Philosophically speaking...

Old 04-18-03, 06:18 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Philosophically speaking...

Okay, this is a very basic question but I hope to open a big ole fashioned can of worms with it...

You are riding down the expressway where the speed limit is 70 mph, and you are doing 70 mph and are riding in the far left lane as, theoretically, you should be one of the fastest cars on the road, and someone now comes up behind you doing something more than 70 mph and gets right on your tail and starts to blink his lights at you... Should you move over and let them by? Or should you stay in front of them, as you are well within your rights to do 70 mph in the left lane, and the tailgater will just have to slow down or go around?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-18-03, 06:35 PM
Legally, you are in the okay staying right where you are if someone is beside you in the right lane. These idiots out there on the roads think that just because they are speeding means that the signs reading: slower traffic right lane, means anyone going slower than they are and that you should speed up when you pass someone. Whatever happened to drivers ed that taught courtesy? Most kids don't even take it now since its more expensive than you save on insurance having taken it.

I usually go ahead and change to the right lane as soon as I can to avoid them hitting me or trying to intimidate me. I won't, however, go over the speed limit to get into the right hand lane if I am passing someone. They will just have to wait. I've had idiots even try to squeeze between me and the car on the right when there is barely enough room. I haven't even caught the car I passed in the side view mirror before the idiot behind me has somehow managed to end up beside me.

I prefer to ride in the right hand lane, even though it is rougher, simply to keep people like that as far away from me as possible. If they're going to lose control of their car, please do it up the road and away from me!

Kay

Old 04-18-03, 06:46 PM
Personally, I move over unless there is slower traffic in the right lane in which case, they just have to wait. I don't immediately move over even when there is no traffic on the right since they might pass on the right (which irritates me). But I can't stand it when someone flashes their lights behind me when I am doing everything right. If it has been a particularly bad traffic day, I sometimes slow down, curse a little, and reason to myself that they can have patience forced upon them by me for the moment.
I have done just that and it turned out to be a Sherriff who was speeding and then accused me of not yielding properly. I told him I thought he was a victim of road rage because of how fast he came up on me, how he rode my bumper and how he flashed the lights at me! Then I explained that I slowed down to the speed limit and intended to pull into the police station (100ft. away from where he pulled me over) so that he could either pass me, or follow me to a place where I felt I would be safe stopping since I did not know he was an officer. Luckily, he got a call and let me go on a verbal. That one could have turned out worse!

Old 04-18-03, 06:59 PM
magister
Visiting Guest
Personally, if they come up behind me and are obnoxious enough to think they are somehow more important than me, by flashing their lights and such, which really doesn't have any meaning; I am even more adamant about not changing lanes and if they keep it up, I actually slow down and sometimes, I'll even fence them in with the assistance of a much slower vehicle. But of course, I can be obnoxious, myself.

My wife on the otherhand, actually got a ticket one night on the Mass Pike for doing the speed limit in the lefthand lane, but their laws define the left as only a passing lane and you aren't supposed to be using it for travel.

But, as far as I'm concerned, they can flash their lights until they blow a bulb; If I'm in the left lane, I'm there for a reason and they might as well slow down because I will not relent until I'm good and ready...

Peace Out;
R

Old 04-22-03, 09:35 PM
MsChip
Visiting Guest
Do I detect a bit of Road Rage?? *LOL*

Illinois is also yet another state who adobted the same law a few years ago where it's illegal to remain in the left lane. In many states, nationwide, the left lane is the designate passing lane, no matter which speed you're driving.

Old 04-23-03, 03:38 AM
magister
Visiting Guest
Actually, if one was so inclined, I don't think the "passing lane" laws which exist primarily in the northern-tier states would hold-up to court scrutiny. They'd probably be upheld by the lower courts, but once you get high enough, the argument that you are passing the slower traffic in the right lane can't be ignored because after all, the law can't recognize a person's right to exceed the speed limit nor could it offer speeding any legal protection. So, if you are doing the speed limit in the left lane, you are by law, the fastest car on the road and unless you were all alone on the highway, way out in the middle of nowhere, you are passing the slower traffic. Unfortunately, my wife got the ticket before she met me and she just paid it by mail, so I never got to test my theory.

Peace, Love & Happiness;
R

Old 04-23-03, 01:33 PM
regardless of speed if noone is around the right lane is the place to drive. if you are going 70 in a 70 and in the left lane i do not think that is right.

i hate those flashing people, yes i move over for them but i hate that..... some people are just rude so i let it go.

BUT - maybe they are on their way to a hospital or something.

in general the posted speed limit should have nothing to do with wha tlane you drive in - stay to the right and pass on the left.

around here (NE) the speed limit inthe minimum speed... 10-15 over is the left lane speed - for those of you who drive under the speed limit in the left lane you are inconsiderate (you know who you are)

i am not trying to be an a$$ - but just be considerate and if people are driving too fast let them go and get their ticket!

Old 04-23-03, 03:46 PM
magister
Visiting Guest
Ole fashioned can o'worms?

If I'm going to be exiting left in a couple of miles, there's no reason for me to have to cross six lanes of traffic at that time; If I'm approaching an older exit which oftentimes backs folks up the ramp and causes the others that are trying to exit to slow down considerably before they leave the highway, I go to the left to more easily pass through the scene; If I'm driving in a congested area with numerous entrance ramps, all with too short of a merge lane, it would be common courtesy for the through traffic to stay left; If I can see a slower vehicle ahead, I stay in the left so that I won't be forced to slow down when I get close; If the more heavily-traveled right-hand lane is pocked full of holes and the ride is much smoother in the other lane, I opt to protect my car and not the speed demon behind me; Perhaps, I only recently merged into the flow from the HOV lane...

And this is only what comes to mind at this moment.

You don't have a right to speed and in actuality, I have the right to expect you to obey the law of the land and if you weren't supposed to drive in any lane except the right, why on earth did they build such huge highways?

Peace, Love & Happiness;
R

Old 04-23-03, 04:29 PM
If there are 3 lanes then I try to ride the middle lane since I'm not exiting, and not playing speed demon either.

Guess it depends a lot upon the situation. I, too, use to let people ride my tail, flashing lights etc just to tee them off. Today it isn't worth raising my blood pressure over so I just move out of the way asap and let them go on to torment others.

Kay

Old 04-23-03, 04:59 PM
Having worked for a state DOT in Highway Design, I can tell you that the left lane is a thru lane for such congested areas as Magister points out, and the left lane (on a conventional two lane divided highway) is also meant for passenger traffic with the right lane for entrance and exit, slower traffic, and commercial vehicles (yes, 18 - wheelers). The typical two lane highway is designed for anticipated 20 year life and 18 wheel traffic with the additional (left) lane for passenger vehicles and passing/thru traffic from the design standpoint of the DOT. Law enforcement, however, views lane usage quite differently and there are differences from state to state. Truck restriction lanes are popping up all over the place (like this is something new, ha!) in order to protect the traveling public, when actually the signs are new, and meant to inform people that the slow stuff will be in lane #2, #3, etc. and still serve to protect the traveling public.

That said, these are my ramblings. Can you drive the speed limit in the left lane? Yes, only if your local law enforcement approves. Should you move over when some jerk (probably in a Sport Ute...they own the road you know) flashes his lights? Yes, unless you feel like being harassed by said jerk (and/or teenager...remember, they Have a life). Like Kay says, just move over and hope that the accident which could happen, doesn't involve you! Who knows, maybe that trooper who is always at exit #24 will be waiting at exit #34 to single them out for the next paperwork assignment!!

Sandie

Old 04-23-03, 05:02 PM
magister
Visiting Guest
Although, I am definitely left-of-center, I'm more of a middle-of-the-road kind of guy because it gives me the freedom to go any direction...

That said, onourown; Sometimes when I'm doing the Maine to Miami or a cross-country drive, irritating the fellow behind me may be my only form of entertainment; If you've ever listened to the radio, Maine to Miami, you'd know what I mean...

BTW: Ragnar, where do you stand on the issue? After all, you stirred the pot...

Peace Out;
R

Old 04-23-03, 08:42 PM
MsChip
Visiting Guest
I SEE DUMB PEOPLE ...what a great bumper sticker!

SUV drivers don't drive as if they own the road. *LOL* SUV's are bigger/larger so it appears as if there's a whole lot of them coming at you, especially if you drive a short or small vehicle.

Old 04-23-03, 09:05 PM
Well, interestingly, I was just sitting back and watching what was going on, because the discussion really had nothing to do with traffic for me... That is why I labeled it "philosophically speaking"... Years ago, when I was a true rookie driver, I NEVER moved out of the way for someone to speed past me... and if someone bright-lighted me, not only did I not let them by me in the left lane, I made it my mission to keep them from passing me PERIOD, unless they went out and rented a chopper and went OVER me... I gradually changed my view on that because I realized that there are several laws involved in this issue and even more principles... For instance, it is against the law to impede traffic... That law doesn't stipulate a speed... You just aren't allowed to impede the flow... So it is just as against the law to hold a guy up on the left even if he is speeding as his speeding is to begin with... Also, as was pointed out, the person in my mirror may be headed to the hospital or home to check on his kids that aren't answering the phone... But when it comes right down to it, IT DOESN'T MATTER WHAT THAT PERSONS REASONS ARE... It doesn't have to affect my blood pressure or peace... It is not my place to go out and correct the whole world or steer them toward my way of doing things... I have no say as to how the person behind me is driving... I should move on and hope for that person's safe arrival at his destination... But what really brought all this up is all this war stuff that has been in the news and lots of other issues that are in the news as well, I suppose... The whole world, this country in particular is SO tied up in personal RIGHTS that it makes me ill... I have a right to keep pets, so who cares if all my neighbors hate me... I have a right to speed or drive drunk so who cares if someone gets killed because of it... I have a right to sleep around on my wife so who cares that it destroys the peace in my house and hurts everyone involved... I have a right to cuss people out in traffic or at the local Mickie D's so who cares if I hurt people's feeling or make others feel intimidated... The fact is, that I have the right to do anything I want if I am willing to accept the consequences, but that doesn't mean it is beneficial to do so... Maybe sometimes the best thing to do is give up a little personal freedom for the sake of keeping peace with my acquaintances, friends, and family... Maybe sometimes the best thing to do is to let ourselves be wronged when it is not so important, for the sake of getting along in the world as good people who remember that we all had our beginnings in the same place and that we will all stand up and answer for the way we treat each other one day...

Old 04-24-03, 12:14 AM
Not sure how this ties in, but reading that post made me remember it.

A man got on a bus after a long day at work. It was late, he was tired and couldn't wait to get home. On the bus was a woman and four children. The woman was just sitting and staring, not at anything, just staring. The kids were running around on the bus making all kinds of racket and bumping into people. After awhile the man couldn't hold his tongue anymore. He asked the woman if she could please make her children sit still and quit bothering everyone. She responded, "I'm sorry, we just left the hospital. My husband passed away today. I guess the children are coping with it better than I am...".

Jeez. As my instructor would say, everyone is fighting their own battles. Whether it be financial, physical, emotional or spiritual. We don't always cope in the best ways, but we are all human and deserve a little bit of kindness and understanding. Yes, there are people who are just plain ol' mean. They're in a constant battle (spiritual and emotional) to see if they can make people either feel inferior, intimidated or as bad as they do. Then there are others who are fighting honest battles and aren't coping in the best ways. I remember driving 90 mph from one town to the next (20 miles), 2 lane, praying for people to get out of the way. My daughter had just fallen off the bleachers, and had cut the back of her head open. It would take too long to get to a phone and call the paramedics, and another 15 minutes for them to get there (this is before cellphones were common). I drove her myself. Yes, I drove too fast, and yes I was driving a stick with one hand on the back of her head trying to stop the bleeding, trying to keep her brother quiet and calm in the backseat, and also trying to keep her from going to sleep. She had 8 stitches in her head and a concusion.

I've also done the flying deal when I got a phone call that my son had put his hand through the backdoor and about cut his finger off. I went into momma mode and flew home to meet the paramedics. Maybe no one is answering the phone, or maybe ... maybe we just shouldn't take everything so personally. These people don't know us from Adam, so why let them ruffle your feathers when they may not even be aware of what they're doing at the moment.

My kids get upset with me since I move over to let people pass. I try to explain to them that the person may need to be somewhere quickly. Maybe a loved one is in the hospital and dying. Maybe they don't want to be late picking up their child from the airport (yes, these things are important to parents).

I guess my point is the same as above. We need to be kind to others even when they aren't appearing to be kind to us. I like to think that maybe my kindness is what pulls them out of their funk, depression or gives them something to think about if they just generally need to change their attitude about their lives and others. You just never know what people have just experienced or are experiencing. No, it doesn't make what they are doing the right thing, but it is a human thing.

I can't change the world, but I can change me. I want to go to bed at night knowing that I'm a better person even if it means that I have to move over for someone who's just being mean or trying to be in control of something or someone in their lives.

Kay

Ps. This is a new me. There have been times I have chased people down in my truck just to intimidate them for pulling out in front of me, or slamming on my brakes when someone is riding my tail. I guess I just grew up one day and realized that I was the one being the idiot LOL!

K.

Old 04-24-03, 02:02 AM
magister
Visiting Guest
And, I thought this thread was about Fluff-n-Nutter

Jean-Jacques Rousseau

"...each man, in giving himself to all, gives himself to nobody; and as there is no associate over whom he does not acquire the same right as he yields others over himself, he gains an equivalent for everything he loses, and an increase of force for the preservation of what he has."

Old 04-24-03, 02:11 AM
Whats Fluff N Nutter?

Kay

Old 04-24-03, 06:09 PM
Sorry Magister... didn't mean to fool ya with the initial posting... I was actually thinking specifically of all the protesting I am seeing lately... I saw it all through the war, both for and against, and then I saw it all around Augusta National (where the Master's is held) with Martha Burke leading the pack fighting for women to get into Augusta... Of course, the KKK is there supporting Augusta for trying to keep out black members... Also, there were all sorts of small groups protesting the war, abortion, and other such issues since they have the public forum for it... It just finally got to me and I realized how self-centered and selfish we all can be... I am over it now and will go back to being a goof-ball...

Old 04-24-03, 06:32 PM
BigMike sent this to me in an email:

The FOX news offices in New York City were the frequent site of war protests during the last 6 months. The following is a sample of the electronic crawls (big LED sign on the front of their building) that the Fox News Network ran outside of their New York headquarters during these anti-war protests.

1. "Does anyone here have a job?"

2. "The cleverest sign wins a weeks free vacation in Baghdad"

3. "CNN agrees with you. They're two blocks west, and they have doughnuts!

4. "Who won your freedom to protest....Protesters, Actors or Soldiers?"

5. "War Protesters Audition Here Today… Thank You For Coming. Try to Look Scruffy"

6. "Attention Protestors: The Michael Moore Fan Club Meets ON Thursdays at the Phone Booth On 6th and 50th"

7. "Yell As Loud as You Want; We're still Not Hiring Phil Donahue"

Old 04-24-03, 06:49 PM
6. "Attention Protestors: The Michael Moore Fan Club Meets ON Thursdays at the Phone Booth On 6th and 50th"

7. "Yell As Loud as You Want; We're still Not Hiring Phil Donahue"

My hubby says #6 is the best! I like #7! But then he explained why #6 is the best so I think it's a tie with me now!!!!
LOL!

Sandie

Old 04-27-03, 02:11 AM
magister
Visiting Guest
To Johnny LaRue-- thanks to you, we got our crane shot

Ragnar; No problem, I just thought this thread was about a sandwich
made from marshmallow creme and peanut butter (For Kay)

Metaphorically Speaking;
R