Daddy-Daughter nite

Old 02-27-03, 06:20 AM
Talking Daddy-Daughter nite

kay i was thinking of what you posted the other day about this topic. had the best time that nite. WW was working nites, and had the two of them on either side of me as we watched Shrek (great movie incidentally), my 5yo started off with how great i was and how much she loved me, then the 3yo chimed in not to be out done. they kept it up most of the movie, as if daddy's head isnt big enough. i definately need nites like that!!! it makes WW's empty spot on the couch easier to deal with. i wish they would always feel that way, but i know when they reach those teen years im gonna go from the hero to the zero. SCARES the hell out of me!!!!!

Sponsored Links
Old 02-27-03, 11:36 AM
Group Moderator
How you treat them when they're young has a big impact on what kind of teenager they turn into. My 14 year old daughter and I have an excellent relationship [though she would never admit it in public] and it started when she was the age of your kids.

Old 02-27-03, 11:40 AM
from your mouth to GOD's ear!!!! i hope that is the case. i try tospend as much time with them as i can, and be their friend, while at the same time disciplining them when needed. they truly are the best!!!!!!
BTW 4-6" of snow predicted for tonite!!!!

Old 02-27-03, 01:29 PM
My kids and I have a great relationship, too. I know I gripe a lot about them and to them (that's my job LOL), but when it comes down to it, we're all in it together and hang close together.

They don't tell me to my face, but their friends tell me that I'm a really cool mom from what they are told by my kids. I try really hard to balance the mom/friend deal, too. My kids know that they can talk to me about anything, however I do expect my kids to respect me.

My father and I were always close and I had the upmost respect for him as well. This I believe was due to our daddy-kid nights because he came down to our level to play. Those moments always made me know just how special I was to my father. That he could have been doing something else but chose to spend it with me watching what I wanted to watch, eating what I wanted to eat, etc. I felt so special, and knew that I was loved. The show don't tell factor is the most important of all!

Kay

Ps. I'm sorry for not seeing this post earlier. I have been super distracted and not watching my forums like I usually do. Being mom had to supercede my duties here.

K

Old 02-27-03, 02:59 PM
you are forgiven...just kiddin

no appology needed, family takes precedence over all.

Old 03-02-03, 12:56 PM
My philosphy on children is that it is not my role be their friend. If they are lucky, I will be a good father. When they grow up and my parental duties are over, I can be their friend.

It worked for me. My two daughters, 29 and 24, are good friends, although having to be the father at times was worse than anything. In their confessions, they tell me that although there was much tension growing up, they knew I was doing the right thing and was unswayed by popular opinion and trends. This has enabled them to hold their own when all the morons are spouting popular nonsense around them.

Old 03-06-03, 06:45 AM
Chris- it harkens me back to a commercial we have on TV here where it shows kids talking to the camera w/ attitude about how hard their parents were on them and how they didnt trust them. at the end they go thruall the kids and they all smile and thank them for it!!!!!

had a great day saturday. had a massage therapist come in to give WW an hour massage(would have loved to use your services if you were still up here in NJ Sunshine!!), and i took the girls to this place by us with one of those tube mazes. this thing was huge and it kept them busy for 2 hours!!!!! they didnt want to leave. WW got the afternoon off (from the kids) and got to relax. i then came home and made dinner, (jumbo T-bones and French fries). it really was great to see her so loose and relaxed, cause she is usually twisted up to the max. feels good to give her some "her time" to relax and forget about all the stuff going on, even if it was only for a couple of hours.

Old 03-06-03, 07:25 AM
My idea of being a parent in no way conflicts with the idea of having fun with your children.

Old 03-06-03, 07:55 AM
I'm the same way with my kids Chris. strict when I need be, and have fun when its appropriate too. Being a parent isn't easy. Have to be able to balance all that out.

Kay

Old 03-06-03, 08:12 AM
i guess my parents had the same philosophy as the two of you. i try to keep as close to that as i can. the kids seem to know that if dad yells something is wrong. i try to limit the yelling so that it isnt the norm. they seem to pick up on the fact that dad only yells when something is seriously wrong. its hard trying to straddle that line, but i pray i will be able to look back like you chris and say i did right by my girls. i feel it is important to (even at this young age) give them the tools they will need to become contributing members of society.
BTW didnt mean to sound as if your idea of parenting and fun were mutually exclusive. i grew up with the knowledge that i could tell my folks anything, and even tho i probably didnt tell them as much as i should have, i do thank them both for the "hardline" they took with me

Old 03-06-03, 08:25 AM
I try not to yell at my kids unless I'm yelling to them down the street LOL, or over a radio, etc.

My parents wouldn't listen to me, were somewhat strict, but I didn't feel that if I needed to talk about something that I thought was very personal...I didn't talk to them. There were a lot of things that could have been handled so much better while growing up if I had my parents holding my hand or talking me through it. Some were pretty big issues, too, but its okay now. I just want my kids to know that the bottom line is that I am mom, and I am the parent in the house. However, if an issue comes up that you feel is too big for you I will be both parent and listener (hard when your kid says that she's trying to quit smoking at 15!) without judging them or doing what my mom did: the tsk sound, and the look of total disappointment in me. Like I said, its hard to balance things, plus a lot of the approach depends upon the individual child as well.

Adventures in parenting guys!

Kay

Old 03-06-03, 08:43 AM
yeah!!! how come they dont come with manuals???? does it scare anyone else that you need a liscence to own a dog, but anyone w/ the right equipment can have a child???

Old 03-06-03, 09:02 AM
That is pretty scary isn't it!!!!! And the thought! Leaving us well meaning adults without a clue!

Kay