Dreams? Bad ones...

Old 07-02-03, 12:51 AM
Dreams? Bad ones...

I'm trying to figure this out. Okay, so I know everyone has a bad dream every once in awhile. Sometimes they seem pretty real and you wake up sweating, or tense. Then you realize its all good and go back to sleep.

For the past two nights I've had some really strange ones. When I hear them come out of my mouth, they sound so stupid, but while dreaming them emotions are high, fear and panic very real. Weirder yet, its 2:30 a.m. and yes I'm up because of this second dream. I walk into the bedroom to get something and my DH (dear husband) is awake. He's just had one too. In his he wrecked the car by driving up one of those parking garage circular deals but its August and he hits a patch of ice. He comes back down that thing, flipping and crashing up the car and our car ends up inside a Mercedes Benz. Then he's at work and catches a building on fire. Someone confronts him with it and he beats the guy to a pulp (my husband is not a fighter or bully-very nice and is too much of a doormat for my tastes at times). Then he ends up in the office getting written up and sent home. He's on his way home to tell me that he's probably lost his job when he woke up.

Mine deals with dogs and cats. In this last one I somehow manage to avoid getting hit by every car in the world (I'm not in the street but waiting to cross it?) and eventually someone I know runs over my foot with MY car. I was trying to get the kittens back to our house since our daughter had brought them over to my SIL's house while we were there. The first one (night before) was about dogs getting the kittens because the kids let them outside to play, one was killed, the other injured very badly and I couldn't get it to the vet. The person that brought me the dead and injured cat 'felt' like a neighbor, but they wouldn't leave so I tried to beat them up? Then the dogs came in the wall, which was kind of like a window/wall. I was scrambling to get the kittens and my kids out of this room so we could close the door and leave the dogs in the room but my mom wouldn't help me fast enough. I woke at that point, thank goodness!

The emotions in these two dreams were so intense that even at 41 years of age, it took me awhile to calm myself down and realize that I was at home in bed. I was breathing so hard that you would have thought I'd just run a marathon.

I know that there are two things in my dreams that connect to problems that I'm having but the problems aren't major, just need to be dealt with at some point because they're annoying. Dogs (neighbor's) invading my space, and me having too many kittens and worrying about are they going to have good homes or not.

If you've read my post "venting" then you know that I've been stressing out over a bunch a stuff. Some important, others just gripes. Is this residual stuff surfacing now that things are going better? I mean, my a/c is working great, my computer is functioning like its suppose once again, etc. Lots of good news this week. My son is doing great at work, got his engine fixed, my SIL finally got a child support check from her ex after 3 years, she just got a car (which is REALLY exciting news), Mike (my DH) has been getting steady hours, plus a little OT...

These two dreams have been so intense that once I wake up, I can't go back to sleep. When I finally can go back to sleep around 5 or 6 in the morning, I don't dream at all and sleep well.

Really odd. I'm not trying to read anything into the dreams, just don't understand why I am having such emotionally intense dreams all the sudden. I don't dream much that I remember, and rarely like this.

Kay

Sponsored Links
Old 07-02-03, 02:45 PM
im no dr. so all i can give you is my opinion!! (for what its worth)!

seems like you are on the right track in dealing with the problems that you can. BTW congrats on fixing the AC, truly amazing!!! it seems to me you try to suppress the worries during the day and only vent here. your mind seems to need time to deal w/ these problems big deal or no, and it just so happens to be when you are sleeping. i was always told that these dreams represent problems that need to be faced. if you try to stuff them off, the your subconscious will deal w/ them when it can. remember, one thing at a time, dont sweat the small stuff. big stuff is usually associated w/ the terms innoperable and indictment, everything else is small stuff!!!

Hang in there!!

Old 07-02-03, 03:06 PM
I'm sure you're right. I worry about driving because I don't want to hurt my car, and I don't loan my car out since no one that would borrow it could replace it either. Heck, I don't borrow other people's cars for the same reason.

The fence deal and dogs really bug me, although its part of the little stuff.

The a/c deal reminded Mike of how tightly we live financially. It was a wake up call. Thankfully, it didn't end up costing us the money we thought, but what if... Now I'm working on the budget with a different attitude. This 'near death' experience has put a different motivating into saving money for things like this PLUS the fact that we are constantly aware of his company struggling to stay afloat in these times.

This is the first time that Mike has ever owned a home. We worry that something could happen and us lose it. This is the first decent vehicle we've purchased so we are concerned with keeping it up. Its a lot of pressure and we're not adapting well.

Maybe if I keep dumping this stuff here, I will get it out of my brain so I can sleep. I believe what you said about issues coming up in sleep since I've also found that some answers to problems come in my sleep, too.

I've been using this program called GtD. Not a computer program, but a way of organizing. Took is as a free course online. Its an anacronyn for Getting Things Done. It has been amazing and helped me so much. Simple things like filing my papers in a simple A-Z listing has done wonders for reducing stress when trying to locate papers. I also purchased a cheap labeler so I can just print one out, and slap it on the folder. I followed their advice on keeping folders handy, too. My desk is actually a desk now and not one huge in-box. I am actually learning how to use a calendar. I have to be (sincerely) calendar challenged! My to-do list is manageable today.

Flylady has helped me to develop routines again as far as housework, but it gets on my nerves at times. Her constantly urging us to de-clutter is good, but when I changed insurance companies I 'fling-boogied' the old insurance agent's name and number. I need it today. Go figure. Hence: the palm. I am learning how to use it, and even if the information doesn't live forever on the Palm, it is backed up on my computer, which gets backed up on disk. I've never really been able to use the computer to organize myself since I get distracted by DIY () and emails coming in.

Oh, what you said about dumping my thoughts - David Allen (gtd) calls it Mind Dumping. Getting things out of your brain so you can do one thing, and know what you're not doing and why. I still haven't achieved 'mind like water' since little things cause tidal waves instead of minor ripples in my mental pond.

Will Mind Dump tonight here or on paper before going to bed tonight and see if that resolves some of the nightmares. Hopefully one day soon I will go to bed at night and sleep instead of just taking a 'nap' with nightmares. I end up staying up until daylight and then falling asleep around 5 or 6, then not getting up til noon. Not a good way to function when the rest of the world is moving on another schedule!

Kay

Old 07-02-03, 03:29 PM
harleyboy
Visiting Guest
Hey Kay,
Don't you hate those nightmares? I never dream of monsters or ugly stuff, just everything in my life going crazy. And that is 'when' I can sleep. The past several months have been crazy as far as sleep goes, or I should say the lack of it. I go to bed, go to sleep and bam...like clockwork, an hour or so later I'm wide awake. I've even gone 2 or 3 days without sleeping at all. The other evening I stayed up all night organizing my kitchen cabinets. Now, I realize that they needed it but not an all night task. And on those wonderful nights when I manage to sleep past the dreaded hour, I awake from some weird dream...this morning it was the house falling over the hill and landing on my neighbor and my insurance guy telling me that I didn't really own it so I couldn't collect from the morons who were undermining my land by putting in a strip mall?????? Yes, I live on a hill. And yes, when the monsoon rains of this spring seemed to be washing everything away, I might have considered the fact that I'm on a hill and it would take a lot of rain to move this place but there's no mall around here and how does that translate into the weird dream? Go figure. I am a few years older than you and now have both kids married and gone, quit my job and kinda been hangin out 'resting' so the stress level is considerably less than yours. I agree with fatkid, perhaps a good gripe session is in order to clear your head...you've nothing to loose except pacing the floors all night. Go ahead.......type your fingers off!

Old 07-02-03, 03:39 PM
Thanks for posting! Its so odd to not be able to sleep because of dreams.

Maybe me typing away will help ease that up so I can sleep. I don't have a specific time when the dreams occur, but usually I wake about 2 hours after going to sleep. Never happens during the daylight hours, well, can't say that either. Have laid down in the afternoon and it happen. I wake up more tired than when I went to bed!

Kay

Old 07-02-03, 08:03 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
You know what is REALLY weird??

I had a dream last night that a 41 year old woman ran me over in a smashed up car with snow tires on it... Apparently she was upset that I had busted up the undercarriage of her vehicle... So she got out and started beating the crap out of me... She had a guy in the car with her yelling something about my causing him to lose his job... He was still in the car petting a kitten in his lap... The odd thing about the lady is that she had a black eye and one of her feet was smashed flat....

Hmm... this IS indeed getting odd....

Old 07-02-03, 09:08 PM
Hmm... this IS indeed getting odd....
Indeed, it is

You are such a nut!

Kay

Old 07-02-03, 11:20 PM
tae
sounds to me like everything is going great and you are just waiting for the other shoe to fall. lighten up and ENJOY the good things while you can, cause the bad will always come around. Sometimes we have so much stress for so long that anything else seems weird. Good, bad, or in between, go with the flow. In meditation, there is a trick of letting go of problems.
1. close your eyes and imagine that you are writing down all the stuff that bothers you on a piece of paper. Then let that paper go and see it burned up by the sun.
2. Actually write all the problems on a piece of paper, and then crumple it up, and burn it.
Either way, realize that as the smoke and ashes float away, so does your problems.

Old 07-02-03, 11:35 PM
That may be it tae, out of my 'comfort zone' so to speak. Am used to the stress of things, and when its calm I am out of my usual 'zone'.

Kay

Old 07-04-03, 12:19 AM
Update:

Slept great last night. Not sure if it was the fact it was 2 a.m. when I went to bed, that I 'vented' a little here first, or that not only did I mentally write down things on my mind and mentally burn the paper - well, I thought I was through when I 'burned' it but wasn't. So...I fell asleep with a smile on my face because just as fast as those thoughts popped in my head of what I needed to do I was throwing those thoughts into the air and shooting them with my handy dandy mental flame thrower. Not time for 'pen and paper' just tossing that thoughts in the air and blasting them like they were clay pigeons.

No bad dreams, just sleep. Actually got up before 9 this morning, which is a tremendous improvement. Of course, its 2 a.m. and I'm sitting her typing LOL.

Need to scoot on to bed. My son has invited me over for a cookout tomorrow afternoon. I'm sure he'd like me to show up before supper time I would too since all the eats will be gone by then.

Kay

Old 07-04-03, 01:44 AM
Quick
Visiting Guest
For the next time you have one and can't sleep. (-:

http://www.dreammoods.com/

Old 07-04-03, 01:45 AM
Ashley
Visiting Guest
I'm so glad to hear you are sleeping better Kay!!! Hope it stays that way

Old 07-04-03, 12:20 PM
That was a bust! Had another dream again. This one pretty much the same, just a different place. Dogs trying to get my cats and no one really helping me. I've noticed that in all the dreams - no one is helping me with the cats. The dreams are less intense, but I was aware of it in this last dream. Seems all this stuff is going on and I have to tell someone to do this, that or the other even though its obvious.

The dream site was temporarily down so I'll try that link again later.

I know I'm worried about the kittens having a good home. The dogs next door haven't gotten out in awhile so that isn't something current, but yes, weighs on my mind a little. It seems that now that my daughter has a job, which is playing with their dogs, they seem content in their own backyard. Hope it lasts! She's making a litle money and my yard isn't getting chewed up.

Okay, dreams aside, my computer is making a really loud noise so I need to finish reading emails, and taking care of online stuff so I can shut it down and take a look at it.

Have a great 4th everyone!

Kay

Old 07-05-03, 11:01 PM
From the dreamsite:

Dog
To see a dog in your dream, indicate a skill that you have ignored or forgotten, but needs to be activated. Alternatively, dogs may symbolize intuition, loyalty, generosity, protection, and fidelity. Your own values and intentions will enable you to go forward in the world and succeed. If the dog is vicious and/or growling, then it signifies some inner conflict within yourself. It may indicate betrayal and untrustworthiness. Also consider common notions associated with the word dog, such as loyalty ("man's best friend") and to be "treated like a dog".

Cat
To see a cat in your dream, signifies much misfortune, treachery, and bad luck. However, for the cat lover, cats signifies an independent spirit, feminine sexuality, creativity, and power.

Car Accident
To dream of a car accident, symbolizes your emotional state. You may be harboring deep anxieties and fears. Are you "driving" yourself too hard? This dream may tell you to slow down before you hit disaster. You need to rethink or re-plan your course of actions and set yourself on a better path.

Scared
To dream that you are scared, indicates that you are experiencing self-doubt and feelings of incompetence. You may be feeling a lack of control. Anger often masquerades as fear, so also consider issues about which you are angry about in your waking life.
Hmmm. gives me a lot to think about.

Kay

Old 07-06-03, 06:01 PM
tae
and sometimes a dog is just a dog and a cat is just a cat.

Old 07-06-03, 06:41 PM
yeah, and a dream is just a dream.

I think its my diet. Too much sugar and not enough water.

I know I'm a girl, I know that I'm pretty hand around here, I know that I've got a lot going on - nothing dire at the moment, the kids are healthy, we're basically happy. Maybe just some residual dreaming of stress gone. My a/c deal was a huge stressor for me.

I'm still having the dreams, but they're not as emotionally intense. I dream while I sleep, then wake up, roll over, and go back to sleep. The only conflict (dog) that I can think of is choosing which room to start on next. I've chosen the kitchen cabinets as my next project. Now that I've started, well, I feel better because I chose one and started.

One the one hand, I'm easy to please. On the other, I stress out easily too. I think its the *perfectionist in me. I'm afraid of what I might run in to, what I didn't plan for, or it not turning out like I planned (scared).That's all okay. If it doesn't turn out right, then I fix or change it. I'm off to another forum to get some tips on staining cabinets. They are not turning out anything like I thought. Never done this before and would like to know if there's something I can do about it other than just repaint them.

Kay

*The perfectionist in me causes two problems (more but am listing these two). One, I don't start anything that I don't feel I can do perfectly. Two, I start something and feel that I should be able to do it so I don't ask for help when I am unable to do it (that child screaming 'I can do it').

K.

Old 07-06-03, 11:29 PM
Ashley
Visiting Guest
here is a dream for ya

It is 1:26 AM and i just woke up.. here is what i remember...

me and my friends missy and jay were out talking and he got a phone call and missy say hey ash can a friend crash at your house we will be right back... and mind you i have this huge three story ... i mean it has to be some type of mansion it has three kitchens and a 20 car garage... and i think it is kind of a circular type shape house....so i say yeah that is fine... well by the end of it there are like 20 or 30 people.. turns out there is some kind of supernatural type thing they are all here for.. convention or get together of somekind so we all meet down in the basement.... well they are hungry so i tell em we will go to the kitchen only we are going to the big servents kitchen since there are so many.... thenwe get to this staircase that cuts off about 6 feet from the floor... and i cant remember how to get the rest of the stairs there... finallly the very first guy ( a cute one) i think his name was god something or dr something i dunno...anyway he helps me figure it out... and we get to the middle of the house... i mean the very middle and its a giant living room.... and there are skull pillows and all that from my stoner type days and for some reason i call it the randy(my brother in law and very good friend) room.... and in this house there is a lil sections that is the allen and gary (friends i had in middle school) part and rod( my DH) has his part.... it is very wierd... andyway i have like a computer area and a room and my own kitchen.... but i only keep my stuff eat and sleep in the garage.... so anyway
there is me and 20-30 other ppl in this house trying to get to the kitchen i dunno if we ever did cuz after the living room ppl kept going back and forth thru doors they shouldnt getting trapped in the time space continuim thingie... and the moments were numbered... once me and this chick met up with a guy and another chick.... the other chick says to the guy and us.. "hey yall are in moment 22 too!!! man the locksmith is gonna be so mad... i called him he is on his way just sit here and dont move"... but they guy had gone thru so many moments in the time space thingie... he had lines missing... like he was on a tv sreen and lines were missing... the top third of his finger didnt match the middle of the finger... know what i mean?

anyway that is when i woke up... i know i was scared... and a little happy to have all of these people... like i could show them ghosts in my house.. and i know i have dreamed of this house before...

Old 07-06-03, 11:42 PM
Wow! To say the least! I'd like to hear some dream-scopes on that one!

You said you've dreamed of this house before? I dream occassionally of this 3 story house but I think its taller and I only make it to the third story to one particular room. Its huge, as you've mentioned yours being, but I think its just expansive not too terribly tall. Wonder why we dream of homes like that? The same home, even? I end up in different parts of the home, like you, trying to remember how I got there or trying to get back where I was, but always end up going to the third floor. There's a room that bothers me up there. I think its a supernatural deal too, but I wake before anything happens or I actually enter the room.

Man alive! You just had one really weird dream! I'm sitting here trying to visualize it. I can't begin to imagine the emotions going through you during it.

Kay

Old 07-08-03, 11:04 AM
Ashley
Visiting Guest
a friend of mine told me that the houses we dream of represent how we see our selves... since mine was SO wide and SO round.. maybe i need to diet!!!!
lmao

Old 07-08-03, 11:15 AM
I don't think that's it since I'm tall and skinny anyway but the house I dream of is huge. Then again, it looks small from the outside, but huge on the inside. Maybe there is just more to us than our small selves in relation to the huge houses?

Really wonder what the dreams are about, and why do these houses show up in our dreams? I know, with the exception of the one room in the house, I wish I lived there. I wake wondering if this house is somewhere out there and I need to purchase it? Gosh I'd need to be not just rich, but super rich! Plus I'd have to hire someone to 'cleanse' the one spooky room in the house.

Kay

Old 07-08-03, 11:33 AM
Ashley
Visiting Guest
Here is what i found out..

Dont know if it fits but i found it all here.

Carl Jung called all circular images a "mandala." It is one of the most important dream symbols that represent the psychic center of personality. It is symbolic of wholeness, completeness, and unity of the self.

To see a stranger in your dream, signifies a part of yourself that is repressed and hidden. Alternatively, it symbolizes the archetypal dream helper who is trying to offer some insight and advice.

To dream of a haunted house, signifies unfinished emotional business, related to your childhood family, dead relatives, or repressed memories and feelings.

To see an attic in your dream, represents hidden memories or repressed thoughts that is being revealed. It also symbolize your mind, spirituality, and your connection to the higher Self. Alternatively, it signifies difficulties in your life that will hinder you from attaining your goals and aspirations. However, in the end, after a long period of struggle, you will overcome them.

To see a cluttered attic, is a sign to organize your mind and thoughts

To dream that you are in a basement, symbolizes your unconscious mind and intuition. The appearance of the basement is an indication of your unconscious state of mind and level of satisfaction.

To dream that the basement is in disarray and messy, signifies some confusion in which you need to sort out. It may also represent your perceived faults and shortcomings.

To dream that you are in a garage, signifies a period of inactivity and idleness in your life. You may feel that you have no direction or guidance toward achieving your goals.

To see an appealing or comfortable room in your dream, signifies opulence and satisfaction in life.

To see a dark, eerie or confining room, denotes that that you feel trapped or repressed in a situation.

Dreams about various rooms often relate to hidden areas of the conscious mind and different aspects of your personality.

To dream that you are walking down a flight of stairs, suggests that you are going into your unconscious. It also refers to setbacks that you will experience in your life

To see a cat in your dream, signifies much misfortune, treachery, and bad luck. However, for the cat lover, cats signifies an independent spirit, feminine sexuality, creativity, and power. If the cat is aggressive, then it suggests that you are having problems with the feminine aspect of yourself.

To see a dog in your dream, indicate a skill that you have ignored or forgotten, but needs to be activated. Alternatively, dogs may symbolize intuition, loyalty, generosity, protection, and fidelity. Your own values and intentions will enable you to go forward in the world and succeed. If the dog is vicious and/or growling, then it signifies some inner conflict within yourself. It may indicate betrayal and untrustworthiness. If the dog is dead or dying, then it indicates a loss of a good friend. Alternatively, it represents a deterioration of your instincts.

To dream that you are driving a car, denotes your ambition, your drive and your ability to navigate from one stage of your life to another. Consider how smooth or rough the car ride is. Whether you are driving the car or a passenger, is indicative of of your active role or passive role in your life. If you are in the backseat of the car, then it indicates that you are putting yourself down and are allowing others to take over. This may be a result of low self-esteem or low self-confidence. Overall, this dream symbol is an indication of your dependence and degree of control you have on your life.
To dream that you are almost hit by a car, suggests that your lifestyle, beliefs or goals may be in conflict with another's. It may also be symbolic of a jolting experience or injured pride.
To dream that you nearly escape from the impact of an automobile, denotes that you will successfully overcome any rivalry.

Fear

To dream that you feel fear, signifies that you achievements will not be as successful as you had anticipated. You are having anxieties in certain circumstances of your life. However, your worries will be temporary and short-lived

Confusion

To dream that you are confused, may reflect your true confused state of mind and the nonsensical events of your dream. Isolate the single element in your dream that is confusing to you and analyze the meaning of that particular symbol. Alternatively, dreams of confusion signifies that you are being pulled in opposite directions or do not know which viewpoint is right

Anxiety

To dream that you are experiencing some anxiety in some affair, is a reflection of what you may be feeling during your waking life. You may have repressed thoughts, unexpressed emotions, resentment, and hostility that are triggering your anxiety dream. This dream also denotes that you are disastrous mixing business with pleasure

Afraid

To dream that you are afraid to continue on some situation, signifies trouble in the home and failure in business.

To see others afraid in your dream, signifies that some friend will be too wrapped up in his or her own problems then to help you out with some favor.

Old 07-08-03, 12:28 PM
I'm curious on the topics of the dogs and cats, it doesn't mention enough of the scenerio. I can see me in the dream like I'm watching a movie. How does that affect the meaning? I've had dreams where in the dream I'm seeing the dogs and/or other things from 'my' eyes, but don't see me. These current dreams have been like a movie: me watching me and all this going on.

I haven't had the dreams for two nights that I know of, or at least I haven't remembered what I've dreamed. Some things that I've done differently are:

starting on the cabinets in the kitchen instead of starting on the redeco of the master bedroom as planned; also emailed the request for the phone number of the lady who will help me with the kittens (I didn't receive the response email with numbers until the next day); I've called the lady and she cannot take the kittens BUT has made arrangements for me to have them all spayed/neutered at no cost (good start, may be easier to give away now).

Somehow I see the connection to all written above and easing up my stress related to these issues, but there has been a lot posted to absorb thoroughly.

We may become dream experts (hehe) trying to decifer our dreams!

Kay

Ps. Even if its 'bologna' or bolognie then its still fun and really helping me to take a closer look at what's going on in my life so I can handle the stressors and possibly make some positive changes in my lifestyle.

K.

Old 07-08-03, 12:40 PM
Ashley
Visiting Guest
I totally agree it is fun!! I can't wait to take my Psychology course this semester the brain behaviors and dreams are so interesting!

here is what it says about dreaming of movies and seeing yourself in your dreams

To dream that you are playing a role in the movie, foretells that something from your unconscious is about to emerge or be revealed. It may also represent memories of images or scenes from your past. Alternatively, the dream may be pointing you toward a new role that you might be undertaking. Your unconscious is psychologically preparing you for this new role.

Yourself

To see yourself in your dream, is a reflection of how you act and behave in your waking life.

Old 07-08-03, 12:49 PM
Yourself

To see yourself in your dream, is a reflection of how you act and behave in your waking life.
OMG!! I'm paranoid and overprotective!

Very true.

Kay

Old 08-04-03, 10:46 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Whenever I have a nightmare, I go outside and smoke a cigarette. That calms me down enough to go back to sleep

Old 08-05-03, 07:03 AM
Maybe going outside would help. Usually, I come in here and sit at the computer after a nightmare. I pour a cup of coffee, light a cig, and then surf the forums or just the web.

Kay

Ps. Lately the nightmares have stopped, at least I don't remember my dreams of late. A lot of worries and concerns have actually surfaced so now that they're actual problems 'in our faces' we can begin to handle them.

K.

Old 08-07-03, 07:30 AM
kaybyrd;
It's nice to know that I'm not the only one with really weird dreams. IIRC in college psycology classes one of the theories of dreams is that they are the "wastebasket" of our minds/unconscious. I tend to look at it that way, any frustrations I didn't rid myself of during the day, out they go in the 2:00 AM trash dump.

My biggest problem is I occassionally have dreams that are really starting to scare me, generally something in the dream is endangering family members, but I realize they are dreams and start yelling to wake myself up. Very frightening to my wife but after 25 years she's kind of used to it. However, 3 times in the past threee years it's happened when I was sharing a condo room (on a ski club trip) with someone I knew only casually. Kind of embarrassing, one roommate was so freaked out they couldn't go back to sleep, I went to the den and crashed on the sofa for the rest of the night.

Once I dreamt I was dribbling a basketball, my wife woke me up yelling because I was "dribbling" her head against the pillow. We still laugh about that one, kind of laugh anyway.

frank

Old 08-07-03, 07:42 AM
It is so strange that some dreams I have should be scary, but the emotion isn't there. Then others that shouldn't be scary, well the emotion is high and I wake up scared.

Once I dreamed I was running from my ex husband, and I had my kids in tow. I wasn't afraid of him, just avoiding him. The odd part was that we were running through Jurassic Park during all of this and I was more concerned with getting away from my husband but avoiding the dinosaurs seemed to come naturally? Talk about strange!

I know I'm dreaming now when I sleep, but can't for the life of me remember what it was about when I wake up. No sweats, no being out of breath so I'm assuming they are normal, uneventful mind-dumps.

Kay

Old 08-07-03, 09:24 AM
Ashley
Visiting Guest
You guys I had no idea how much this influenced my daily life.. but I finally got my books for this semester and i automatically looked up dreams in my Psyc. book

What it says about why you dont remember your dreams (im summing up here also guys lol) Hobson in 1995 estimated that we forget 95% of our dreams. There are several theories about why we dont remember here are a couple.... the fundamental changes in the brain chemistry and functioning that occur during sleep fail to support information processing and storage... mainly the frontal lobes because they are involved in the formation of new memories. PET scans of the brain during REM sleep show the frontal lobes to be inactive (Braun & others 1998). Also research has also shown that the neurotransmitters needed to acquire new memories- including serotonin, norepinephrine, and dopamine- are greatly reduced during REM sleep (J.A. Hobson 1998; Siegel 2001). If you have a poor memory while you are awake you will have a poor memory recalling dreams. Recalling dreams is very similar to waking experences if they are vivid or destrubing they are easier to recall unlike mundane or routine experiences. Distractions on awakening interfere with our ability to recall dreams (Mary Calkins 1893).

Interesting (atleast to me) notes 1. "Sleep Thinking" is more prevalent than dreams... it takes place during NREM sleep and consists of vague, uncreative, bland and thoughtlike ruminations about real-life events. Such as review of terms before an important exam. 2. We spend about 2 hours or 25% of a nights sleep dreaming if you live to a ripe old age that means more than 50,000 hours or about 6 yrs dreaming

Old 08-07-03, 09:33 AM
If you have a poor memory while you are awake you will have a poor memory recalling dreams.
This is a very interesting statement. In several books that I've read on increasing memory, it recommends that you begin focusing on remembering your dreams. Even if that means training yourself by keeping notepad and paper by your bed and writing the dream(s) down before you fully waken.

Also, in some self-help books it also recommends doing the same in healing past hurts, etc. that you may not be aware of so you can 'work' through them since they may be evident in your current dream-scope of things.

Very interesting... indeed.

Kay

Old 08-07-03, 10:13 AM
Ashley
Visiting Guest
That sounds about right since they have proven that during REM sleep the parts of the brain that control emotion memory and visual images are the most active and with the absence of "meaningful stimuli from the outside world" emotions and stored memories are what dreams are made of

Old 08-07-03, 10:46 AM
This would stand to reason why some dreams should be scary, and aren't...yet in other simple dreams emotions run very high in that your are scared, sad, etc. Then you have those downright NIGHTMARES that are scary to see and feel.

Kay

Old 08-08-03, 03:55 PM
"I once dreamt I ate a giant marshmallow, when I woke up, my pillow was gone". Anonymous

"To sleep, perchance to dream" Shakespeare

"Your young men shall see visions, and your old men will dream dreams" Acts 2

See, these things have troubled mankind for a long time.

Frank

Old 08-11-03, 01:03 PM
Ashley
Visiting Guest
Had a very strange dream last night about lice bugs crawling all over my hubbys legs... and i wasnt sure if it was from him or a kid who came over and borrowed his comb then brushed his hair over my hubbys legs... i think im really worried about Bailey getting them from school again this yr.

Told my hubby about the dream them he told me about his strange dream ... he was applying for a job to be my personal assistant but i told him he didnt type fast enough... then i asked him how many words a min he could type he told me he didnt know so i gave him some dictation to find out... when i started the new paragraph he returned down the page and indented but i started yelling at him to put in the symbol for a new paragraph and he defended himself saying that there wasnt one on the keyboard so i told him to just draw one in .... he continues typeing and the power goes out... his brother comes over and me and his brother are in a bathroom off of the main room that he is in with the light on while he is still typing in the dark ...the power then came on in the room he was in and he said the paper in his dream had wrapped all around him became saran wrap and the keys had come off the type writer and they turned into roasted corn... i have NO idea what his means LOL

Old 08-11-03, 01:23 PM
Now I'll start dreaming about the lice. Yuk. I sure hope the kids don't get it again this year too. It doesn't do me much good to try to get rid of them when no one else does that too. Just treating the kids' heads doesn't work.

We didn't have them last year, so maybe we'll have another good luck streak this year. As the kids have gotten older, they understand me better when I say no to certain children spending the night. Well, they don't understand since I don't allow other children to spend the night. I rarely let them spend the night with other children, too. With a family of 5, its expensive to treat the house and family!

Kay

Old 08-11-03, 07:15 PM
Ashley
Visiting Guest
My 7 yr old got it so many times last year and the cost got so high i finally just shaved her head... she was upset but i have not had to worry about lice since then .....and it sent the message that mom would do just about anything if she got lice so she makes sure to remember the "rules" no sharing anything that touches her head and not to let her head near any other head... ick i itch just thinking bout it

Old 08-11-03, 07:36 PM
I guess that's why Ian never got them. His head is always buzzed. This year it isn't so I am hoping that he remembers no wearing other people's hats, coats, shirts, etc. Also, during the cooler months its important for your child to put their coat/sweater in their backpack, not hang it up.

We had them so many times one year that I did have to cut my girls' hair shorter so I could comb it through after treatments, and during daily checks.

If your daughter's hair is long enough to pull up in a pony tail, do it. Then spray the nape of the hair and slightly around the face with hairspray. Not a lot, but it will help since lice don't like hairspray. Also, if headlice are a problem at school, spray her hair with a mixture of vinegar and water about 10 minutes before washing it. Then wash her hair, and comb it thoroughly. A lot of time the reason kids get headlice "all of the sudden - and really bad" is because they end up with one headlice that lays a bunch of eggs. The vinegar will continue to work on the glue of the eggs, they will not be able to hang on to the hair and therefore wash away or comb away. No eggs, means no lice infestation.

Not sure-fire ways, but really helped to cut down on them the last time we had them. Years before that I thought lice was just going to be a fact of life in our home. You can only treat your child so many times before you start making them sick. Physically sick from all the chemicals.

And, yes, as I type this I keep scratching my head! Just the thought of them.

Kay

Old 08-12-03, 11:22 AM
Ashley
Visiting Guest
they also sell something at Wal-Mart called Lice Guard... according to the bottle it will keep your child from getting head lice and if the do get it then it decreases the amount of eggs and bugs... i dont know if it works but im getting it for my daughter as part of her school stuff LOL (hope this wasnt concidered an ad)

Old 08-12-03, 12:16 PM
advertising? I don't think so. You're not making money off Lice Guard are you?

Kay