going to private Co.'s during the days, and volleys at night. some volley squads are even starting to bill patients!!! WEIRD!!!

Old 01-28-03, 07:02 AM
BTBTW- kay, thanks for such quick results!!!! i didnt expect to hear back so soon!

Old 01-28-03, 07:58 AM
I was pretty amazed out how quickly she got online after I simply copied your post and pasted it into an email. No letter or comments, just that.

If I had known that it would get her back online I would have done that with other posts as well!

Now...if we can just keep her here.

Kay

Old 01-28-03, 11:25 AM
GwyniChaela
Visiting Guest
Okay, guys, I know, and I get it...

I just don't usually sit in front of my puter, why my emails are all so boring.

Holidays were okay, tho stressful, I did get to see my family, that was nice.

We Don't HAVE volunteer EMT's; at least not in this area. (we DO have some more rural volunteer FD's tho) AMR (American Medical Response) is the biggest company, tho there are two others that do concentrate more on the south and north ends. We hold te contract for Seattle Fire - which is what I am trying to get on - a fire car. Sit mostly in the Seattle Metro area and wait for calls....mostly priority.....we also then care for the Seattle PD calls as well - lots of psych calls with them. Even our other cars get emergency calls, if Fire isnt taking it, or out to accidents - on rotation with State Patrol. So that eeryone keeps up their clinical trauma skills.

We are NOT required to beconme nationally registered, just one more patch we can wear....and of course King County (we have to license county AND state) only has EMT-B's, so even if we DO nationally register, if we don't go certify on our own (we can still only practice as EMT-B's in this county)....for most other states we still can't just work. Lots of states don't HAVE EMT-B's..(cab drivers)

Anyway, I still am considering national anyway. Just ONE more thing to add to my list.

Speaking of, I was looking for an interim job while I waited...I got the weirdest looks from people- was looking mostly in retail. They were all saying things like - 'What are you doing looking for a retail job???????' and 'You are WAY over-qualified for this position..............???' hehe

Cute, huh??

Alright, thats enough babbling for now....gotta go work out lightly for tomorrow morning...maybe check back in later, but most likely not til tomorrow!

Old 01-28-03, 01:04 PM
Good luck tomorrow! I'll be thinking about you. Post or email as soon as you can.

Kay

Old 01-28-03, 02:05 PM
GwyniChaela
Visiting Guest
I've decided that my extreme nervousness is good, since I usually do well on things that I get insanely nervous about.

<jitter> <jitter> <jitter>

Old 01-29-03, 04:21 PM
GOOD NEWS!!!!!!

******Email from Chelle:

"Well kids, it's over. All the testing, that is.

Yes, I passed~~~~~~~~~~!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

YAYYAYAYYAYYAYAYYAYAYYAY!!!

Barring any problems with my background check, or my drug test....(which they should have back tomorrow) - I will be starting on 2/10!!!!!

<sigh> It's done. 6 months in the making, and finally I am finished!

An official, legal, licensed and trained EMT.

More news later, now I need to go lay down, my arms are KILLING me!!

Michelle"
-----------------------------------------------
Woohoo! You go girl! We all knew you could do it!!!!!!

So proud of you!!!!!!!!

Kay

Old 01-29-03, 04:56 PM
GwyniChaela
Visiting Guest
Well, I see I have been precluded by myself.

Yes, it's true. I passed. I flew thru everything, except the 120 pounds on the stairs. THAT I struggled with, BUT.....I still passed sufficiently!

So - here I now sit and wait for the drug test to come back (they said one business day)...and then hope that the background came back clean............LOL....if it didn't we have more serious issues!!

THEN, I am to be mailed an offer letter, wish I would just get a phone call...ugh. BUT - new hire starts in 11 days! YAY! So now I just wait it out...11 more days of freedom(entrapment?) and then I get to go back to work!!!!!!

Oh well, I AM SO TIRED... going to go lay down again, but I wanted to make sure everyone got told as promised!!!!

Old 01-29-03, 04:57 PM
GwyniChaela
Visiting Guest
I'd like to point out,

this is the most work I have ever done to secure a job, BAR NONE.

Oh my goodness, I think I am required to work here for the next TEN years just to make up for all the work, preparation, testing..and schooling I did!!

HEHE

Old 01-30-03, 05:48 AM
Great job!!!!!! and you were worried. Congratulations and good luck on the new job!!!

Old 01-30-03, 06:49 AM
Chelle,

I apologize for jumping in ahead of you and sharing the good news. I got too excited for my own good. Please forgive me.

Kay

Old 01-30-03, 11:51 AM
GwyniChaela
Visiting Guest
Oh MOM-like person.

Don't apologize....I thought it was cute had I been offended I would have approached you....

No worries, I am all smiles here.....with a little soreness thrown in for good measure.

And thank you!

I hoped that my being worried was a good thing, and it turned out it was.

Old 01-30-03, 03:15 PM
**Mom-like person**

can't hep' it. i guess it runs in my blood too deep!

Kay

Old 01-30-03, 03:32 PM
GwyniChaela
Visiting Guest
hehe, i know