Protecting my dogs

Old 03-13-03, 07:57 PM
Protecting my dogs

The following is a rant. If you are sensitive to demeaning phrases and abusing people, stop here.

Across the street from me lives an old fellow and his wife. He is 74, she is 80. Retired, nothing to do but hang out.

I have the house directly across the street from him. It sits on an acre, 3/4 of it is fenced. Only a short section, perhaps 30 feet runs along the front property line. I have two dogs, Australian Shepherds, both spayed females. One is 5, the other 5-1/2 years old.

These two are special to me. They sleep indoors at night, and spend their time in and out as it suits during the day. They go outside of the fence only on leashes. As with most dogs, they bark at passers-by, sing to the fire trucks, and generally stay in touch with everything in the area. They are quite friendly to everyone. I always offer to put them up when a service person needs to come inside the house or the fence. Most like dogs. The meter reader, HVAC repair man, electrician all come and go with the dogs at their heels wanting to be petted.

Now the fellow across the street has always been the object of the most agressive barking that I have seen them display. After we had lived here a few weeks, I learned why. He comes up to the fence, the dogs run out to bark at him, and he throws stones at them, yells at them, and pounds the fence with sticks. I confronted him about this. His comment was that the dogs did not like him. I told him that the real problem was that the dogs were afraid of him. On more than one occasion, I have caught him antagonizing the dogs. I have told him repeatedly that baiting the dogs could have disasterous consequences if he should ever have the misfortune to come inside the fence.

I guess that he is just not the brightest light in the room.

One day I happened to look out the window and saw him headed for the gate with his bucket. He comes and picks some figs on occasion in the summer. This is by arrangement, so that I have the dogs in the house. One of the dogs was in the house, Kelsey, the smaller one. I guess he thought both of them were in the house. I managed to head him off before he got the to the gate. He said that he did not see any of the dogs in the yard and thought it was OK to pick figs. I pointed out to him that the other dog, Tess, was sleeping in the shadow cast by the garage.

Tess is an alpha female. Well trained, smart, loving.

We have lived here over two years, now. I have told this idiot not to yell at the dogs, throw rocks at the dogs, and not to beat on the fence. I have told him that the dogs are afraid of him, and would hurt him if they felt threatened. I have explained to him that they dogs can get from the furthest point in the yard to the fence in less time than he could get the gate completely open. They can make it in 3 seconds.

As recently as Tuesday, I talked to him about the dogs, and told him not to harass them.

The following comes from a conversation that my wife had with my next door neighbor, who feeds my dogs when I am out of town. This afternoon, when no one was home, he heard the dogs barking loudly, then heard one of them cry. When came out of his front door, he saw this cretin beating the dogs over the fence with a length of some plastic pipe looking device. In order to be at the gate where he was, he had to come 90 feet into my property to be at the gate. My neighbor called him down and ran him off. He checked on the dogs. When my wife came home aroung 5:30 p. m., he told her what happened.

It is a good thing that I did not see him doing this, or he would have had it done to him in return until someone came to his aid.

Tomorrow morning, I am going to confront him about this attack on my dogs. I am going to tell him that he may never, ever come on my property on pain of being arrested for tresspass. I will follow up with the sheriff's department about the proper papers. I will also explain to him the personal, physical consequences of my catching him harassing or trying to injure my dogs.

It is really hard to imagine that someone is so stupid, viscious, and mean to to what he has been doing to the girls. I am going to install a video camera to pan the area to monitor the happenings out in that part of the yard in the future.

People who abuse and neglect animals are the lowest form of life and possibly a waste of protoplasm. I will try my best to see that this monster goes to jail for as long as possible.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-13-03, 08:21 PM
Dogs

The first thing that comes to mind is dementia in old people. It is difficult to communicate with old folks with dementia. They tend to get some mind sets that you can not overcome. Since the guy is coming to your property and attacking dogs at and over the fence, then this is trespassing. You can take legal action. The cruelty to dog folks would love to jump on the band wagon. But, I am thinking more about the minds of old folks.

You can attract more flies with honey. Perhaps if you invited the old folks over for dinner or dessert and introduce them to the dogs that it would make a difference. You state that your dogs are fenced in and are not a threat or bother to anyone. Rather than being antagonistic in this situation, I think it would be best to be patronizing.

Forgive me, if I do not post a strategic response. I visit the local nursing home frequently, so I am very familiar with the minds of the elderly. Somewhere in the past of this individual perhaps he perceived dogs to be an enemy. If he is leaving his yard and coming to yours and attacking your dogs across the fence, he is antagonistic.

The challenge is to endear your neighbors and to endear them to your dogs. Before you become aggressive in this situation, I beg you to become more patronizing and to try to cultivate a relationship with your neighbors and the dogs. If all that fails and the mental health of the neighbors are beyond such resurrections of a relationship, then you can contact authorities.

Old 03-13-03, 08:22 PM
Angry

That made my skin crawl just reading it. Why? Why would someone do that? Just because...? Why? Jeez, to be such a chatting person, words escape me.

It pains me for the girls' sake. I wonder how long this has gone on and no one saw. Thank goodness your neighbor saw this. Thank goodness. Its no wonder they dislike him so. I dislike him, too.

Do what you need to do to get this guy. Every legal thing you can do, please do it. Post stills of your videos in the local paper if you catch him on tape. Submit them as anonymous to a reporter that handles cases like this. Do what you have to do to take this guy down, without resorting to physical violence. Don't reduce yourself to his level.

Kay

Old 03-13-03, 08:46 PM
Except for the matter of the dogs, we have a good relationship. I go over on occasion and visit, take care of legal problems for them, mostly tell them whom to contact, and take him to the store for groceries and to run errands.

This is the sole sore point.

He has to cross a rather busy state road on foot to get over here. And he has to walk 90 feet from the property line to get back to where the incident occurred today. He had to find this pipe device he was using. He had to reach over a four foot fence to hit dogs that are 19 inches tall. Terry said one of them was lying on the ground crying while he beat her.

This is not Alzheimer's dementia, in my mind.

Old 03-14-03, 10:51 AM
maggy1
Visiting Guest
go get'em, girl

Introducing them at this point is a frightening suggestion because the dogs won't understand - they will be frightened, scared and possibly aggressive.

An expensive, but for sure, suggestion is to install a fence inside the fence you already have. That way, he can't reach the dogs - I'm assuming it is unlikely you will ever speak to him again - if you do - you're a better person than I.

This person is dangerous - he should be stopped.

Sounds like the attack was planned and whether or not dimensia has set in ceases to be the point - now he has put himself in a dangerous position - if those dogs get to him - I'm not liking his chances. Aggressive or not, if these dogs have been treated like this...........they will get even.

On the other side of the coin, I go outside my house on my way to work this morning and find (for the nteen time) the people's dog across the road running down the sidewalk. She has no ability to deal with traffic etc and is spooked easily.

I get my treats (I have no pets but do have a few furry friends in the neighbourhood who stop by with their owners), coax the dog back home (she wears no collar!), ring the doorbell, when the lady answers, tell her her dog was running on the road. There is absolutely no reaction - just a thanks and a shut door!

i think I worry about that darn dog more than she does!

Old 03-14-03, 11:15 AM
I am going to extend the fence at the property line to 6 feet. No one can reach over that height. That way he cannot come in contact with the girls unless he comes onto my property.

He and I had a meeting about this today. He tried to beat around that bush; and I had to simply tell him how it was going to be.

If he will leave the dogs alone, there won't be any trouble. I tried to get him to understand that. Unfortunately, this is not the first time that we have had this discussion.

It is easy to tell that Tess is unusually keen to his presence and whereabouts now.

We will see where this goes.

Old 03-14-03, 01:49 PM
maggy1
Visiting Guest
Congratulations!

You're a better person than I!

Hope it goes well.........

Old 03-16-03, 04:32 PM
Things seem to be going OK. We are still speaking.

Old 03-17-03, 05:19 AM
maggy1
Visiting Guest
I admire you for being able to do that - know I couldn't - things like that only happen once as far as I'm concerned - I'm with Kay - charge him - prosecute him as far as you can - the man is dangerous.

I bet Tess will keep a pretty close watch on him.

Old 03-17-03, 05:41 AM
I am glad that you are able to find another way to handle this issue with him. I went off the deep end because I was angry. I get on to my kids for using that excuse for their actions ("I was angry so I....").

I'm still angry. LOL. I admire that you can take a different approach, and I hope that it works out well. Maybe I just have very little patience in areas like this. I want it done, and over with quickly. I can't say that I would be that big of a person. It just reminds me of when the neighborhood big kids decided to beat the fool out of my 10yo son. I totally went off the deep end about that. I really didn't, but did call the police. I didn't know what else to do but involve them. They sent out several cars, and talked to all the children involved as well as the parents. No charges were filed, etc. We (parents) just all had to talk together with the police there. It helped a lot to have the police MAKE the parents get involved in this. It was beyond boys being boys at that point.

Kay

Ps. I know that children and dogs are different, but to me, not really. LOL I take my responsibility as a pet owner the same way I do as a parent to my children.

K.

Old 03-17-03, 08:46 AM
maggy1
Visiting Guest
I'm with you, Kay. I don't have children (an 18 year old stepson with my husband). I expect people to have the same control over their pets as their children. I really don't see much difference in the way they should both be cared for.

I admire the )*&* out of Chris, though. I know I couldn't do the same.

Old 03-21-03, 03:46 AM
I would prosecute him, I think he will continue to abuse animals until some one stops him. I think itís empowering his abuse to talk to him. It might not be your dogs, but how would you feel if he injures one of the other animals in the neighbor hood? Just my opinion and I tend to anger easily.

Old 03-21-03, 06:56 PM
What this guy is doing is worse than terrible. You said you sometimes help him with legal problems. I'm guessing you might have a couple of friends in law enforcement. Spring Break is around the corner. I would find a neighborhood teen with a camera capable of date/time stamping and have them hang out -out of clear sight- and take pictures of this guy coming on to your property and/or messing with the girls during Spring Break. Give these pictures to the law enforcement friend in case he denies anything and ask if they could drop by and have a 'little chat' with him before or after their shift (therefore still uniformed) and advise him that he is in danger of violating the law - tresspassing and animal cruelty. The officer could tell him that this is just a courtesy call to let him know that this is serious stuff and he (the neighbor) really doesn't want to cause any problems for himself or be the source of neighborhood unpleasantry. Maybe this little visit would impress upon this guy that you don't want to have to take extreme measures with him, but you will protect your dogs since they are an extension of your family. Just my $.02

Old 04-09-03, 08:56 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Well, I hate to do it but I will take this opportunity to ramble a bit... First, I am in 100% agreement with Twelvepole... These are not teen derelicts that we are talking about... This is an older guy that is to be respected as a person and as your elder (assuming you aren't in your 80's)... Now don't get me wrong... If he is going out of his way to antagonize your dogs, he is definitely wrong... However, I am of the belief that while pets are important and we have a moral obligation to "care for our domestic animals...", we have a much greater obligation to our neighbors... So what I am really saying is that you did the absolute right thing in talking to him again... It may be appropriate to ask him not to get near the fence any longer, and I really like the idea of inviting them over and trying to get him comfortable around the dogs... I guess what bothers me most is that some people would go shoot a neighbor that abuses their animals as if there is some high moral virtue in that...

Bottom line... Pets are important... People are more important...

And not to get religious or anything, but for all you Bible readers out there, I have a question... If we read the Bible and we know the story of Noah and the ark, then we remember that Noah was commanded to take 2 of many animals, and 7 of many others onto the ark.... Now my question is, what happened to the countless MILLIONS of other animals that were not on the ark?

Old 04-09-03, 09:05 PM
I am so glad this has been brought up here. I am realizing what kind of person I am, and the kind of person that I want to be. Yes, as said, pets are important but humans are more important. There has to be, and is a better way of dealing with this. I was wrong in my first answer. It was a reaction, not a response. I let my emotions rule me instead of calming down and using this so-called human brain of my to develop a response that would positive. I'm proud of and in awe of Chris and his ability to do just that. To think, and respond.

Kay

Old 04-09-03, 09:09 PM
My summary was incomplete and I apologize....

What I meant was...

Pets are important, people are MORE important, and people like Twelvepole and Kaybyrd are MOST important... ...

Old 04-09-03, 09:14 PM
I understood what you meant. My cats are important to me, but shouldn't be a reason for me to want to cause physical pain to a human or lose all self-control or reason. I was really, really, really angry with this gentleman. After simply reading the post I could honestly see me standing in the street yelling and screaming at him, making a teetotal fool of myself and accomplishing nothing...except maybe to make matters worse.

Kay

Old 04-09-03, 09:22 PM
I knew you were just responding quickly and in annoyance... I personally liked Chfite's idea of taking the guys PVC pole from him and giving him some "learnin'..." , but I believe you are correct that matter would simply be made far worse... Hey Chfite, might I make a suggestion though? Put up one of those fence and collar deals where the fence sends a shock through the collar if it gets too close to the fence, and then ask your neighbor to wear the collar... .... Sorry, just kidding...

Old 04-09-03, 09:46 PM
ROFL!!!!!

Kay

Old 04-09-03, 09:56 PM
Dogs

I never knew I made such a moving statement. Thank you, Ragnar, after a horrible day at work, you and marturo have saved me. And, as marturo always tries, we should take the direct approach first. I type through tears and bless you and marturo.

My response is based on my years of family studies research (some of which included gerontological), as well as weekly visits to the local nursing home. I am almost as good as a dog because of big SAD brown eyes, freckles, and red hair and nursing home folks spot me from a mile off down the corridors.

When dealing with older folks, we must take lots of things into consideration. It is not best to take these old folks by the horns. Medications, chemical imbalances, and lots of other issues are at hand.

I recommend a tea party. (This is from a person who never opens her blinds or answers her door.) Invite the folks over for lunch. Who knows, you might become an heir? We attract more flies with honey.

All I know is that dealing with the mindset of aged folks in nursing homes and within families I have had the opportunity with whom to interact, I encounter folks who tend not to be operating with a full deck for whatever reason. A few weeks of volunteerism at your local nursing home or with your neighbors willll change your tune.

I had no intention of becming a nursing home volunteer, but when my bookkeeper's mother and a friend of mine's mother required me to be there at the nursing home, I am now an institution. How could you miss an Irish setter? Everyone at the nursing home now wants to hug me. A skinny person with big sad brown eyes and a big head of red hair walks in. They want me. How can I refuse. Spend some time at a local, lonely, nursing home and you quickly become a house pet.