Whats wrong with whistling?!?!?!?

Old 05-03-03, 06:28 AM
Question Whats wrong with whistling?!?!?!?

OK does this happen to anyone else out there????
youre puttering around the house and the radio is on and a great song comes on, maybe one you havent heard in a while. then after about a minute the wife is standing next to you giving you "THE LOOK"!!
you know the one i mean, the "Keep that up and i'll knock you into the middle of next week" look.
so like any oblivious husband i say "What?!?!?!?"
this is the point where she replies "HAVE I TOLD YOU HOW MUCH I HATE THE WHISTLING!!!?!!!?!?!?!"
so then i say "was I whistling??"
this is pretty much where things get out of hand and all hell breaks loose!!!

Dont women realize that sometimes it is an automatic response that we men have no control over?? we dont do it to annoy, its just a way of going along with the tune without singing!!!

Anyone else notice this??

Sponsored Links
Old 05-03-03, 07:30 AM
MsChip
Visiting Guest
Two words: marriage counseling

Old 05-03-03, 08:25 AM
Ms. Chip:
ive got 2 words for you...can you guess what they are??

BTW-FYI my marriage is just fine...

Old 05-03-03, 08:27 AM
I too, whistle. I can't carry a tune so sining or humming is definitely out of the question!

My kids get on to me, too. I guess they are distracted by the whistling while listening to the radio and it bothers them. I also whistle when I work around the house without the radio on. Its very calming.

I don't think that marriage counseling is in order LOL. I give my husband that look every once in awhile too, and he gives me that look on occassion, too. That look doesn't have any affect on anyone other than him or me. Never causes a fight, just some type of weird exchange that usually leads to a few laughs.

I like to hear people whistle. Unless, of course, its that high pitched or really loud whistle that you use to call large animals LOL. When I hear people whistling a tune I realize that they are happy. Such a simple way to pass time.

On a side note toward health, it is good for you to whistle. Most people can take in a lot of air, but fail to exhale as deeply. Whistling requires that you exhale or push out a lot of air from your lungs so you can take in a lot more fresh air, and expell more stale air in your lungs.

Now, knuckle cracking...that one is hard for me to sit and listen to!

Kay

Old 05-03-03, 08:36 AM
another good one is when shes totally involved in something, and i just walk in to the room and she hasnt heard me, ill say something and she'll just about jump out of her skin!!!

now i fint it hard to believe she cant hear this 200+ pounder lumbering around the house but hey, it happens. and as you said Kay even tho i get the "Look" it usually evolves into lauughs wrasslin', etc.

Old 05-03-03, 08:54 AM
That's funny. That happens with Mike and I. Probably why we give each other those looks. It usually ends up with the one receiving the looks saying something to the effect: "well, you think that's bad, how about this..." then the chase is on, someone gets tickled and lots of laughing. Or just getting a huge bear hug and lots of kisses.

Pretty funny us married folk LOL.

Aint life grand at times!

Kay

Old 05-03-03, 09:05 AM
sometimes is all the reason you need to get up in the morning!!!

Old 05-03-03, 09:07 AM
it sure is!

Kay

Old 05-03-03, 12:12 PM
Whistling dates from the prehistoric period when humans were cave dwellers and dependent upon hunting and gathering for survival. The truly hungry, passionate, committed members of the tribe were the ones who did the best at these tasks and were most successful in sustaining the family. The men would diligently hone their tracking and spear throwing skills to keep the meat on the table. They practiced running and climbing to be the best at the chase for game. The women were always most interested in the male who did the best at hunting. This way, the men who excelled had the pick of the women to bear their children and insure the survival of the race. The genetic material of the best hunter would be passed along to future generations. Their continued successes enabled the offspring to be fed well and to grow into healthy adults. As humans continued to flourish on the earth, becoming more established and developing into communities it became apparent that forming teams to chase and hunt animals worked best for the community as a whole. Men could form a group and hunt, feeding the entire tribe better and in less time than when it had to be done individually. The women benefitted from this, but began to be troubled. They could no longer tell which men were the best to breed with to pass along the best genes to the future. The food was spread among all. No longer did the best hunter have the most food. But the men were pleased at the arrangement. It took less individual effort and risk to provide food. The women pondered diligently upon how to pick the ablest males. After a long period of time, they decided that the amount of time and energy that went into the practice of hunting and chasing was the best marker of potential for the males at hand. Nevertheless, the women were unable to follow the men out and about when the spear throwing and running were done. The women were at the hearth tending to the young and preparing food for the family. Once again, they pondered long and hard to determine the best male. They could not go and watch the activities, so they had to come up with something else. After much deliberation and debate, they determined that hunting and running could not be done well, unless the hunter or runner was quiet. So the women decided that not being quiet was the hallmark of a man who was not intent upon the task of providing for the family. They could tell that men whistled when they weren't hunting or pursuing game. It came to pass that women did not like the whistling because the man was not concentrating on providing for the family. As this became imprinted upon the psyche of the women, an ability developed to convey the awareness of the wandering attention of the male. This has been passed down unchanged for millenia. The signal that whistling was frowned upon became - the look.

Old 05-03-03, 12:40 PM
That makes sense.

Kay

Old 05-03-03, 12:46 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Well, while that is one theory (and a fantastic one at that), I have a different theory... I JUST LIKE WHISTLING, and humming... Now my wife doesn't get annoyed by anything... I could whistle "Dixie" while humming the "Star Spangled Banner", and she wouldn't even notice... I however have a list of about 2.3 million sounds that drive me up the wall... Pouring milk, forks against teeth, smacking of any kind, movie kissing, just to name a few... My wife basically won't eat at the table with me for fear of "the look" from me...

I personally don't believe men were ever "cave men" anyway, and I also don't believe in survival of the fittest as a general rule, or evolution either... So in my book, the old hunter theory don't quite hold water...

Old 05-03-03, 02:04 PM
*smacking*

That is another one that truly gets me! People sounding like cows chewing their cud. How gross, and rude!

Kay

Old 05-05-03, 11:31 AM
MsChip
Visiting Guest
The only two words I can think of that fatkid says I should know would be "thank you"...so with that I would have to say "your very welcome and glad I could help".