Busy, busy....

Old 06-08-03, 09:10 AM
Smile Busy, busy....

I hope that everyone is having a great summer so far. For us summer starts the day school lets out LOL.

Its been quiet on the forums lately so I'm hoping that everyone is leading a really full life right now. I know I have. Hasn't always been exciting, but full.

My tae instructor came by this week to make sure I was still alive. He is so sweet. No pressure, no guilt, just knew that we'd been without a phone and wanted to make sure there wasn't anything major wrong here and if there was could he help out.

I have been procrastinating on the fixing the plumbing under my sink for the dishwasher. Thought we had it fixed, but I finally realized that I'm trying to work off defective pipes anyway so if I get it back down to the original plumbing and go from there I should be fine. Just haven't gotten back under there to work on removing and old tee and installing a dual shutoff from there.

I finally broke down and got tires for my car. They looked okay on the outside but apparently they were coming apart on the inside. I took it to the shop to have the tie rods checks since the steering wheel wobbles while driving down the road. It wasn't the tie rods, but my tires! Thank goodness my son works there so I could afford (with his discount) four good tires.

I also went and had my eyes checked. I am officially now an old person. I wear bifocals. Guys, its a trip! I still can't figure out how to work them. I got the nice ones without the line through the middle, but its still different. I forget to NOT look through the bottom of the lens when climbing stairs. I haven't been online much lately since reading a computer screen makes me sick to my stomach and/or really tired. Now I can actually see the screen again. I also didn't realize how you can't see colors as well when your vision is a little off. I thought I was going 'shade' color blind. I could see the colors, just had trouble seeing the various shades of things. I was confusing rusts with dark pinks, etc. Now I can see them! I am having trouble remembering to put them on though. I need to wear them more often, but am use to wearing my old glasses only while doing computer work and reading.

I bought Mike a PS2 last night. He is in heaven. He will never buy anything for himself for fear of taking something away from me or the kids. He just got a bonus check and I told him that he needs to spend part of it on himself. Nothing but blow it kind of spending it. He can't work just to be working, he needs to have something fun out of it too. He was planning to buy me some of the windows I'm wanting so I bought him the PS2 before he could LOL. Now I'm going to have to watch him since he played until 3 a.m. this morning. He gets wrapped up in it and doesn't realize how late it gets. Last night was fine since he can sleep in today, but I worry when he does that and has to go to work the next morning. I like knowing that he's alert at work since his job does require him to crawl through ceilings in these business and hospitals. I would like to keep him around for awhile! The ceilings aren't that high, but what you fall on below isn't always kind. There are desks, computer, and at times research equipment below. Hitting those can be awful when you fall and hurt you a lot! One boy fell through and hit his ladder on the way down, plus a desk. Thank goodness it only bruised a rib and his pride.

Guess I'll quit rambling now. Thanks to all that have been watching the forums for me since I haven't been on here lately.

Kay

Sponsored Links
Old 06-09-03, 12:11 PM
ok you bought him a PS2, the next question from a fellow PS2 junkie is what games??? im in the middle of a couple right now. hitman2, nascar thunder2003(of course), drakan, the two towers, GTA vice city. i just finished ghost recon. that one was awesome. any of those could keep me up till 3am no problem!!!!

Old 06-09-03, 12:29 PM
Its hard to buy games for him since he's not into the racing games, etc. He loves the Final Fantasy series, and I managed to score FFX on eBay last night. I'm having trouble finding it in the stores.

I bought him Bauldors Gate: Dark Alliance and Resident Evil: Code name Veronica. Lee (19yo) said the last one wasn't worth playing, but said to keep it since I only paid $20 for it. I'm not sure what all is out there for the PS2. Mike will never buy anything like that for himself so after forgetting the lettuce that day and him mentioning that 'if I happened to see a PS2 on the shelf to pick one of those up, too' I went to the only store that I knew had them in stock. Not many games, but even the ones they had didn't tell me much LOL.

What is Drakan and The Two Towers. I'm not very good at fighting games, but enjoy the puzzle type games. I like Tomb Raider since it requires you to figure things out. I'm such a girl when it comes to fighting monsters LOL. You know, scream...toss the controller...

Kay

Ps. I like the Myst series for the computer. No fighting, all figuring out puzzles and avoiding confrontation (you have no weapons).

K.

Old 06-09-03, 01:51 PM
baldurs gate i loved!! thatwas awesome. res evil CV wasnt bad. 2 towers is lord of the rings 2nd book/movie in video game form, a real button masher. drakan:the ancients gates is another medieval sword dragon type game, im especially fond of that type of game. have even been known to go to a renaisance festival a time or two. hitman and GTA both go to the darker side and give me a chance to do stuff id never do in real life. well maybe never J/K LOL

another good one was metal gear solid 2 sons of liberty. i think they call it tactical espionage!!

tomb raider was ok i never really got into it.

res evil series is known for its puzzles. although scaredy cats need not apply, many scary moments...u need to play that one alone in the dark!!!

Old 06-09-03, 02:13 PM
Drakan sounds like something I'd like to play. If there are a lot of monsters or things coming at me I do okay. Just when they jump out when I'm contemplating how to work a puzzle then it scares me.

Mike started with Bauldor's Gate. He really likes that one. He is home early...hmmmm...and now starting on Resident Evil CV.

I forgot to mention that I've also played Legend of Maya and also Legend of Legaia (sp? on both). Those were okay but if you put them down for too long without finishing its hard to remember where you were, or what you're suppose to be doing.

Kay

Ps. Well probably get Drakan soon since Mike thought he would like that one too.

K.

Old 06-10-03, 08:40 AM
drakan is sooooo neat. you actually get to fly around on a dragons back, and have airial battle w/ other dragons, plenty of dungeons and quests also. altho you do have to play as a girl.

btw like the penguin!!

Old 06-10-03, 09:01 AM
That game sounds cool. Mike is funny about being a girl though. He swaps characters on Dark Alliance, but still hasn't played as the girl LOL. That's okay, I'll play it!

Thanks on the pequin. Robert added that for me. I like it too! There are a few of us that use Linux and I thought they might want to 'brag' a little with their avatar. However, a lot of people don't know that Linux's mascot, logo or whatever, is a penguin. I didn't until I started using it.

Kay

Old 06-10-03, 09:07 AM
i too feel a little weird about playing a girl, but this game is worth it.
whats the deal w/ linux??? its an OS?

Old 06-10-03, 09:33 AM
Yep, Linux is an operating system. I really like it but had to learn how to configure things. Programs run separately from each other even thought they will work together. This way if say my browser gets messed up (corrupted) then it doesn't affect the way the rest of the system works. If that happens in Windows, usually you mess up the Windows operating system since the two are so closely integrated.

Linux isn't a resource hog either. I can run 10-15 applications (tried it just to see if I could) on my old Celeron pc, with only 256M of memory without freezing it up. Problem: all programs are open sourceware so there are problems. Some programs don't run properly since they aren't configured exactly to my machine, etc. I can, however, go in and do the configuring to the program to make it work correctly. Takes a lot of research and learning tidbits of coding/programming as I go.

Chris (chfite) has been my biggest help with getting Linux going. He sent me a copy of MDK 9.1 to try. I was using 9.0. Mandrake is a 'flavor' of Linux. There are several. I'm sure that you've heard of Debian and RedHat. Both of those are Linux operating systems. I tried RedHat, too, but don't like how much I have to configure to get it running and it didn't come with near the software that Mandrake does. If you don't get what you need, you can find it and download it online for free (some aren't free though, commercial versions are what keep Linux programmers alive and fed!). I'm not so swift at installing programs on my own since there is too much configuring to be done.

A huge adjustment for me is not being able to run my Windows software on here. I have photo programs, databases, etc that can't be run on here now. However, you get (free) with the version of Linux you choose programs that are very similar. I have an awesome photo editor that beats anything I could afford with Windows!

Kay

Old 06-18-03, 02:48 PM
Now there are several windows emulators, it is software that makes the computer think that is one a windows machine so you can run windows app’s on a Linux box. They very in quality great a bit. Right now I am into GTA Vice City, Splinter Cell, and Unreal Tournament. For the PC I am playing Sim City 4, Medal Of Honor. I play mostly after the rest of my house has gone to sleep, because I feel like I am not doing what I should if I play when they are awake.

Old 06-18-03, 03:01 PM
WeldGod,

Which emulator do you use? I tried Wine, but couldn't figure it out. This was back when I first got LInux so I haven't tried it again. Actually never really messed with it since I was too new at this and didn't chance it.

I would love to be able to run my desktop apps for the Palm on Linux.

Kay

Old 06-18-03, 04:38 PM
I am using Win4Lin as a windows emulator. It handles Palm and most windows apps except it doesn't support directx. Almost everything else runs fine.

I never had much luck with Wine from the start, so I kind of left it on the side.

Old 06-18-03, 04:44 PM
I will give it a try. I just bought a Palm and am still deciding which program demo's that I've downloaded that I would like to purchase. Sometimes things are just easier to learn how to use when using the desktop instead of just the Palm. Its a little cheaper for the programs if you just buy the Palm program, but may go for the whole deal if I can get the demo's to run on Linux.

Kay

Old 06-19-03, 04:50 AM
Being nosey here, what does your husband do that he's crawling in the ceilings? I'm a building engineer "glorified maintenance man" and find myself in some very precarious positions also.

My 10 year old son is the gaming junkie of our house "PS1,PS2,N64,Sega,Gameboy SP, Gamegear, and finally computor" He donated the PS1 to his little sister and is hooking her now. Alot of people bash you if your kid plays indoors alot but in my neighborhood he's better off and he's not turning into a thug. He even wears his pants around his waste:} I do keep him intrested in little league to get him out 3 or 4 times a week and he has a couple friends he goes to thier house and plays. We're supposed to close on a house Tuesday in a much nicer area. Hope nothing snags that. Now I'm rambling.

Old 06-19-03, 09:27 AM
Good luck on your house Mattison! We moved from Memphis to Southaven almost 2 years ago. We still have a few run ins with the kids around here, but that's more the redneck thing, not gangs, and drive-bys.

The kids, including hubby, don't stay on the playstations that long. At night they might play since they can't be outside after dark unless and adult is out there. Mosquitoes are bad here, so they're wanting in anyway. We also have a lot of rain here with lightening so inside we go again. I was afraid that cable tv, and games would make them lazy. Not a chance. They've got too much to do. I just gave my 10yo and old PPC (pocket pc - very low line) and he's using it now. So funny. He's usually our gaming junkie too. Maybe its just the electronics part of it. He likes playing around old cellphones, walkie talkies, etc. Electronics boy there LOL.

My husband installs data/voice cabling. Right now they're working at UT (University of Tenn - medical in Memphis). They hate that place. They do their best to not fall through the ceilings when over the morgue. Its gross and nightmare invoking enough to walk past it, but to fall into it!!!! No way. Hospitals are designed, as you probably know, with what I call a mini-floor in between each main floor. This is where all the plumbing, telephone wiring, data wiring etc runs through out of the way. It also seems that they want stuff moved constantly. Then of course, in businesses' the wiring is run through the ceiling which is the hanging ceiling tiles. Its rare they can even get up inside there, but some places do have 'rafters' run the length and width for support for hanging equipment. One mistep, and your through a ceiling.

Kay

Ps. Its been a very long time since he's fallen through a ceiling. It usually happens when they are stressed out, overly tired, etc. Mike has gotten where he calls me if he's stressing to vent, and also gets plenty of rest so he's more alert. I'd like to keep my man around for awhile, and him also enjoy quality of life too.

K.

Old 06-19-03, 10:50 AM
i gave my ps1 to my girls. ive got some cool games for them, but we too limit their time on them. they play sesame st. sports, dragon tales dragon seek, scooby doo, and crash team racing. Cat has a rule on weekends, no tv, puter, or ps1 till after lunch. before that it is imagination time, crafts, play doh, play outside, leap pad, anything creative. they seem to not miss it!!!

Kay, i know what you mean about being tired and stressin. weve been doing overtime every nite, and been working saturdays...thats why saturday nite to sunday is dedicated to the wife and kids. (maybe i can sneak a peek at the race sunday afternoon! )

Old 06-19-03, 10:58 AM
fatkid,

Speaking of the races, how's the Father's Day present working out. Never knew there was such a thing. Guess I need to get out more!

Kay

Old 06-19-03, 11:06 AM
which present was that, the racing scanner?

Old 06-19-03, 11:29 AM
Yep, that was the one I was speaking of. How does that work? Kid's said that it picks up the races so you can hear the drivers? Just curious. Am such a mother that races scare me. Am scared someone's going to get hurt LOL. {Kay says with glasses on end of nose}..."Those boys need to slow down before they hurt someone else or themselves" {hehehehe.}

Kay

Old 06-19-03, 12:40 PM
its pretty cool, you can hear the driver, spotter, and crew chief talk during the race. they talk mainly stragety, how the cars running, and stuff like that. it adds a whole new dimension to the race !!!

i havent gone to get it yet, im shopping around...the next race i go to isn't till sept, so ive got some time. you can also use them to scan local police and fire freqs. keeps you informed on the town and the neighbors.(for those nosy types...guilty !)

you guys find drakan yet?? it shoul be pretty reasonable cause its been out a while. it takes me so long to finish games i like to wait till the prices drop a little.

Old 06-19-03, 01:42 PM
We picked up Drakan this weekend while the kids were gone. Mike's still working on FF-X right now so we haven't had a chance to play it. I saw Clock Tower 3. I didn't get it since I didn't know if I should play the first 2, or are they so different that I can just jump into any of them.

I haven't had a whole lot of time to play lately since the kids have been home, plus I got the PDA so that 's my major toy today. #1 kid fixed the plumbing under the sink so that's not a problem, but the a/c apparently isn't clean enough. It will kick tail for about 3-4 hours then freezes up. The first cleaner I used worked great for how well I could squirt it in there with just a regular bottle spray. The 409 worked okay with the actual sprayer, but I think if I put the organic cleaner in the big sprayer this time it will work great. I can't actually see the coils well enough to see what I'm doing. Oh well, another adventure hehehe. A hot one at that.

Kay

Old 06-19-03, 02:36 PM
Super Moderator
Kay, your last post looks like a H&C problem to me.

If you have an A coil and the air flows through the bottom side first, the dirt will be hidden from view.
You will have to open up the ductwork and take the sidecover off the coil.
If you carefully run a brush in the same direction as the fins, most of the dirt will come off.

Old 06-19-03, 02:54 PM
Greg,

I think what I need to do is take a snapshot of what I'm dealing with and let you guys lead me on this one. I'm trying hard to do this since the last 2 a/c guys told me that I would have to remove the entire unit out of the closet to access the coils. I'm hoping that this isn't true. If so, then there will have to be some remodeling done to the house because this isn't a once in a lifetime, have to do deal.

It was my understanding that filter changes were to be done monthly and coil cleaning should be done once a year.

I'll see if I can't take some decent pics to post on my website so every can take a look and give some input. I'd really like this to not be a problem in the future.

Also: did discover that instead of me trying to write down all the info off those white squares on the equipment, my digital camera does take some nice shots of them and the numbers are readable! All the info is there, even what I wouldn't think of writing down.

Kay

Old 06-23-03, 12:38 PM
Okay, I used the ultimate DIY tool today. I called a HVAC pro to come look at my a/c. Now its freezing up outside. Oh well, such a relief to know that help is on the way.

Just too hot to think right now or learn any new tricks. Its hotter in our house than outside. Over the summer I'm going to start planning for next year. Cross flow of air is an issue in this house so that is something to work on. Maybe a couple of those smaller window fans to help aid in it. Also, I'm thinking that maybe some of those whirly things? for the roof to ease the heat up there. I've heard people install those things themselves, but I'm always concerned with the roof leaking so I would prefer a pro to do it - not to mention that I'm a little unsteady on a roof.

Guess that's it. Maybe now I can focus on getting the house cleaned back up (hard to clean when you're dripping wet LOL). I felt so sorry for the guys when they mowed the lawn. No relief from the heat here. Just move from one hot humid area into another. The humidity here is what is so bad. A dehumidifier might not be such a bad idea for here either.

Kay