Hello? WMD's, where are you?

Closed Thread

Old 04-16-03, 10:44 PM
MsChip
Visiting Guest
Hello? WMD's, where are you?

Soooo, where are these weapons of mass (WMD) distruction that we went to war over? Wasn't this the primary reason why we went to war with Iraq in the first place, in search of proof that the smoking gun existed so it couldn't ever be used against other countries or our own country? So far the news hasn't showed anything subtantial yet that hasn't proven a "possitive" result in chemical test, no matter how many embedded reporters are nestled in with coilition troops report back info. Oh, hey, maybe Geraldo knows where Saddam hid those weapons. Who's brave enough to ask him for an opinion? (remember his opening of Al Capone's safe and the dramatic disappointment when it turned up empty? *LOL*) At any rate, I surely hope they find something in Iraq soon because right how I'm having a difficult time justifying the idea of our government spending $70+ billion based upon some CIA hunch that WMD's might have existed.

Incidentally, have the online betting parlors began taking bets as to when we're suppose to invade Syria next?

Don't throw those yellow ribbons away just yet!

Sponsored Links
Old 04-17-03, 04:21 AM
The WMD was destroyed by four large kabooms - his name was Saddam Hitler. I need nothing more than that!

poSitive
coAlition

Syria, in a couple months.

fred

Old 04-24-03, 01:16 PM
im with you fred, anyone who would use WMD's on their own people, needed to be taken out. no offense Ms. Chip, but i would take off the paper bag and look around. reports are that he destroyed many of them (WMD's), days before the war started, and im sure there will be more interesting things found in the days to come. what about all of the torture chambers and hidden $$$ and supplies that were found?? I suppose all of the suicide bomb vests (>800 at last count i think)dont count??? this was an opressive regime and the fact that the people are in the streets protesting is truly a beautiful thing whether they are pro usa or not the fact that these people CAN express their opinions now w/o fear is awesome. we have witnessed the freedom of a nation!!!!

Last edited by fatkid66; 04-24-03 at 03:35 PM.
Old 04-25-03, 12:13 PM
MsChip
Visiting Guest
With all due respect, Fat Kid, I don't think you were really paying much attention as to why this war occured, based upon your silly response. The sole reason given to the UN, and to the entire world, why we went to war in Iraq was that the US had some type of intelligance that reflected Saddam had WMDs and the US feared WMD would be used against out country. Yet there is not one public report or photos made available, what-so-ever, to support Bush's "theory" that a single WMD existed in Iraq or anything that the UN couldn't find. All Bush is doing right now is trying to cover his butt with the UN and US Citizens for this war by spinning out even more of his theories that MAYBE Syria MIGHT have Saddam's WMD or Saddam MIGHT have destroyed them. Other than that, the rest is nothing but all bolognie.

Old 04-25-03, 12:27 PM
First off, we need to calm down in here or I will close the thread, better yet delete the entire deal.

Second, an opinion stated is simply that, an opinion stated. Just because you disagree doesn't mean the other person is wrong. Respect another's post in here or your posts will be deleted and the poster possibly be banned.

Third, there are too many 'reports' as to why we were there. They range from wmd to freeing people, to...well too many to go into here without it all ending up being spectulation.

Aside from all that I am an American and I will stand by my country whatever if chooses to do. If I can't do that, then I will exercise my American right leave this country.

Kay

Old 04-25-03, 12:35 PM
as i see it a 747 is as much of a WMD as anything else. i believe the WMD deal was one facet of the war, but i also believe the support of terrorists was another part of it. do you mean to say that the former iraqi regime was not supportive of terrorists??? are you trying to say that we made a mistake in doing what we did in iraq??? this country is huge, the size of idaho im told, im sure in due time you will get all of the evidence you require. as far as my response being silly every one is entitled to their opinions. as silly as some might feel they are. thats the beauty of freedom. im entitled to my silly opinion although im sure im not alone. im not quite sure where you are located, but as people in the NYC and DC areas can tell you it doesn't need to be NBC (nuclear, biological, chemical) to be a weapon of mass destruction!!!!

B.T.D.T.B.T.T.S.

Old 05-07-03, 08:40 AM
I Are Baboon
Visiting Guest
These people that were opposed to the war who are now asking where the weapons are crack me up. Before the war, they wanted to give the inspectors more time to find weapons and had all the patience in the world. Now that we have removed Saddam from power and can begin our search, the same anti-war people are showing ZERO patience and want to see results NOW. What happened to that patience you had four months ago? Sit back and relax....proof of WMD are on the way, it's just a matter of time.

Hey, my first post! Welcome to the board, me!

Last edited by I Are Baboon; 05-07-03 at 09:17 AM.
Old 05-07-03, 09:05 AM
Welcome I Are Baboon,

Touche!!
Really, the only WMD I want is Saddam. Oh, and Bin what'shisname too.

fred

Old 05-07-03, 09:15 AM
Welcome I are Baboon!

Very well said.

Kay

Old 05-07-03, 10:28 AM
Welcome I Are Baboon, and thnx for the backup!!!!

Old 05-07-03, 03:44 PM
Specter
Visiting Guest
As I was reading thru this thread, there was a report on the CBS Evening News that they may have found a mobil bio lab. That would make it hard to find, don't you think? From what I understand, there have been defecting Iraq scientists that said they helped make WMD's. Also, it wasn't carbon monoxide that killed all of the Kurd's that were gased in the open air.

Welcom, Baboon...

Old 05-07-03, 07:36 PM
Saddam had years to hide these things. It make take a long time to find them. Iraq is a big place with lots of room to hide things.

Old 05-16-03, 11:13 AM
i am in the majority in this post but i'd encourage others to speak up as well. i do not care if they find "wmd's". what about 10,000 kurds buried in a hole???? bombings in saudia arabia???? i do not need evidence of a nuke bomb to justify the war.

99% of the iraqi population is thankful for the leadership change - isn;t that a good thing?

Baboon - nicely put!

Old 05-17-03, 09:36 AM
MsChip
Visiting Guest
It's a pipe dream to believe we'll find WMD's because their own people probably already found them and sold them to some other group of extremists or terrorists. These are poor people who'll stop at nothing to put a loaf of bread on their table. They already looted themselves silly. What it boils down to is...."if" any of these countries wanted peace, law, order, democracy and humane treatment of all citizens then they would have figure all of that out on their own years ago. The problems in Iraq was not just Saddam. It was also the 1.5 MILLION party members who subjected their very own people to Saddam's ways and many of those people are still living and breathing in Iraq. HELLO! We supposibly liberated Afghanistan, but guess who's policing, robbing and murdering their own people...the same military and political control of warlords whom terrorized the Afghan people before we arrived with bombs and soilders, except now the US gov wants these warlords in place working under the new government. The warlords are suppose to be collecting taxes from the people to support the new government, which they are doing, but the warlords are keeping the money for themselves. And there are still human rights issues going on. The woman are frightened to death to remove their veils and burkas for fear of getting the crap beaten out of them, simply because many woman STILL are getting the crap beaten out of them. All we did in the Gulf War I & II was apply a temporary band-aid of hope.

Old 05-17-03, 05:14 PM
Specter
Visiting Guest
Getting rid of Saddam Insane so the people of Iraq could be "free" was only secondary to stopping the spread of terrorizim that he was funding. It's not over by a long shot. Fanatics will not stop just because we say "please", but if they are dead, & all of their followers are dead, everyone will be happy. We will be alive & they believe they will be in paradise. They are wrong but there is no reasoning with these people; that's why they are fanatics.
I have seen first hand the way some of these people have to live. I was in Bangladesh for several weeks & much of the population lives in conditions so bad that the worst slums I've seen in this country would seem like paradise. Yet almost all of these people were not angry at the outside world but at those who had been in power in years past. Remember, they were a British colony for several hundred years. They have a long memory & still don't like the British. They feel American are a little like kinfolk since we too were a British colony, we just didn't suffer as they did. Also, 99.8% of them are Muslim. Poor Muslims with no oil...

Old 05-17-03, 05:42 PM
WMD -- "IT JUST DOESN'T MATTER"

MsChip,

You're partially right.
But the Baath Party in Iraq had no respect for their own non-violent religion. It was - be a loyal member or possibly be carted away never to be seen again by your family members.

But you're wrong on Afghanistan. Remember 9-11. The only reason we went there was to rid the world of Al Queda. It just so happened that the Taliban Government was in rule and supporting the terrorists. We did NOT go over to liberate Afghanistan! Our mission was to rid the area of terrorists. They are not operating in Afghanistan or Iraq any longer. Additionally, our President (and most Americans agree) will not tolerate those countries which harbor terrorists. Syria is starting to see the handwriting on the wall. We barely tolerate those foolish countries who would not contribute to the cause.

Finding any more evidence of WMDs, just doesn't matter.
We've already found and learned enough. For eight years there was no action taken against previous attacks. Come to think of it, nothing was accomplished in the previous administration. Now we have exertive leadership.

fred

Old 05-19-03, 12:00 PM
MsChip
Visiting Guest
It doesn't matter what the majority believes. Powell sat there in front of the UN stating all these supposed known targets where US intelligance believed Saddam had WMD...but the embarrassing truth is that Washington is pulling weapons inspectors out of Iraq because they failed to find substantial evidence. Go figure. The main scope for the war in Iraq in all those "axis of evil" speeches were to remove Saddam power, find WMD's, and attack terrorism, yet only one of those three primary objectives have been achieved. Neither the UK or the US went to war to seek out Saddam's graves. The massive piles of bones found are after the fact and being used as a side show to steer attention away from failing to find WMD's. I almost have to wonder if our leaders went to war in Iraq because they couldn't think what else to do in fighting terrorism. Meanwhile, reports are coming in that al Qaeda are already reforming in Afghanistan and other locations worldwide, even though Bin Laden hasn't been found dead or alive and no one knows the where abouts of Saddam.

Side note...the International Institute for Strategic Studies recently stated that it's just as dangerous now as it was before 9/11, while citing the recent terrorist bombings as evident that there are still a large number of terrorist cells around the world and that the war in Iraq has likely motivated an increase in al-Qaida's recruiting power.

Old 05-19-03, 04:14 PM
Specter
Visiting Guest
What I have seen & read, I think they have obtained 2 of your 3 stated objectives. If they ever get positive DNA proof that Saddam is no longer living, then all 3 of your stated goals have been at least partially reached. Stopping terrorism once and for all will probably never happen. It has been with man since Cain & Able to some extent. I do want it so costly for the terrorist that they will not come to my country to murder, under the guise that they are guided & blessed by God. It may be a good idea for all of the al-Qaida terrorist to band togeather & be more active. It will make them more visable.
Do you think that President Bush went too far in Iraq & Afghanistan? Maybe he should have did the same thing President Clinton did. What did the Clinton administration do after the first bombing of the World Trade Center? Or the barracks in Lebanon. Or the USS Cole?

Old 05-19-03, 05:22 PM
Quote: "It doesn't matter what the majority believes."

Yeah, it does.

I'll personally call Sadam or whoever and have them drop a WMD on the doorstep of those who just HAVE have one so you guys can maybe find a little happiness. **(added note: didn't mean drop as in 'bomb' but bring you one.)**

So much good has come out of this that the thought of just because a WMD hasn't been seen by our eyes doesn't mean the war was a waste.

I don't understand why the WMD is the focus here. If I'm heading to the store to get milk, and end up saving 5 lives and never getting the milk, well, you better not b*tch at me 'cause I didn't fulfill my goal and pick up some milk. I'll get the milk later LOL.

Jeez, maybe we should draw a close to this thread? Any takers?

Kay

Last edited by kaybyrd; 05-19-03 at 08:03 PM.
Old 05-19-03, 06:01 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Interesting difference of opinions, as is always the case when discussing politics and religion... I would like to remain neutral in this discussion as I don't think Iraq OR America has always acted in the best interest of its citizenry when it comes to maintaining peace... I do have a question though... How do you suppose you would feel to live in Iraq or Afghanistan and have your cities blown to bits and your friends and family killed as a means of emptying your country of weapons that no one has ever proven were there and to add insult to injury, it is perpetrated by the only country IN THE HISTORY OF THE WORLD that has used NUCLEAR weapons on a MAJORITY CIVILIAN population?

I neither agree nor disagree with US policy in this matter... I am merely pointing out that there are ALWAYS two sides to every story and we don't have all the info we need to make decisions on such matters... What I do know is that I am tired of hearing about death and destruction on the news every day, and I believe that there must be a far better answer for the peace and security of the world than to have troops stationed on every national border on the planet...

Old 05-19-03, 06:23 PM
Maybe I'm just trying to find the good in this. War makes me sick. Thinking of those families over there, the destruction...all makes me sick. I wonder if that could happen here.

If I lived in a country under attack because of harboring terrorist, what would I do? I can't leave even though I disagree with having them here, I can't leave if I disagree with my government...I have no where else to go, no money to go there....

Maybe the focus is here simply because we're all still trying to find rhyme or reason to what is/has happening/happened. Being angry doesn't help. Trying to find resolution to problems is what's important. I don't have answers to how this could be done differently. I'm not a fortune teller. No one can actually predict the outcome of everything we do.

I know that I will be relieved when I can finally turn on the television to watch a show with my family and not see war every five minutes. I am appauled (sp?) at the commercials I've seen using the war to sell cars and other items (announcer appearing to be on the scene of the bombings and saying "yes, its crazy out here, BUT...if you want to see crazy come on down to so-and-so's car lot and see these prices..."

Kay

Old 05-19-03, 07:21 PM
Ragnar,

Don't go THAT DIRECTION.

Those two tiny nukes had the effect of saving thousands and thousands of U.S servicemen had there been an invasion.
The barbarians, at the time, deserved it.

I'm done on this thread.
bye

Old 05-20-03, 06:46 AM
Im with kaybyrd & fewalt, i said my piece, ive been done on this one!!!

Old 05-20-03, 10:27 AM
MsChip
Visiting Guest
The majority doesn't matter because too many are burying their heads in the sand while allowing the goverment to side step them away from actual war failures in the primary objective for going to war. Awe, heck...why should it matter to any yeehaw if we found WMD's or not? Not in a million years would a terrorist ever point one of these towards your backyard, right?

Old 05-20-03, 11:57 AM
Group Moderator
Hey, I've got an idea to satisfy all the nay-sayers: Lets' find Saddam, restore him and his party to power, and apologize that it was all a big mistake!

Side note: Anyone who has visited neither the USS Arizona memorial nor the city of Hiroshima should refrain from making ignorant comments about the "period" that we put at the end of the last world war. I have seen both.

Old 05-20-03, 04:05 PM
Specter
Visiting Guest
Our country is harboring terrorists just by the fact that this is a free country & you can pretty much come & go as you please. The terrorists used our own WMD, model 747, to attack OUR country. We must pose a serious threat to them in ways I don't understand. As for the A bomb, I'm thankful that the US was first to develope it instead of Germany or the USSR. Would we be looking at a different flag on our capitol building? Harry Truman was probably the greatest war hero of WW II for saving 10s of thousands of lives, both American & Japenese, including my fathers. I wouldn't want the responability of giving the order to drop that big bomb. Sad thing is, it took two of them. The warrior class of Japan were fanatics & through the emperor, started WW II so they could be self sufficient.

War should not be the answer. The world awaits the mind that can furnish an alternative. We did try waiting with the hope it would go away. I'm done..

Old 05-20-03, 08:31 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Hey Tow_guy,

What was ignorant about the nuke comment? Ignorant insinuates lack of knowledge about a subject... Did I misspeak when I said that the US is the only country in history to drop a nuke on a majority civilian population? What was ignorant about that? It is 100% true it is not?

I made no assertions about the wisdom of the decision to use the nukes, but I asked (and got no answer to) the question of how you would feel in Iraq or Afghanistan knowing that info? By the way, what does visiting the Arizona memorial or Hiroshima have to do with it? By visiting I would find out that roughly 2400 people were killed at Pearl Harbor in a "surprise" attack on a military installation as compared to approximately 100,000 civilians killed in an attack on two Japanese cities by 2 bombs... Am I misinformed on that? Aren't those the figures? Where is the ignorance? Again, I don't bring the correctness of that act into question, but I want to know if we can allow for ATLEAST a difference of opinion by other nations of the world? Is it CONCEIVABLE that we can look for other answers to the worlds problems than creating more destructive weapons?

And finally, while I respect the opinion of anyone that chooses not to input further on this thread, I am curious as to why you feel that way? Why can't we have a discussion about something this important without it degrading into a name-calling, insulting, argument... I think it could certainly be very beneficial to have meaningful discussions about these things so that we all might look for some real objective answers to the problems the world is facing...

Old 05-21-03, 05:05 AM
Group Moderator
If I misrepresented your position, I apologize for attempting to read between the lines. Most people who make that observation are in fact insinuating not only that we were wrong in that instance, but also that it bars us from any matters pertaining to nukes/wmd's now, 60 years after the fact. It's frequently used in the same frame of reference as people who state that Al Gore got more votes than George Bush. While this is certainly a true and accurate statement, the inference is that that fact somehow makes George Bush less the President [and I'm not going down THAT road - Bill Clinton got less votes than either of them and less than 50% of the vote both times; he was still elected President]. I, for one, will never apologize or think badly of the nuke decision to end WWII; my father was serving in the Pacific at the time.

People sometimes forget that we have had nukes in our arsenal for 60 years and have not used them. There's a reason for that.

My $.02 worth and now I'M done.........

Old 05-22-03, 03:43 AM
MsChip
Visiting Guest
Speaking of nukes....here's an interesting article in the Washington Times regarding nonproliferation programs of WMD and what the G-8 countries are doing/spending....

"Destroying WMD"

http://washingtontimes.com/op-ed/20030521-094802-8455r.htm

Old 05-22-03, 04:16 AM
MsChip
Visiting Guest
Incidentally, regarding nuking Japan...the citizens of Hiroshima and Nagasaki who survived the A-bombs were called "hibakusha" (explosion affected persons)....they suffered physically, financially and emotionally, including being discriminated against by some potential employers in their own country. The Japanese government refused to assist the hibakusha on the basis that since the US created this huge mess then it was the US's responsibility to provide aid and assistance for the Japanese citizens. I believe it wasn't until the late 1950's that the Japanese government began paying medical costs. Even to this day, more than 50 years later, many Japanese who survived the A-bombs are still suffering medically from the affects of radiation.

Old 05-22-03, 05:39 AM
harleyboy
Visiting Guest
Isn't it enough that our service men and women, past and present, are on the wall defending our very right to express our thoughts without fear of punishment and repremand? Isn't it enough that every single day somone's son, daughter, mother or father lays their life on the line so that we may disagree agreeably? The freedoms we often take for granted, many in the world may never know. We are at war against an idea, a principle, that threatens the very existance of our values and ideals, any of which we should all be willing to defend. War is ugly, the scars deep, and the price high regardless of the reason. What value to you place on freedom and at what cost are you willing to live under oppression?
"There is no greater love than a man should lay down his life for another."

Old 05-23-03, 10:54 AM
Group Moderator
Amen, harleyboy, and I think this post can be closed; you've said it all.

the_tow_guy
Master Gunnery Sergeant
U.S.M.C. - Retired

Old 05-23-03, 11:09 AM
Out of 11 members posting, I only have a count of 4 that have voiced a desire to close the thread. Until majority rules, I'll leave it open, unless things get out of hand. DO NOT get unruly to get it closed, that will only get it closed and you banned.

Post at your own discretion...

Kay

Old 05-24-03, 02:40 AM
MsChip
Visiting Guest
One can only hope that the powers that be over this forum won't revert back to the days of book burnings while over zealously attempting to stifle the free exchange of opinions and ideas.

Old 05-24-03, 05:41 AM
Group Moderator
Geez. lighten up! I wasn't actually suggesting the thread be killed; I was using the expression to emphasize my support of harleyboy's comment. In the future I'll provide footnotes!

Old 05-24-03, 05:48 AM
I don't feel I will have to close the thread since some have already said they're through talking about this.

I am hoping that at this point or some time in the near future that we can all just simply agree to disagree or agree, and let it go at that.

Kay

Ps. I would not 'kill' the thread, but simply close it to any further discussion. The thread would remain for others to read since it does contain a lot of information that some may be interested in.

K.

Old 05-24-03, 06:00 AM
Group Moderator
Kill (1)

Footnotes:

(1) Close

Old 05-24-03, 12:49 PM
I hate to see it closed. I have not taken part in the thread, but have enjoyed reading it. If you don't want to be a part of the conversation/argument DONT CLICK ON IT But, don't deny the people that enjoy taking about it the opportunity to do so.

Old 05-24-03, 12:53 PM
Point well made, and well taken.

Kay

Old 05-25-03, 02:24 AM
harleyboy
Visiting Guest
Semper Fi Tow Guy.......Semper Fi

Happy Memorial Day!

Closed Thread