pale rider gun

Old 04-17-03, 11:08 PM
Question pale rider gun

What kind of gun did Clint eastwood use in the movie pale rider.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-25-03, 08:25 AM
Wow in my life I've probly seen that movie 50 times. His gun from Pale rider appears to be a cap and ball revolver but the brand I have no clue.

My wife just loves when they have a Clint Eatwood marathon on TV cause I don't do anything else. Same with 007 marathons.

Old 04-30-03, 09:37 PM
jeepers
Visiting Guest
Clint Eastwood

I quit watching him after he made that statement about gun control and hating viloence.

I do not like violence either, but I do own my share of guns.

I think Clint Eastwood is a hypocrit.

Old 05-01-03, 08:54 PM
Thumbs up Clint with a 44 with no kick LOL.

Maybe a HollyWood Hippoclint in his case.

We had a Dixie Chicks Concert just down the road. Ya'll like the Dixie Chicks?

I never heard of them before our Baptist Churches started smashing their CDs. Oh I heard they stopped playing their songs on the Radio. I don't know I never heard their songs, on any stations I listen to.

Can we import them to North Korea? Is that legal?

So what kind of gun did Clint use in the Movie?

Old 05-02-03, 05:39 AM
Found nothing when I searched

I thought I might find some site that would say, but got no hits. There were a number of references to "Nitpickers.com" and "MovieGoofs.com", where movie viewers talk about sequencing errrors and flaws in movie continuity. This kinda makes me think that the type of gun used was up to the movie's prop master, and whether he was a history buff or not would make all the difference to accurate portrayal of the gun.

What's up with the Dixie Chicks, anyway? I'm so far out of mainstream music it's embarassing. Something about posing nude?

Old 05-02-03, 10:12 AM
Smile Time to tell.

Hi CycleZen

How are you?

Does anyone remember him ( Clint ) changing out a Cyl, as he walked past the guy in the coffin, outside the Bar?

He took out a lot of guys out real quick, for a double BBl Greener.

If he changed out a cyl to reload, you know that makes the Revolver, a cap N ball Revolver

I did see some COLT SAA in use for the big bar fight.

Tell us, O wade1 tell us. What kind of gun did Clint eastwood use in the movie pale rider??

Old 05-02-03, 12:53 PM
Hey, Marturo

Doing good, thanks!

Tell us, O wade1 tell us. What kind of gun did Clint eastwood use in the movie pale rider?? [/B]
You mean this was a quiz?!?!

Old 05-25-03, 11:16 AM
We don't know yet???

I saw the post and got curious myself. I enter the thread and with each reply await the results and find out we don't find out. Makes me want to find the movie somewhere and look myself. I do remember him changing cylinders in a movie but not sure which movie it was.
Dennis
~the scrollmaster~

Old 05-25-03, 12:16 PM
Smile It wasen't a Smith Mod 29 LOL.

Nice site Dennis.

I to want to know & I don't see wade1 comming back to tell us.
Does Dirty Harry have a web site? He must, I just don't visit many Movie Star sites

Anyone have the flick? Watch it & let us know, or better yet find out online & post a link here?

Last one with a link, is a rotten egg LOL

Old 05-26-03, 07:07 PM
MTgets
Visiting Guest
The power of the WEB!!

I just typed in "pale rider gun" in the search engine, and there are quit a few websites that are about historical accuracy in movie when it comes to the guns the actors used.
Clints movies always get top honors because he is careful to hire history gun buffs, and his guns are usually right on. Also he gets praise for using some not so glamourized guns, but guns that were really used in the ol west..
Anyway all they say is that the gun at the end was definatly a cap n powder...or ball and powder (I already forgot never heard of them) and it was a REMINGTON.

He gets high praises for the extra cylinders pre loaded in his belt, cause I guess those kind of guns take....a.....long.....time.....to.....load......................bang!
Marturo? please fill us in on this kind of firearm..
Havent been here for a while hope you are ok!
Been busy with my newly aqcuired '73 Simplicity 3416H I got for free, fixing it up nice for yard work, those old BS cast iron single cyl. are work horses.(16 hp)

Old 06-01-03, 01:16 PM
carpx
Visiting Guest
Pale rider gun

The revolver used by the preacher was a Remington model 1858 in .44. It was a cap and ball black powder firearm. The Remington was known for the solid top frame, unlike that on Colts of that era. The model differed from the 1861 in that the loading lever had to be lowered to remove the cylinder and replace it with a fresh one. The Remington was considered one of the best and strongest guns of its day.

Old 06-01-03, 02:35 PM
The year Remington quit making Handguns.

So as he walked past the coffin, he reloaded his Remington Revolver. Before he walked into the Bar.

The answer to when Remington quit making Handguns & why, is.

1928 & the reason The cost of litagation, fighting Handgun banners & their groups.

Kinda put's a haze on the Good ol Days yep me too!

Thanks carpx

Old 06-01-03, 08:24 PM
MTgets
Visiting Guest
right idea, wrong movie

Marturo,
You have the two greatest Clint movies mixed up my friend!!

The movie where he walks past his dead friend Ned, in front of the bar was "Unforgiven", yes he had a great killin' with the ol' double bbl Greener, and some colts when he took out Little Bill.

The movie in question Pale Rider, was where he took on the mean Marshall and his deputys in the streets......no coffin or bar scene.

Just wanted to point that out, thanks for the info though, and thanx Carpx for the info and welcome!!

Old 06-01-03, 10:15 PM
I said before: He took out a lot of guys out real quick, for a double BBl Greener. That was from an eariler post, your right I had them Bass Ackawords LOL

Well now that we have the answer to this puzzle, we will have to find others.

Old 06-02-03, 08:00 PM
1858 Remington

Yo carpx, don't guess we've ever met but from your location bet we've plowed some of the same neighboors ground.

I can get over my head fairly quick in these percussion revolvers but I think the Rem 1858 was also one of the guns that when conversted to cartridge, could also still use the percussion cylinders. Like Colt, Remington was never known to make abrupt, clean changes... rather migrating over time from change to change. I know there were some model changes to the 1858 that finally resulted in the Model 1861 but not exactly sure what they were.

Thanks again for the info. This thread makes me want to see the movie again but so far I haven't found it although I know I have it somewhere.
Dennis
~the scrollmaster~

Old 09-02-03, 11:46 PM
Carpx is correct ! And he wins whats behind curtain number 1 or he can take home a years supply of spam.
Sorry about being gone so long but duty calls.

Old 09-03-03, 04:41 PM
Covenant
Visiting Guest
Movie trivia

While were on the subject of movie trivia, guns and our heros, how about the passing of Charles Bronson. He made a lot of B movies like Eastwood but always held my intrest. I wonder which one has the most notches on his gun.
I always liked the Bronson movie (last deathwish, I thinK) were he has some big high caliber handgun, memory says a 455 webley or something like that. In the end he takes the bad guy out with a shoulder fired missle or grenade. My kind of guy, no foolin around, just taken care of business.
Any other Bronson fans around?
Terry

Old 09-03-03, 07:13 PM
Our Cowboy Heros

The western represented a Man & Horse his tools of the trade & true American independance. Did you see how Freddie Kruger & Jason beat out Kevin Costners Open Range?

A sign of the times? So many today just want to be safe & be told what to do. I was born to late

Old 09-03-03, 07:59 PM
Covenant
Visiting Guest
Freedom and Independence

Yes, many times I have wished for the freedom and independence of early America and a simpler life. Then reality hits as I watch a D9 dozer making roads thru the rugged Texas Hill Country and I think how much labor was involved to move a family West in the Early days. Reality hits again when I walk thru the cemetary and see the women that died at child birth and the hundreds of children that died of fevers and disease. And once again reality hit as I lay in the hospital after having steel pins put in my femor and hip and a fixator on my wrist that was broken in fifeteen pieces.(If not for modern medicine, I would be crippled and dependent on my family for everything)
We really live a long and easy life even if its full of sick degenerates, murderers, rapist, bums and social leeches. It seems there could be a happy medium. I guess thats why we have movies and books to take us away from reality if only for a short time. People like Eastwood and Bronson let us take out our frustrations on the bad guys in an imaginary way.
The sad thing is we are slowly loosing the great actors and few are replacing them (Cosner,Gibson ect). Mostly we get the Freddie Kruger types.
Goodnight to all and God Bless America
Terry

Old 09-04-03, 06:04 AM
Re: Our Cowboy Heros

Originally posted by marturo
The western represented a Man & Horse his tools of the trade & true American independance. Did you see how Freddie Kruger & Jason beat out Kevin Costners Open Range?

A sign of the times? So many today just want to be safe & be told what to do. I was born to late
I think more a sign of how many more teenagers than adults go the the movies. Don't forget this is the same group of kids that think professional wrestling is great.

Old 07-07-06, 12:01 PM
I always thought the handgun Bronson used in the last Deathwish was an AMT .44 automag.

Old 09-03-06, 11:32 AM
scrollmaster wrote:

"I do remember him changing cylinders in a movie but not sure which movie it was. "

That was in the next to the last scene of Pale Rider just before he drilled six shots at about three yds into the head bad guy. I'm not a movie buff it's just that the flick was on last night and I saw the last 10 min of it as I was looking for something good to watch.

Old 09-10-06, 11:14 AM
Exclamation

Remington 1858 you could have it in .36 or .44 Ball & Black Powder, a few years later Remington came out with the Cartridge conversion cylinders. The .38 Special for the .36 caliber model and the .44 Special for the .44 caliber model.

The .38 Special bullet is really .355 inch diameter, so it works out great in the .36 caliber barrel.

Later Remington came out with the 1875. They are different in that the 1858 model lever folds down, and the 1875 model the lever folds to the side.

Wolf_Spyder

Old 09-19-06, 07:56 PM
I believe that Preacher used an 1858 cartrideg conversion in the movie.
He used the reload trick in at least a couple of movies

1858 Remington cartridge conversion were .45 not .44. The bullet diameter of the old 44 was actuall around .454.
The .44 special was developed in 1907

The 1858 was in .44 the 1861 Navy was .36

Bronson used a .475 Wildey Magnum in DW III

Clint used an Automag in Sudden Impact

Old 09-19-06, 08:37 PM
Just scanned through the movie
Definitely an 1858 cartridge conversion.
The cartridges are clearly shown in the gun belt when he gets it from the safe deposit box
And also when he puts the empty cylinder in it's belt pouch.

He also seems to have the smaller 1863 Remington Navy that he shoots Stockburn in the head with

Stockburn's deputies are carrying Colt cartridge conversions and 1872 OpenTops

Search this Thread