Why do I listen to him anyway!?

Old 04-21-03, 05:53 PM
Talking Why do I listen to him anyway!?

I'm trying so hard to listen to my husband. I'm regretting it LOL!

When we bought the truck I pulled stuff of the check its status (brakes, etc.) Now that we have this car my husband said that he doesn't want me to work on it so I don't get greasy etc., and to have it worked on at a shop. Okay, shops are expensive. Anyway, I've not pulled anything off to check. Even have the oil changed at a shop.

The brakes started squealing a couple of days ago so I haven't been driving it any more than necessary. I was planning to take it to the shop Friday to have the brakes worked on. Hello, I should have pulled the tires off and checked everything months ago. One caliper bolt has backed out to the point where the other one is bent and the pad is bent too. Okay, how did I discover this? I was backing out of the driveway and barely touched the brakes. The back wheel locks totally up and I can't move. ????? Okay, so I call Dallis, a friend that works at the shop, and he swings by on his way home from work. The back brake on the driver's side has over adjusted itself to the point its stuck. We fix that, and test it. Then the front locks up as we're backing up. That's when we pulled the tire off and discovered that wonderful deal.

I am not a happy camper at the moment. My gut tells me to listen to my own head (dad use to ask me if I was from Missouri since I have to see things to believe them - ie: status of parts, etc) and listen to the wishes of my husband.

Oh well, just venting a little confusion here.

Kay

Sponsored Links
Old 04-21-03, 05:59 PM
Why do you listen?

Because you are such a good little girl, kaybyrd. You want everyone around you to be happy. Every time you get in a pickle, it's always one where you are trying to do something to make someone else happy.

Did you wear patent leather shoes and cute little dresses when you were a little girl?

Old 04-21-03, 06:21 PM
Yep. Before I was old enough to say or do anything about it. She finally stopped making me wear stuff like that when my father finally stepped in with the help of my mom's mother.

Her response when I said that they were uncomfortable or I threw a fit (literally) was "sometimes you have to give up comfort for style".

Tomorrow: Lee (18yo) is dropping the pinion bearing in the truck so we can drive it to the auto parts store. WE are replacing the brake shoes and pads, plus having the rotors and drums turned. I am also replacing all 4 caliper bolts (front) and wheel cylinders in the rear. I'm not playing Ms. Queen of the house that doesn't 'have' to work on her car. Jeez, we could have been killed if the caliper decided to shift while braking on the expressway at a high rate of speed or seriously injured driving through town. The lock ups only occur backwards, but since the caliper was lose it could have twisted and jammed and I would have lost control of the car. Not a neat thought!

Kay

Old 04-21-03, 06:30 PM
Oh, and when I quit wearing those shoes, it was oxfords. I hated those things, but mom said that is what everyone wore to school. She lied. Every year, she lied, and I believed her LOL.

Kay

Ps. She also said:
girls don't drive trucks
girls don't chew gum
girls don't call boys
girls don't wear boots....

Talk about growing up not knowing what I was LOL. Knew I wasn't a boy, but apparently wasn't a girl either. I chewed gum, the first vehicle I learned to drive was my dad's old '3 on the column' truck ("Kay, if you can drive a stick you can drive anything," said the dad), I call boys in for their dinner (lol), and I have a pair of work boots on my feet as I type...plus I wear steel toe'd when I work on the truck/car.

K

Old 04-21-03, 06:54 PM
Glad Lee dropped the pinion (whatever that is) and you dropped the frills and patent leather shoes. Same here, I don't think clearly without my boots. I heard all the "girls don't" business, and I had three brothers. Oh, what I wouldn't have given to be a boy. I wanted to be in the Scouts. I wanted to lots of things girls couldn't do. At least we still look like girls, even if we wear our big boots. And, as you know, we clean up quite nice sometimes.

Again, kaybyrd, my Eleanor Roosevelt, you have proven yourself once again. I am proud of you!!!!!!! Go forth and take the world by storm, if only in a car that runs safely.

Old 04-21-03, 07:20 PM
I got the giggles when I called my instructor to tell him I wouldn't be coming to class and why. He asked if Mike was home and could he fix the car. I couldnt help but laugh. Sorry, no offense to my husband. He will be the first to tell you that he doesn't know how to work on cars, and really doesn't care to learn.

I understand why he would like for me to not feel I have to work on the car or truck. I get frustrated because I don't have the tools or the weather is bad. He's trying to be sweet, but there are times I have to do what I have to do. I learned this stuff so I wouldn't be stuck like I am right now.

Oh well, tis life. I did get by tae earlier today to see Mr. B. Ian is wanting to take a break. Mr. Bridgeforth wanted to talk to him. Guess we're going to go ahead and let him take a few months off. He's going to get behind but that's alright. Hate for him to burn totally out on it. We were going almost every day there for awhile. While there we (Mike came too) worked on the timer for the sign outside. I did think to call him when I couldn't get back up there so he wouldn't worry. We're not sure if we got the timer fixed or not. May end up being an electrician deal if the wiring for its wrong. We won't touch that.

Anyway, life is still good. Got all my grocery shopping done earlier today, and bills paid, too. Bought a second Geo. Foreman grill, but this is the smallest one. Thought it might be good to have for lunch when its just me and/or Lee. Oh, good news, too! Lee went for an interview today and got the job if he passes the drug test. He will be working for Firestone as a mechanic! Pretty neat. He is suppose to go for the drug test tomorrow, but we can reschedule it. Then he has a few days of training (video watching) and then to work. He'll be making $10 per hour. Funny, right after he found out he got the job, his old job called him back to work. Mike was relieved that he didn't go back to work at ECG since the job was only 4 days, and working with Mike as temporary help. Lee would rather be a mechanic than work as a cable installer. Can't say I blame him. He also loves to work on cars, so that is an added bonus. For me: maybe he will move out soon LOL!

Kay

Search this Thread