I am going to do it!

Old 04-24-03, 06:39 PM
I am going to do it!

A few months ago I posted about competing in a tae tournament. Well, I chickened out. I slept late, but that was just my subconscious taking over. If I really wanted it to happen, I would have made it happen.

Saturday there is a tourney in Memphis. I am going to go. I'm not going for a try at a trophey or to prove anything. I'm just going to go and have fun. My instructors and classmates talked to me tonight about my fears. They told me that no matter what happens, that they will always be proud of me for just simply trying.

Right now I am actually excited about it. If I freeze up and forget what I'm suppose to do, they said just go back to starting position and the judges will know that I'm through (as far as I can go).. This way, if I forget, I won't embarass myself by trying to stumble through something after forgetting. Just the 'honorable' way to bow out of the competition.

I'm not sure why I can't perform in public, but I can speak in public. What's the difference? Oh well, I'm going to do it no matter what. I believe that I will be a better person just having tried.

Kay

Sponsored Links
Old 04-25-03, 06:53 AM
Well Allright!!!!

as i said previously have fun, and KICK @$$!!!!!

Old 04-26-03, 06:43 PM
Okay, I did it. Scared the fool out me but I did it. By the time I got around to competing I wasn't scared anymore, but totally wiped out from fretting before that LOL. I did okay. I bombed on my sparring techniques, but managed to place 3rd out of 7 in the form competition.

I don't plan on doing this again. I got past my fear, realized I wasn't going to die from this, but I am way too old to go through all of that again.

Kay

Old 04-27-03, 01:59 AM
magister
Visiting Guest
Congrats; You won a bronze!

Old 04-27-03, 07:58 PM
Do it!

Geez, kaybyrd, the last I knew you were self-critical about not being able to do 50 pushups. I can't do one.

I missed out somewhere in our communication. You kicked ass and got an award?

You are my heroine. I adore you. You are an inspiration for all of us.

Performance in public. Get over it. Know that we little people who watch you struggle to carry out the trash and could never do what you do. You are the expert. Too, it might help, as the old experts use to advice, imagine your audience as naked. Or imagine yourself performing in private and block out all the audience.

As a lay theatre performer, when the footlights are shining, you can't see any audience. So, you are home free.

I am proud. kaybyrd! kaybyrd! kaybyrd!

Old 04-27-03, 09:05 PM
I'm just so excited that I got through it. Actually, after recovering from this I've decided that I might do it again, but not at the next tournament. I was thinking it was nationals, but its actually world championships. There will be at least 300 people in my rank competing, and they will be from all over the world. Nope, won't even think about that one LOL. Maybe the next local tournament. I know that I could have done better. My form was almost flawless during class. Next time I have something to prove: I am the oldest and going to be the best LOL. hehehe. I let those 'youngsters' beat me.

Everyone is so nice at the tournaments that I can't understand why I was so nervous. Once again, I'm just glad that I got past the initial fear and went for it, whatever it was.

Ps. Tonight I looked at my trophy and beamed! I am proud of it.

Kay

Old 04-29-03, 07:17 AM
Good Job Kay!!!
i knew you could do it!!!! you darn well better get in there next time world or not. show those whipper-snappers the way it is!!!!!

After complaining to the wife about some of the 17 and 18 y.o.'s in my roller hockey league skating circles around me she was soooooo helpful in reminding me "you know you ARE twice their age!" hey, thanks honey, next time why dont you kick me right in the groin!!!! it would probably hurt less!!! how did that old commercial go? "Sometimes words hit harder than a fist!!!"

Frank

Feelin' the burn in Jersey

Old 04-29-03, 07:45 AM
Well, last night at tae my instructor informed me that I'm going to world's whether I wanted to or not LOL. I'm excited about training for it, but ... (Behold the Underlying Truth) as it gets closer I will probably chicken out. Maybe not so I won't make a decision about it today. Its in June so I don't have much time to get ready. Although I'm fixing to rank up another belt, he said that I could compete orange belt in worlds so we'll work on that, plus my new material. We will decide which works best for me.

We also focused on what my fears were in the tourney and what distractions got me. I started strong, and then wimped out. We're going to being having me practice in a smaller area, maybe with chairs and other obstacles so I can get use to having both judges and other competitors that close to me while doing my form. I'm glad that I went so I can prepare for next time. Guess that's what its all about.

Tommorrow I will work on leg strength at the gym. Don't want to try that today since I have tae again tonight and we're going to work on it too.

All in all I accomplished what I wanted. I faced a fear and won. I am a happier person today because of it. I am also facing today's challenges a lot better than I would have a week ago. I just found out my son (19 this weekend) may have been involved in a prank that could put his tail in jail. I haven't talked with him, but found out from my BIL that the police have already spoken with him about it. He may not be involved, but if he is I won't bail him out. I've talked to my children about being involved with trouble makers and even if they aren't actually causing the trouble just being with that element makes them just as guilty. Oh well, I have a life and intend to keep on living it. I love my son enough to let him deal with it.

My SIL is crying over this crud too. Her husband is missing work because of it. Such a bother sometimes, just wish she could detach from them a little. Yes, it involves my other BIL too. Always a problem, but only if I allow it to be one. Just because they're family doesn't mean I have to go down, too.

Have a great day! I intend to!

Kay

Search this Thread