Just a chatting' & a little whining...

Old 05-10-03, 08:42 AM
Just a chatting' & a little whining...

Here we go with the periods of discontentment again. In a silly funk today. Its been slow in the forums (the ones I know anything about anyway) so I feel almost as though I've been laid off.

Which brings me to another issue. The personnel at my DH work have had their hours cut back to 30 per week. They've all lost a week of their vacation due to lack of work. My husband is guaranteed hours in his area, but still this does not sound good. We go through this at least twice a year. It has always worked out well, but there is always that possibility that the company will fold. I'm thinking that I may need to go ahead and go back to work this time. Just in case.

That is another issue. Go back to work. That's a very vague topic. Back to work? Where? I've worked so many jobs/places over my 41 years that I have no clue where to go. My last job was working at a local Sonic Drive In. At one time, it paid my bills. Toward the end it was simply to fill my time and also to help with the bills. If I manage, then I spend way too many hours there, if I just work there I only get a limited amount during the week. Honestly, I would rather not get back into fast food. It is very stressful to me. I haven't worked in an office for many years. I only own one dress, actually two. A winter dress and a summer dress for those 'rare' occassions that I need to wear one. If I go to work in a garage, then the hours are an issue too. They need people that can work a minimum of 8 hours a day, 6 days a week.

Please don't misunderstand, I don't mind working. In fact, I miss it. I'm just not sure how to handle all this. If I'm working, how do I meet my obligations to taekwondo, the gym, and other things that go on during the week that involve my children/family. I'm thinking that maybe office work would be my best bet, however, I don't have anything recent to put on my resume'. I know how to type, use computers, file, answer phones, etc. but don't have the 'experience' to back this. It would be my word only that they would have to go on.

My oldest is working now, but he's moved out so helping us is out of the question. Cutting back on expenses would be near impossible since we are constantly doing that anyway. We've reduced our debt to a house note, a car note and then our gym/tae obligations. The rest is basic living expenses, and we've cut those down and are still looking for ways to cut them further. It doesn't help that I've also taken on 4 online courses that consume a lot of my time and brain.

I'm currently stuyding computer programming and website building but these are time consuming and will take time to build the skills and/or a resume' to even consider hiring myself out to anyone. If I can do these courses, then physically attending school will be next. These are just prep-type courses to see if I can grasp this information before spending any more money on them.

Just chattin' guys. Rolling things around in my head. Nothing is super pressing at the moment but just would like to be prepared if things do manage to take a turn for the worse.

Its all good though. My family is basically happy, and everyone is healthy. We're not fighting over anything and sticking close together during these times. Just uncomfortable.

Thanks for listening (reading )

Kay

Sponsored Links
Old 05-10-03, 09:18 AM
harleyboy
Visiting Guest
Funk Arama

Maybe it's in the air, you know like spring fever. I've been in a low down, do nothin mood for days it seems. Hmmm? Just when things get settled something else shows it's ugly head and here we go again. Having a nice peaceful Sunday morning last week, just hangin out with the old man and noticed one of my Bassett hounds dragging her back legs. To make a long story short, poor puppy has a bad habit of climbing on top of her doghouse and flying off. Seems she had a blood clot on her spine from a blow to the back....super dog must've had a bad landing this time. Spent all day Monday with vets and then a hospital and surgery and she's home making great progress. But, my savings is drained, my emotions are on a rollercoaster and I"m 'dog' tired.
Budgeting for doggie surgery was not in my financial plans....ugh.
Staying ahead of the game is sometimes impossible. However, knowing how to 'play' the game is what gets us all through. Hope and the promise of a better tomorrow is what we have to hold on to. I know, personally, that no matter what comes my way, I have the love and support of my family. And without hard times how in the world would we ever know what the good times are?
As bummed out as I felt this past week, the sun came up every single day and I counted my blessings once again.

Old 05-10-03, 11:40 AM
Counting blessings and sticking close to family. That's about all we've really got in the long run isn't it. Life is good, even when the hand it deals you isn't always the best. There are other hands to be dealt, and sometimes we win.

Kay

Old 05-12-03, 05:34 AM
times like this make the good times more worthwhile. it must be something in the air, cause the wife and I seem to be just coming out of a spring fevery type slump, too!! its nice to see we're not alone!!!!

KAY,
Happy Mothers Day!!

Old 05-12-03, 06:25 AM
Thanks for the Happy Mothers Day. I had a pretty good one. We are a strange family. My husband spent the day at my brother in laws. They had a fish fry. I don't go for reasons I won't post. I love my brother in law, please don't misunderstand. We do have a tendency to butt heads though.

I did get a surprise though. One of my momma cats had kittens yesterday. I posted about it in pets. Pretty exciting at times. We thought we had lost the other momma to be, but she came home last night. Any day now we will be going through this again. A neighbor said that he knew of someone that would take the kittens when they were weaned and find them homes. Then its off to the vet to be spayed (mommas!). I goofed around and kept putting it off. This is my responsibility since I didn't take it before. I don't want my cats to ever have to go through that again! That's hard work! 6 of them.

Oh well, off to run errands.

Kay

Old 05-16-03, 04:06 PM
I feel your funk too!! It must be weather related, it's all gray and yucky outside and I feel pretty gray and yucky myself. Congrats on the kitties! Any give your gal an 'attaboy' for the way she handled things (yup, I read the other post in pets first!) Hey, when you take the momma cat to the vet, ask if they need any help say walking animals in the run, filing, or even computer related. Just casually mention that you are taking computer classes and thought about maybe doing something part-time and make it sound like it was almost an afterthought - you asking about part-time work. I know a couple of people that used this "It's not a need for me to have a job, I just think it would be nice for me" type attitude and it worked! They actually did need a job at the time, but didn't want to feel desperate about getting one as soon as possible so they used reverse-psych on themselves! It would help bring your resume into current date work experience and the hours would be good if you had to actively look for a full-time position. You could also ask at nursing homes and assisted living facilities about their non-nursing positions. A lot of hospitals hire people part-time to do transcription work and they hire based on test scores for typing (wpm) and terminology testing (being able to spell the lingo of the trade!). This helps those that don't exactly have experience in the medical field get a position that they wouldn't qualify for on paper

Old 05-16-03, 04:15 PM
I will check into those things you mentioned. It would be a way to bring my resume' current. I keep thinking of all the time I've put off going to school, and now regretting it! Am taking a few online courses now, but they are HARD. I think it would be easier in a classroom with someone explaining it to me instead of reading it online or just in a book.

Kay