Creatures...

Old 04-19-03, 08:53 AM
Question Creatures...

There are a few things that are going on in our lives here that have me off kilter. I guess I'm just a creature of habit.

My son and I have been doing taekwondo for awhile now. We got the schedule down pat, and it seemed second nature to go. Now the schedule has changed and I can't seem to get life in order to attend class. Adjusting my inner clock has not been easy. My instructor called me last night about why I haven't been to class. Jeez, I looked at the clock and we were suppose to have been there an hour before that.

Is this a memory problem? Distractions, lack of focus or just me relying to much on routines? Perhaps both?

Now we've added the gym to the schedule and I don't schedule that in for me. I go during the day when I'm bored. I haven't been this week for that either. Well, once to take my daughter and the kids swimming.

Any ideas to help this 'creature'? I feel like I'm lost at sea, and becoming more unorganized by the day.

Kay

Sponsored Links
Old 04-19-03, 06:09 PM
Set a time, fix a schedule, focus on it until it becomes second nature.

Old 04-19-03, 06:16 PM
I'm trying to learn how to use the calendars in linux so I can just leave it up. The KDE calendar has a schedule deal where I can hit "what's next" so maybe that will help.

I guess what I've done is exactly that, get on a schedule and follow it until it became second nature. Now that things have changed, I'm lost LOL. Just have to work on getting it back.

Kay

Old 04-20-03, 12:10 PM
Creature of habit

kaybyrd, do you have too many irons in the fire? I have a calendar hanging on the wall beside my computer where I write all my appointments. It's not a 100% guarantee that I still won't forget. For instance, I know Rotary is every Thursday from 12-1, but I have still forgotten it. It may be the afternoon slips away with phone calls, customers, and paper work, and I think, "Oh, no, I forgot Rotary."

Calendars and asking those around us to remind us, tend to help.

Old 04-21-03, 08:43 PM
I'm having trouble keeping up with what day it is lately. Isn't that odd. I may just have too much going on right now. I have set up some anniversary dates and birthdates on yahoo to get them as reminders. LOL, I forgot my hubby and I's anniversary! Fortunately, it showed up in my email and I could call him. He knew when our anniversary was, but didn't realize that date was that day. We are so weird at times.

I am feeling better about life in general at the moment, and think that maybe part of my problem is that I had another birthday roll around. Now it is over and I don't feel any worse for wear I'm thinking I have awhile before I have to face my age again.

Kay

Old 04-21-03, 08:56 PM
Birthdays

Our culture has made such a big deal out of birthdays. Whoop-dee-doo! Who cares! Do you actually feel a day older after a birthday? What usually happens is that we overachievers like you and me, kaybyrd, are not where we expected to be at this age. So we still need to be several years younger and back on the course to get done what we want done and to accomplish what we need to. Disadvantage: Guilt and possible baggage. Advantage: We are younger than our years because we still have so much to do. Perseverance, my dear. Get over it. So, you had a b-day. And, too, we look younger than our years, so that's a help, too. But, yes, we are slowing down and our bodies are talking back. But, without our goals, we could have died 20 or more years ago. Let's take one day at a time and put one big boot in front of the other and march forth. We are survivors. We do what we have to do each day. We (listen to me) need to learn how to look out for ourselves more and less for those needy people around us who rob us of our resources.

Happy Birthday, kaybyrd!

Old 04-21-03, 10:13 PM
It is funny now. People ask me how it feels to be 41. Well, lets see...about the same as it did when I was 40 and 364 days old.

You're right. I do look back at what I dreamed of and where I am today. I actually have achieved the one thing I wanted most as a child. That was to be a wife and a mother. Jeez, I've done the wife thing 3 times now (still on #3, he's a keeper) and the mom thing 4 times (pleading temporary insanity on that one!).

I got a note from my daughter tonight. She is upset about everything. We write to each other when we can't seem to talk to each other without hurting the other or getting upset. It made me do a whole lot of thinking. Some of the things she is wanting to change are very irrational, but rational to a 12yo. I want my kids to have so much. Not things, just a happy and healthy life. All of my children are upset because I've stopped buying tvs, vcrs, playstation games and the like and have started repairing their bikes and buying roller blades, skooters and skateboards. We have a trampoline instead of the brain-drain gadgets. I want them to climb trees, bust lips and experience life as kids. I want us to eat healthier for all our sakes. Not to lose or gain weight, but to live our lives more fully. Some things I do have to purchase memberships for today. Growing up we had a local public swimming pool. Due to conditions and the poor health of others, those have been closed down. I purchased the gym membership in hopes that I could get into shape. I offered the same to the rest of the family. Whoever wants to work with weights, go for it. Want to run the track, go for it. If you just want to go swim, go for that. She said that the gym has changed our lives. I haven't been to the gym lately except to take them swimming. They begged to go, even got new swimsuits to wear. I'm thinking the reason it has ruined her life is that we are now eating differently. Not so differently that it should be a problem. I grill chicken now instead of frying it or getting takeout. We steam veges the same way I always have, and I still don't let them drink cokes all the time. We don't eat out all the time either. This isn't just for health reasons, but financials ones as well. My car broke down tonight and if this had happened 2 months ago I wouldn't have had the money to fix it until this Friday (payday). I have the money in hand today.

I'm honestly thinking that she's upset because the 15yo is getting a lot of attention and focus right now. This is not the norm for the 15yo. She's the happy go lucky trouble making mouth in the house. Now, we're trying to help her achieve something that she wants so much. To lose a few pounds and to feel better. We also cheat often. Ice cream, pizza, the occassional cokes, etc. Not that much has changed. I just use fresh foods instead of processed foods (as much as possible or available). I have one jug of tea made with sugar, and another with Equal. They all have choices. The 15yo uses butter substitutes, eats wheat breads, and the low or no-cal drinks/sweetener. There are still choices in the house. I'm not going to fix a cake and eat it in front of the 15yo, but when she's at her dad's I'll fix the younger two some cake to eat.

She called my 'change' in life a hobby. I don't know how to help her understand that this isn't a hobby. This is my life. If I am falling apart and getting so worn out at 41, what am I going to be like at 50, 60 or 70. If I am going to live a long life, I would like it to be one that I can endure physically and mentally.

Enough for now. Am tired just thinking about all this.

Kay

Old 04-22-03, 12:55 PM
magister
Visiting Guest
I really can't offer an help on the scheduling question because I'm one of those folks who'll rebel against a schedule as a matter of principle. But, I can offer some words borrowed from arguably one of the great poets of our generation (Stipe) which makes me feel better, whenever I get into one of my moods;

---
Stand in the place where you live;
Now, face North;
Think about direction;
Wonder why you haven't before.

Stand in the place where you work;
Now, face West;
Think about the place where you live;
Wonder why you haven't before.

If wishes were trees, the trees would be falling;
Listen to reason;
Reason is calling.

Your feet are going to be on the ground;
Your head is there to move you around;
So stand!

---

Keep Passing Open Windows;
R

Old 04-22-03, 09:01 PM
MsChip
Visiting Guest
Humans don't normally like change. We schedule the time in our days in order to proceed through life in an organized fashion so when change occurs it sometimes takes more effort to adapt to the change...sometimes much longer than we anticipated it may. Then when we have the new schedule embedded in our personal clocks where everything's set in stone, the schedule changes again...then we're back to square one. *LOL*

Search this Thread