Philosophically speaking... part II

Old 04-23-03, 03:46 PM
Specter
Visiting Guest
Philosophically speaking... part II

Having just read the ...Philosophically speaking... about driving in the left lane at the posted speed, I need to speak out about all of the self important people & their stinking cell phones. The last time I flew was to a Super Bowl (I won the tickets, hotel & car rental). If there was one, there were 101 people at each air port with a cell phone glued to their ear, even after boarding. In Chicago, the pilot announced that all cell phones, lap tops & other electronic devices must be turned off. The jet was several hundred yards down the runway during take off, when the pilot throttled the engines back & pulled off on a cross taxi way. He announced that there was a warning light illuminated & they must have it checked (duh). Before he got back to the terminal, he got back in line for take off. Turns out it was a false alarm, probably due to someone turning on their cell phone. I work in an aviation related industry & I have been told that the signal a cell phone generates will sometimes set off some alarms & warning signals. I became very vocal about the IDIOT who turned on his or her phone. The more I talked about it the LOUDER I became. Not one of the flight crew said a word to me & I finally shut my yap, but I did feel better. I did apologize to those sitting near with the provision that if they were the guilty party, I hoped they had a flat tire at their destination.
Has anyone else had an experience (good or bad) with cell phone users?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-23-03, 04:48 PM
I have been talking on the phone with my friend while she's driving down the road. It is awful to hear "oh heavens", a crash and then silence. We have an agreement now, if it is absolutely necessary that one of us be on the phone while driving we must we headsets and not do any joking or major discussions while driving. If one of the kids are in the car with me they will answer the phone, or will make the call and get the information needed.

I also agree with no cellphone use in public places. I don't know about you guys but when I go to a restaurant to eat, I don't want any phone calls. I also don't want to listen to anyone else's either.

Another thing that irritates me is the use of cellphones in the hospitals. Just gripes on my part.

Kay

Old 04-23-03, 08:12 PM
MsChip
Visiting Guest
I think those who drive and talk on cellphones without an ear piece, or like device, should have to pay a higher car insurance preminums since many people can't seem to hold a phone to their ear with one hand and juggle the steering wheel with the other hand, all while not being able to pay attention to the road or how they're driving.

Old 04-23-03, 08:57 PM
I love my headset. When driving alone I hook it up to the phone and put it on. The new phone I just purchased also has it where I can push a little button near the mouthpiece on the headset and then say the name of who I want to call. I still pull over if its an in depth conversation. The way some of these people drive I need my full attention on them and the road!

Its funny, not really, to see people trying to drive while holding the cellphone to their ear with their shoulder. Really now. How well can you see the road from that angle either!

I'm not sure which is worse - people putting makeup on while driving, trying to eat a full course meal while driving or talking on the cellphone. Even seen a few talking on the phone, eating and smoking a cigarette all at the same time. Jeez.

Kay

Old 04-24-03, 10:15 AM
magister
Visiting Guest
Though there has been times recently when I wished that we had a cellphone, usually it's when my wife has gone to the grocery and I suddenly think of something to add to the list; But that just gives me an excuse to go back out, later and I can always use an excuse to leave the house because as a stay-at-home/work-from-home dad, I don't actually get that many opportunities; But any way you look at it, I usually live in places with poor or spotty coverage and we tried it a few years ago, but decided it wasn't a necessity and was something I'd rather do without. (Sometimes, I just don't want to be found and sometimes, it's better if I'm not)

That said; What I find amusing is all the people with the things plastered to their ears; I was in the mall over Christmas and not only was a large percentage of the folks walking around with the devices permanently attached, but I was in Spenser Gifts and I swear 80% of the folks inside the crowded store were talking on the phone. Including one group of six, twenty-something guys who were obviously together, following one behind the other, with all six on separate phones. I joked at the time, perhaps they were talking to each other, but judging from some of the commercials; I may not have been far off the mark. (Duck, Duck, Goose?)

Can you hear me now?
R

Old 04-24-03, 03:41 PM
Specter
Visiting Guest
At one time, we thought about getting one. I saw an ad for one that was cheap & it could call only a few pre-programed numbers. I think it was something like Home, 911 & maybe one other. Those are about the only ones I would need any way & then only in an emergency.
I have flown many times & many miles but that flight was the first time my wife had ever been airborn. According to her, it was her last too. The "emergency shut down" just made it worse. It almost took an act of God to get her back on the aircraft for the return flight.
I have an idea. Why doesn't some enterprising soul start a new group to compete with PETA. Something like People for the Ethical Treatmant of Other People (PETOP)? The first thing would be to raise a bunch of money with the rally cry of "STOP TESTING PEOPLE"S ROAD RAGE WITH CELL PHONES!" or "CELL PHONES CAUSE LONG TERM MEMORY LOSS!" or better yet "CELL PHONE TECHNOLOGY CAUSED THE DEATH OF ONE MILLION DEFENSLESS ANIMALS!" (That one would get PETA behind the group).

Old 04-24-03, 05:24 PM
Have you guys ever noticed how many kids have these things today? Amazing!

magister spoke of everyone having a cellphone. When I first moved to Memphis about 7 years ago (from a very small town) I took my kids to the park. I couldn't believe it. Husband and wives there with their children, but each were on a phone. Even those playing tennis would occassionally stop to answer a phone that was strapped to them while they were playing tennis.

I have to admit, I had almost every imaginable feature on my landline. All of it, though, was to keep my privacy. If I didn't want to answer the call (thank you caller id) then I didn't, they could leave a message (thank you voice mail). I have a cellphone today. I carry with me all the time. I don't have the most reliable vehicle in the world, I also check up on my kids, but I got it moreso because I have to drive for hours for the drop off and pickup of my children when they visit their father. Some of those roads are way out there! Of course, I had to check coverage area before selecting a phone.

My kids think its cool. They love to sneak it and talk on it. Yeah, runs up my bill. I don't have many minutes. I do have those nights and weekends that are wonderful for calling my mother in law, or my best friend.

Kay

Old 04-27-03, 02:39 AM
magister
Visiting Guest
_top

Kay; When I go into the city, I too am amazed at the number of teenagers with the phones and I guess I have already decided that when my daughter gets old enough, I'll have to let her get one, also.

Unfortunately, we usually live in places with poor coverage, such as here, if my wife was going to Walmart; I could call her before she got far out of town and I could call her when she was pretty close to the Walmart, but in between there are miles and miles of mountain-ringed desert with no coverage. At least, that's the experience that she has had with the phone she is assigned for work (work only).

In Abq, according to the paper, the big thing for teens are those Cricket phones because they are repeatedly running articles about where they can and can not call on the teen pages. And from these articles, I've been able to determine that Cricket is not available in my town.

Specter: All it takes is a form or two with your state's Secretary of State's office, a form or two with the IRS, name a board and you could start your own non-profit corp; Then, you build a website to raise money and awareness, then you can pay yourself a salary and have your own "home-based business"; Go for it...

Peace, Love & Happiness;
R

Last edited by magister; 04-27-03 at 05:57 AM.
Old 04-27-03, 06:00 AM
Ranting about Telephones

In my mind, these telephones, cellular and otherwise, exist for convenience. Mine.

The children never did understand why I would not answer the telephone at home, when I did not want to talk on the phone. I always believed that an important call would be repeated; and there were precious few of them then.

When the peddlers started calling at all hours and hanging up when I did not answer right away, I did some checking with the telephone company. These pests can call you and let your phone ring. When you pick it up there is no one there. This is legal. If I call you and hang up after you answer, this is harassment, and is illegal. Go figure.

I can spend money on caller ID or caller intercept to attempt to manage this. My view is that the calls should not be placed in this manner to start. When the telephone rings, and the caller ID shows blocked, no name, no number calls. I pick up the telephone and hang it back up. Fair play. If I wanted an unusual opportunity to have vinyl siding applied to my burglar alarm for a free trip to Madagscar, I would have called them.

Cell phones. Who are these people talking to all the time? How about some peace and quiet and some manners? I have had a cell phone since the days when they were bigger than a brick. I like the convenience, my convenience.

I could be standing somewhere talking to someone. His cell phone rings, and he answers it. Now my presence is worth nothing. I got here first, and someone else just rings in. How rude. I did not do this in business and am offended to be at a business talking business when the employee answers some random call and leaves me hanging.

I like having a cell phone, because the children can call me anytime. My wife can reach me easily. Since I am not in a fixed location, reaching me can be a problem. They understand that they can call and I won't answer if I am busy with a patient. That is why there is the answering machine function.

I am sure that you would not like it, if I were to stop treating your heart attack to answer a call from someone wanting to discuss kayaking.

Telephones are almost as galling as the vast amounts of spam I pay to receive in my e-mail account. Generally, 50% of my e-mail is spam; and I am paying for every piece. We desperately need a way to get this under control. If there were only a way to send it back to these freeloading parasites.

Old 04-27-03, 08:14 AM
Very well said!

Its a shame that the world is becoming use to many people having cellphones and having to stop whatever they're doing to answer one when it rings. My kids are the worlds worst! If its ringing in their eyes it HAS to be answered.

Riding down the road, mom (me) is driving. Kids are all in the car, oldest has fought victoriously for the right to ride in the front seat aka "upfront". The radio gets turned on. Now its louder. Mom reaches for the volume button on the steering wheel and lowers it. "Hey, I was listening to that", and mom says, " well I'm not". Upfronter is bored now. Cellphone rings. Upfronter reaches for mom's purse to answer the phone. Mom says, "just let it ring, I don't want to talk to anyone right now." Upfronter say, "I'll answer it for you". Mom replies, "what good is that going to do? Its not for you, its my cellphone". "But mom...its ringing", says the upfronter..... At this point mom takes the phone from the upfronter, hits the ignore button, and then the off button. Phone is now officially not ringing. Upfronter is upset. Claims mom is dramatic and rude.

I went to have my hair trimmed last week. I carry the cellphone with me in case the kids call from school. Of course, the phone rings while I'm getting my hair trimmed. Hairdresser asks if I would like to answer it. I tell her if she doesn't mind I would like to check the number on it just in case. She says okay, I check and then sit back in the chair. It begins ringing again. I tell the hairdresser that it is my oldest daughter calling from school wanting me to pick her up. She (hairdresser) asks if I need to answer it, and I tell her no since it is a cellphone number of a friend that my daughter calls from. Its not the school number so she is obviously not dying or sick. The hairdresser gets a call while cutting my hair, she smiles at me and asks the receptionist to please take a message and she will return the call later. It felt good. Nice to know that my trim was more important than the phone call. I wonder if hairdressers are beginning to learn how to cut hair around cellphones attached to the ear of customers?

I have learned that if I ever get my nails done (artificial ones) that if your nailist (not sure what you call them) gets a phone call you'd better not let them work on your nails while they're on the phone. Cellphone or otherwise. They are NOT paying attention to your nails and, well, you can either end up with a cut cuticle, dented nail bed or just a really funky looking set of nails.

Kay

Old 04-27-03, 08:23 AM
Ps. LOL

Just as I submitted this my cellphone rang. I didn't answer it, but hit the ignore button. My oldest daughter comes flying out of the bedroom and asks "who was it?". If I would have answered it and started talking she wouldn't have surfaced, but I didn't and cut the ringing off quickly. Bugs the total fool out of her. According to her I may have missed something big by not answering it. Hmmm. What, her friends calling me to tell me that he said that she said that their friend said that so-and-so is cute?

Kay

Old 04-27-03, 07:36 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Hmm... sending back all the spam to the spammers... That is an interesting thought... I wish there were an easy way to do that... I saw a suggestion one time for dealing with all the junk POSTAL mail you get... Take all of the business reply envelopes out, and without putting anything identifiable in them, just seal them and drop them back in the box... That way the junk mail sender has to pay the postage but gets no benefit... I actually started going a step further... Anyone that sends me a credit offer or vinyl siding offer or life insurance, etc., etc... I just take all the business reply envelopes out, and then take the rest of the junk ads and such in the mail and cram them in the postage paid envelopes and then drop them all back in the mailbox... I bet those guys love getting the little care packages back...

Old 04-27-03, 07:42 PM
The only problem with trying to send the email spam back or even trying to get off their mailing lists is that it isn't a valid email address/link to begin with or is set up to not receive mail at that address.

I've heard of people sending mail back that way though. That's neat. I'm still having trouble remembering to put "In God We Trust" on the backs of my envelopes before I mail them off.

Kay

Old 04-27-03, 07:48 PM
Junk mail

I do the same, Ragnar. When I get a telemarketing call at work or at home, I know when they are soliciting, and I ask them. They say "yes." I say, "Please remove my name from your calling list. This is a legal reguest." My calls have been reduced dramatically. Because my home phone number is not listed in my own name, but a dog I used to own. When someone calls and asks for my dog, I hang up. I never give my home phone number to anyone. I always give my work number, and when someone insists for a second number, I give them my fax number. My neighbor at my mountain cabin makes up a second telephone number.

While cell phones have created great convenience for us to stay in touch with others, they have also created problems. Like everything else in life, there are upsides and downsides.

Because I travel rural areas, my staff cannot reach me and I cannot reach them when I want. One day, I hope there is a grand cell phone satellite in the sky that puts these little services out of business. Problem, our landscape will be dotted with those hideous cell towers that serve no purpose.

When I go to my mountain cabin that is in one of the most rural parts of WV, it does not work. I have a telephone there, but no long distance service, so I use my calling card. If I could eliminate the cost of maintaining a phone there, it would be a financial boost, but I need to be able to call 911.

Old 04-27-03, 08:06 PM
Towers, oh my. There are tons of them between here and Hickory Flat (an hours drive). On the way to meet my youngest two's dad I have to hear my phone switch between towers which honestly, aren't but a mile apart. Sometimes my phone gets stuck between the two and the best part is...I can't make or receive phone calls because its constantly switching towers. What's the point?

Oh well, I do rely on it a lot. Am glad that I have one but sometimes I wish it would go back to the times when I didn't feel lost without it. The times when you would be stuck on the road and you were helped by someone actually nice not someone looking to harm someone else or take advantage of their situation. When neighbors knew each other and could trust each other to help with the children in a case of emergencies, etc.

Boy times are really changin' aren't they.

Kay

Old 04-29-03, 09:04 AM
While I was lurking around some here have said they want to do something about email spam, I have been using a program called Mail Washer, you run it before you use your email program, you can then bounce the un wanted email back to the sender. I have attached the link so you can check it out for yourself, I like it.

http://www.mailwasher.net/

Have a look..

Old 05-05-03, 12:08 PM
MsChip
Visiting Guest
I have a cellphone because it cost less for making long distance calls than a land line. I'm also located on county line where the calling the next county, which is two miles away, is an in-state long distance call.

I also like to keep in touch with my family both in-state and out-of-state. I bought my mother a cellphone last year who lives in another state and between our cellphone plans we can talk for an unlimited number of times and hours between cellphones. You just can't be that with stick, ecomonically speaking, so cellphones have positive advantages if you make use of these advantages.

As far as kids having cellphones, I think parent's initial intentions were so they can get a hold of their children while they're away from the nest, or if their kids had gotten into trouble then they can easily call home. To me, that makes perfect sense. OTOH, there are a large number parents who feel they are depriving their child if they don't give their child every new and imaginable whiz bang toy that's available.

Regarding telemarketers....I live in a state who has a No Call list. The telemarker calls have dropped dramatically since this law went into affect and after I put our number on the list. But we still get the occasional calls from charities, politicans, or other groups whom are exempt from the No Call law. Once the federal No Call law goes into affect I expect the same loop holes to exist. There's no way to avoid getting calls no matter how many times you request that charities and political groups stop calling your number.

One thing I did learn recently about telemarketing firms is that if you answer a call and go along with talking with a telemarketer then your name and number gets added to a NEW list of potential buyers, just because you gave that telemarketer the time of day to listen to their hawking of wares, even if you didn't buy their product. The best thing to do, if you want to discourage telemarketers, is to keep your answer short...such as saying "no thank you and remove this number from your list", then immediately hang up the phone. Some people find this to be rude but if you don't want to continue getting rude calls while you're eating dinner then the door must swing boths ways. If that same telemarketing company calls back at another time or day, then tell them that by law they are REQUIRED to remove your number from their contact list. If that doesn't stop them from future calls then either ask for their supervisor, or contact your attorney, and/or tell the supervisor that you will contact your attorney. Usually, in my previous experiences with these annoying people, the last method gets the point across.

Old 05-05-03, 01:27 PM
What I gather about email spam today is that they have software that searches sites for email addresses. I've seen other sites recommend that you place your email as:

[email protected] or
[email protected] etc.

The search gathers the email addys, but can't read. I'm figuring soon they will be able to filter the NOSPAM label out of the email addys soon but for now it helps somewhat. Anyone who has a valid reason to send you an email will have to remove the NOSPAM part to get to the actual email address.

Kay

Ps. Funny when I submitted this I forgot to remove the URL tagging and this program took the second email name and tagged it as [email protected] leaving the anyone off the front. Hmmmm..

K.

Old 05-05-03, 08:21 PM
MsChip
Visiting Guest
How do you like your spam????

Here's how spammers get your address that I know of from my 8+ years of experience on the internet and why you may be getting spam mail.

Spammers filter out every combination of NOSPAM from an email address. Using NOSPAM is something that worked almost flawlessly years ago but now spammers have caught on to that tactic.

Farm email addresses from business sites, personal sites, personal homepages on freebie servers, and online discussion boards (including the doityourself.com boards), etc. As long as you can see an email address, even after clicking on a link, then your email address is farm-able.

Submitting your email address to online newsletters of any type, or other automated information.

Ordering products online. Businesses love to sell their customer's databases because spammers will pay them for this information. Business may state they have strict privacy policies, but when the creditors are banging on their doors the first thing they sell for hard cash is their customer database to database collection agencies. Amazon.com did this many years ago.

Farming contact information from any number of domain name registars, such as Dotster, VeriSign, GoDaddy, WhoIs.net, etc. Lately I noticed that some registars are now offering customers a private or generic email address in the contact info, instead of listing the customers real email address. The generic address, instead, sends all email addresses to the registra's trash bin.

Electing to "opt-out" of spam is a sure fire way to get yourself even more spam mail because once you "opt-out" you just confirmed with the spammer that they now have a valid/working email address. State laws that require an "Opt-out" option is a complete joke, IMO.

Replying to spam mail with your own spam. Sure, giving a spammer a piece of your mind may make you feel better but it does little to effect the spammer because in most cases the spammer is filtering all replies directly to the trash bin, thus your email never reaches a pair of eyeballs. Back in the day before the word Internet became a household term I use to email spammers a huge can of Spam (as in a image file) as my way of saying "Enjoy my spam too!". But now...it's a waste of time to even think about doing that.

If your ISP offers some type of anti-spam filter, don't worry the spammer will find a way to defeat their system. As long as a spammer sends an email from a valid web server that can pass the email handshake (negotiation) process, and that spammers address isn't already on a blacklist then that spam will get through. I think the only ISP who offers the best anti-spam feature is AOL, where as AOL customers can choose to only accept email from address the customer lists. All ISP's should take this approach, IMO, because basically it leaves the customer the option to "opt-in" instead of the lame "opt-out" feature.

I'm sure I can think of more ways and means, but right now I'm tapped out for ideas.

Old 05-05-03, 09:12 PM
I'm at a loss for it all. I have probably received 4 pieces of spam in the last 6 months with my regular email addys. I freely use my email addresses, too.

The only place that receives tons of spam is the email addys that I have at DIY, and hotmail.

Oh well, sure as I type this I will be bombarded with spam LOL.

Kay

Ps. Have no filters, or spaminators involved either.

K.

Old 05-05-03, 10:34 PM
On average, 45% of all the mail I receive is spam. I resent paying for this intrusion on my time, money, and mail server's bandwidth. I have filters operating, but as MsChip says, they find another address to spoof.

Someone suggested that I change my address, but that really gives in to the spammers. Besides, it is my address. Unfortunately, it will take someone like the FTC to get this under control. Otherwise, the spammers may well ruin the internet for email. They have even found a way to send mail with no subject showing up so that a filter set to 'no subject' won't catch it.

AOL is a source of spam.

I guess I need to work on getting spam assassin working.

Old 05-05-03, 10:57 PM
Chris,

I used spam assassin on my website for awhile. It did a great job. However, over time it started killing stuff I wanted to keep. I still got the mail, but it was distorted somehow, not really blocked. Oh well, never had the patience to read up on how to fine tune it. Just killed the whole process and haven't had any problems with spam lately either.

Kay

Old 05-06-03, 06:05 AM
I saw on one of the Linux forum boards today where someone did their email this way:

name (at) domain (dot) com

Can they find something like that with their searches for email addresses?

Kay

Old 05-06-03, 01:14 PM
MsChip
Visiting Guest
Find "name (at) domain (dot) com" ? Probably since it's only characters they're filtering through.

Even if the FTC does pass some type anti-spam law, there's no way to stop anything coming in from outside the US. A lot of spam comes from any number of countries. Some states have introduced or passed laws against deceptive marketing messages in the subject line, but even if the email subject says "Viagra, Grow Bigger Be Stronger Today!!!!", that's still spam that everyone is sick of receiving in their email box.

Here's a portion of the recently introducted "CAN-SPAM" senate bill reads...(I think it was introducted into Senate today).

"The bill would require all marketing e-mail to have a valid return e-mail address, so recipients could easily ask to be removed from mass e-mail lists. Once notified, a company would be prohibited from sending any further messages to a consumer who has asked them to stop. "

Again, we're back to confirming with a spammer that a valid email address of a user exists which can thus be sold to some other spammer. Why can't these senators get it into their thick Internet illerate heads that the majority of people want "opt-in only" anti-spam legislation, and not "opt-out".

Search this Thread