Military Families Sacrifices

Old 02-18-03, 03:31 PM

Author Unknown

You probably didn't realize who was sitting next to you. You rattled on about how silly this anti-terrorist war is, and that it's just a political ploy. You said you'd never let your son run off to fight, and you'd throw a fit if they just sent your husband off.

At that point, I almost turned around and told you who I am. I am a military spouse.

Life in the military has never been easy. It means low pay with no
overtime, watching your husband go to work with a fever because the doctor didn't deem him sick enough for the day off. It means years of rules and protocol that wear on you like a dripping faucet late at night. Don't even get me going on the weekly inspection of our yards.

We live with Terms like "Exercise" which means 12 hour shifts.
And "TDY," which means your spouse is gone for up to 180 days.
And "Remotes," which means your spouse is gone for longer than 180 days. And finally, "PCS," which means your whole family is going on this ride.

Don't get me wrong, whining is not my intent here. While the road we've been down in the military hasn't always been paved; it's been a good life.

My kids know you don't wait to make friends because you never know how long they'll be here. We know how precious good friends are even when miles separate us.

It wasn't always in vogue to be patriotic. Sept. 11 helped turn that tide, but flags are fading around here again.

My husband is TDY (temporary duty) right now. I'm not allowed to tell you where. I'm 26 days into a 109-day TDY.

There have been too many times I have needed him here. Forget the running of the home fort-there are kisses and hugs that should be taking place. I lie in bed and try to recall what his breathing sounds like next to me-or I hear the door open and try to envision him walking in from work. What I would give to hear his clear voice without telephone static and worrying about how much the phone call will cost us. Then the deep fear -what if this separation becomes permanent?

Distance is a horrible thief of what is precious, because it only
reminds us of how precious it is. You kept on talking for a while.

I then realized I was picking up your tab. You could sit there freely and give your opinion because of the military families like ours. We are paying the price for your freedom. I've heard it said that soldiers of the past, present and future pay for the flag.

Nah, we're the threads it's woven with.

***I am not a military wife. I received this in an email today ***

Sponsored Links
Old 02-18-03, 03:50 PM
Wow, what a great piece!

My best friends husband is overseas for one year with a 364 day 'option' on top of that. He could miss his youngest child's first day of school and miss his oldest childs elementary graduation. Hopefully he will be back for those events.

I get really mad when I see those anti-war yard signs and the Peace Now buttons. I think those people should get some guts and be real Americans.

Our guys and girls out there need all of our support, every day. I heard that if you support the war on terrorism, write your congressman and let them know. That is what I will be doing. Emails are nice, but rarely read by your actual congressman. A professional, short and sweet business type letter gets read by them!

I'll keep my flags flying high for our military girls and guys!

Sandie

Old 02-18-03, 04:44 PM
I thought it was beautiful too. It brought tears to my eyes, which is something rare. I also felt so bad about whining to my husband about having to work out of town. He's only 9 hours from here, and will be home in a few weeks. How petty of me when there are families like you mentioned that may not see their husbands for years, and then there is the very real possibility that they may not make it home.

My flag still flies high at my home. My neighbor across the street has his flag held by two firefighters. It is a beautiful monument to the firefighters of 9/11. A gentleman in the cove had a flag pole (full size) put in his front yard. The American Flag, not a Mississippi flag, flies there daily. Around the pole during the summer months are red, white and blue flowers. Pretty amazing!

Kay

Old 02-19-03, 05:21 PM
sunshine1952
Visiting Guest
my family has some military also. my brothers in the navy on subs . i never know where he is and he can be down for 6 months with no contact. my brother in law isin the air force in florida . i have a friend whos son in law is who knows where and my daughters friends fiance is gone. we may not agree on war but we need to support the ones who are taking care of us. my prayers to all the military out there. may they all come home to their families. ( i have to say though i think the leaders ought to punch it out and leave all the innocents out of it . duel at 20 paces)

Old 03-07-03, 11:18 AM
was doing some work at my cousins last night, and got to read a letter from his fiance's son who is somewhere in Kuwait. this kid, 22, joined the marines 4 years ago due to lack of direction and felt it would help him gain focus in life. he is scheduled to be discharged in a couple of months. all that has changed now. who knows how long uncle sam will need his services. i would just like to say how proud i am of him and the resolve and good spirits he conveys in his letters home despite his location and current profession(soldier). heres to praying they will all be home soon w/ no negative outcome to the situation that has taken them from us.

Old 03-07-03, 03:04 PM
Welllllll,
This post sort of hit home last Saturday. The Post-person drove up to the door to deliver a Western Union Registered Mailgram to my X-Marine son. Spent four years in the Corps (been out over a yr) and now I have to take him to Va. Beach next Wed.
10 days notice - great. The coding on the orders looks like he's on his way to Camp Pendleton, Ca. And he was just getting settled down with a decent job and a nice gal.
I'll be telling him to kick some butt if he gets the chance!!.

fred

Old 03-08-03, 07:12 AM
Camp Pendelton is where my friend's husband shipped out from too.
We are going to an early birthday party tonite for my nephew in Columbus (GA) because his dad is shipping out from Ft. Benning on the 18th.
With all of the deployments I have read and heard about, I KNOW we WILL kick some butt!!!!
Seeing the excerpts from the Tony Blair MTV Town Hall show this morning just re-affirmed my belief that we are doing the right thing for security and the people of Iraq. If you are able, watch it and pay attention to what the Iraqi exile teens are saying. It will hopefully be a real eye-opener to those who haven't decided whether or not they should support our position in this situation.
Sandie

Last edited by onourown; 03-09-03 at 10:54 AM.
Old 03-08-03, 02:18 PM
Group Moderator
Shame on you, Fred, for saying "X-Marine"! There are "Former" Marines and "Retired" Marines, but the only ex-Marines are the ones shown the door after a court martial. "Once a Marine, Always a Marine".

Always good to see support for the people in the trenches, whether you agree with administration policy or not. The people who piss me off are the ones who like to use the overworked & underpaid servicemembers and their families as targets of opportunity while excercising their freedom of speech - bought and paid for by the men and women in uniform who they disdain.

Para-phrasing an old Marine saying:

"Military spouse; toughest job in the Department of Defense".

The Tow Guy
Master Gunnery Sergeant
USMC - Retired
1972-1999

Old 03-08-03, 03:11 PM
The Tow Guy,

You are absolutely right. I heard that (Cra.....er stuff from three sides for a long, long, time. Dad (G'Canal & Iwo), brother (Gitmo & Oki) and my PRESENT Marine son. He heard there were no Amtraks left at LeJeune- all deployed.

But, Alas, I did pay my dues- Nam grunt '67 - Big Red One.

fred
(anyway, I was hoping he was x and done.)

Old 03-09-03, 01:06 PM
Group Moderator
Thankfully I'm in the "done" category.