Got some new toys!

Old 07-07-03, 06:22 AM
Got some new toys!

New tools! Power tools even!

Got me a palm sander this weekend. My poor cabinets are the target! I got one door sanded and one drawer face. That's neat! I was wondering how I was going to get into that rabbit cut and my DH (dear husband) mentioned that dremmel made a tool that might work. That's neat too. My 19yo son gave me his dremmel tool. No bits, just the tool. I head off to the store to find this one bit for it, and found a box full of stuff for it. Now, I'm dangerous!

Honest to goodness there is this cutting disk that I think should be outlawed. Well, maybe not included in my box of stuff anyway. Just makes as much sense for me to have as a nail gun for my air compressor - oooow, that's a nightmare thought. There's some more cool stuff in there that I don't even know what's its for but I'm sure I'll find a use for it. There's some grinding stones so those will come in handy when I sharpen the lawnmower blade.

I have learned a couple of things this weekend. If you don't like the stain on the cabinet, don't put a different color over it. It will look worse. I purchased a small jar of stain to see what color I would like the finished cabinets to be. The first one I hated. No matter what I did, parts of it looked dirty. So, I go back to the store (this is when I scored the dremmel stuff!) and got a different color. Hey, I love this one. Tried it on the back of the door instead of the drawer front like I did the other color. Okay, that's fine. All is well. Nope, I had to see what the drawer front would look like with the second color over it. Now I have to figure out how to get it off the drawer front. Either that, or I'll just have one really dark drawer front for a conversation piece.

Second thing I learned this weekend is that cats, especially kittens, do not like the sound of a dremmel tool. My kitchen is in the very center of the house and the kittens were NOT in the kitchen. I guess they thought whatever that was making the noise was in the room where they were, so of course they bail from all points straight into the kitchen. Some are trying to get up in the cabinet (with no door), others behind the washer, etc. Of course, that didn't stop the noise so they took off back to 'wence' they came. Best part: took them all of about 5 seconds to scramble and descramble. I didn't know they could move that fast!

Third thing I learned, but already knew is to wear eye protection. This was reinforced when I didn't think about having the dremmel spinning away from me when I was testing the sander tool out. A junk of paint came flying off and smacked me in the leg. Felt like a bb, and left a small bruise. Maybe the lesson is: where long pants, too?

Oh, I also got a package of the drill bit deals that actually will cut like a jig saw (I guess). Maybe its more of a rotary cutter type deal. Boy I'm really techinical with these tool names huh! Mike (DH) mentioned the other day that it would neat if we had something like that for the drill while we were trying to cut out the circle from the recessed light in the kitchen. We struggled with a jig saw up there, and part of it had to be drilled out since we couldn't reach it with the skill saw. Darn. I bought these things after the fact so now I can't test them out.

I'm thinking this dremmel tool might start coming in handy. I never realized what all you can do with one. You can sand, saw, drill, use it as a router, polish stuff...cut heads of nails off? (that one I'll probably avoid - ER comes to mind to vividly!). Don't recommend using it as a screw driver though. Probably have the same effect as my impact drill - didn't work well when I tried to drive a screw in. Not only stripped out the head of the screw, but ripped the head of it off as well. Just a little too much power and speed there, and I didn't know how to control it .

Its not raining today so I'm going to take my dremmel tool outside and work on the cabinet doors and also figure out how to get most of the stain off the drawer front without sanding too far down.

Have a handy day DIY-ers!

kay

Sponsored Links
Old 07-07-03, 07:08 AM
i love my dremel!!!! just be careful, even w/ the tool rotating away from you stuff will fly!!! safety first. a pair of safety glasses or goggles are cheap. new eyes, $$$$$$$!!

Old 07-07-03, 07:26 AM
I do wear my safety goggles. Like my eyes too much.

I like the way that tool gets up in the crevices of the cabinet door, however, they don't last long (attachment). May have to purchase more before the days out since this is really helping out!

Hate trying to do the doors one at a time, but I'm afraid if I take all the doors down then something will come up and I won't be able to finish soon. Figured I would do one section of cabinets at a time. There aren't continuous sections so I don't have to worry about the stain overlapping.

Kay

Old 07-07-03, 11:08 PM
Cool! I love getting a new power tool too! I haven't gotten one since my plunge router (Christmas present) and have thought about getting a Dremel. It's time for a new toy!!! My hubby gets this look on his face when I hand him the safety glasses even when he is just drilling holes overhead to pull wire, but he puts them on anyway. I do this since I have had eight surgeries on my left eye from using a screwdriver to remove a nail, without wearing glasses. Definately the hard way to learn two lessons. 1- Always wear safety equipment, and 2- Always use the correct tool for the job! Keep us posted on how your new tool is working out, I need a good reason to go out and get it!!

Old 07-08-03, 09:49 AM
I'm wanting to get the router attachment for it too. I haven't had a real chance to test it out. I did some detail sanding with it, and that was nice! Goes through the sanding attachment quickly, but that may have been from not knowing exactly how to use it. I have a heavy hand, and that isn't always necessary. The second attachment lasted a lot longer. It did work well on the softer trim piece that I tried it on. Didn't damage the detail in it. That is nice to know.

Kay

Old 07-08-03, 12:42 PM
ive also noticed that heavy hand and dremel dont go together too well. was cutting some duct work a year ago, and the small cut off wheel broke, flew off and hit me right in the safety glasses. good thing i was wearing them, dont think i'd look good w/ an eyepatch.

Old 07-08-03, 12:52 PM
Jeez, speaking of eye protection. Idiot husband, yes love him dearly but at times he amazes me!, was shooting bottle rockets out of his hand. Yes, out of his hand. I wasn't there or he would have NOT been doing that. It blew up very close to his hand, and hit his eye. Thank goodness that he closed his eye, but it looks like a rock or something pelted him right below it and above it. He tells everyone I got mad and hit him but he still hasn't heard the end of this 'stupidity' stunt.

Kay

Old 07-08-03, 12:59 PM
just goes to show ya, fri. my cousin was shooting these industrial strength bott. rockets, and as he was ready to shoot the first one we all asked and were assured that it was aimed away from us all. well dont you know this thing took a hard left turn and hit this tree above the patio we were all sitting at. it blew up right over Cat's head!!!!! She was OK, no one was hurt except the fact that she started laughing uncontrollably, which got us all going and well we all ended up laughing it off, but it coulda been disasterous!!!!

Old 07-09-03, 09:36 PM
tae
dremmel's are awesome, but are dangerous. They spin so fast that when parts fly apart, they really go! Alot of the dremmel bits will wear fast. Thats just their nature. try to get dremmel brand when you can.Also, with the grinding stones, don't try to do to much to fast, as when they heat up, the glue that holds them to the shaft can melt. They make a router attachment, and a drill press attachment too. I was gonna get the router attachment, but instaed bought a 2 hp plunge router on ebay around $25.00 shipped. I have used the heck out of it, and still going strong. For smaller jobs, they make a "wood trimmer" or carpenter trimmer(small router) that can be had cheap at auction.

Old 07-09-03, 09:52 PM
Thanks for the info on the heat/glue deal. I'm usually careful just because I'm, well, chicken of most things LOL. One of my biggest fears is anything that screws to hold something else in place might just come loose! Happens on my drill sometimes when I don't get it tight enough. The worst scenerio was when I didn't get the hold down tight enough on the tire balancer in school. That was fun! Might be spring loaded, and/or could end up being jet-propelled where my instructors two favorite warnings.

Kay

Old 07-10-03, 11:48 AM
Elly Miller
Visiting Guest
Dremel Fan

I also love my Dremel! I have had mine for about four months and used it on lots of projects. I have used the cutting wheel to remove the middle section of a couple of cabinet doors so I could insert a glass panel. ( I have had a cutting wheel split on me also, very scary.) I also used the Dremel when I installed a floating hardwood floor. It was easy to cut off the old finish nails from the back of the baseboards. The grout removal attachment is great! And I used one of the drills when I cut out the drywall holes for recessed lighting (actually, I thought the drywall saw created less dust, so I finished the job with the saw). Since I don't have a lot of power tools (yet) it is nice to have one like the Dremel that is so versatile. But eye protection is a must!

Old 07-10-03, 12:38 PM
Elly,

I'm getting more and more excited about having bought these attachments. I like hearing what they're for and people using them. Grout removal attachment? I didn't see that one, or maybe I got one and didn't know what it was for. I still have the sheet that tells what things are, but haven't had the chance to play with anything since this problem:

#1 son 'needed' to borrow it. Its gone . Wonder if I'll ever see it again? Yes, This is the same child that gave it to me - without attachments LOL.

Kay

Kay

Old 07-10-03, 12:48 PM
Elly Miller
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up Dremel Info.

Kay, The company website (Dremel.com) has some useful project information and they sponsor a forum for users and a newsletter. I just wish I could find a book that would explain how all the attachments can be used; one that is more informative than the instruction book that accompanies the product. It certainly is a handy little device!

Old 07-10-03, 01:06 PM
Thanks! I'll check out the website.

Kay

Old 07-11-03, 09:44 PM
My son brought back the dremmel!

I got to use the cut off tool today. Scared me. Sparks flying everywhere. Like the 4th of July!

I see what you all mean about that stuff flying apart. One of the wheels broke apart one the first screw, but with a lighter touch the second one lasted through the other 10. We were helping a friend fix their gate that was held together with nails and our screws were either too long or too short. We used the longer ones and cut them flush. Now she can use her gate to get in and out of the backyard instead of having to go through the house.

The problem was the dog had chewed the boards off the gate (yes, this is the same dog that digs into my yard under the fence). We replaced one of the fence boards for the gate, attached two clasps (so the door wouldn't give at the bottom or top, and put chicken wire around the bottom so Bear won't chew it. This will also help out my daughter since she has been hired as the dog walker. Since Meagan has been walking the dogs daily and playing with them Bear hasn't been trying to dig out of the backyard anymore. This will buy us some time (I hope) until we can figure the fence deal out. We're wanting to take the chicken wire and put it along the fence line, but I'm not sure how we can secure it to the fence and the ground without him pulling it up. Once I get that figured out, we'll start on that project. She mentioned today that she wished our yard didn't get so messed up from her dog and if I could figure something out to let her know.

Kay

Old 07-15-03, 10:25 AM
Elly Miller
Visiting Guest
Return of Dremmel

Kay, Glad you got your Dremmel back! I used to think that the edge of a cutting wheel would get dull after a while and need to be replaced (if it didn't split apart!). But I later learned that you just keep on using a cutting wheel until it has disintegrated down to the core. Those sparks are a little scary, feels like I should be wearing a welder's mask. But I have had some of the sparks hit me on the arm and it was not painful and no damage was done. I always watch though to make sure a spark does not land on something flammable and start a fire. Elly

Old 07-15-03, 10:32 AM
Elly Miller
Visiting Guest
Chicken Wire

Kay: Just read the rest of your posting more completely. I had the same problem with a wonderful Airedale Terrier that liked to dig his way out of the fenced yard. I nailed up chicken wire, leaving a few inches on the ground on the inside of the fence. The dog will not want to dig through the chicken wire. He will get his claws caught in it and stop digging in that spot. It worked for me. Just leave enough chicken wire on the ground for him to get his claws into. Elly

Old 07-15-03, 11:12 AM
Elly,

How do you keep the chicken wire on the ground? Bear has this deal where he pulls things outward (like the old gate to chew on it) and the same with the fence that's currently up. He pulls it out so he can dig. What can I use to keep the wire that's on the ground 'staked' down until the ground starts to cover it some and keep it there? I'm afraid if we don't stake it down somehow he will try to go under it.

With the Catahoulas in the kennel, I put it where half the wire height was on the kennel wall, and the other half on the ground. We used tent stakes to hold it down. However, tent stakes are expensive and now they're down in the ground and we can't find them!!!!! The wire stayed, even after the dogs were gone, but the stakes are no where to be found. Now I have 3 stakeless tents hehehe.

Old 07-15-03, 01:01 PM
Elly Miller
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up Digging out

This happened many years ago, but I do not remember attaching the chicken wire to the ground, only to the fence. The fact that it was laying on the ground and came in contact with my dog's front paws when he tried to dig was sufficient to discourage him. Maybe he just gave up easily, but after I put the chicken wire up he stopped digging out.

Old 07-15-03, 01:22 PM
I have noticed that since my DD is walking her dogs on a daily basis that Bear no longer wants to dig out. Maybe now would be the time to use the chicken wire. Eventually the grass will grow through it and it will embed itself a little into the ground.

Kay

Old 08-06-03, 10:30 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Kaybrd, I am sure you would love to be married to the Tim Taylor chracter on Home Improvement, wouldn't you?

Old 08-07-03, 05:11 AM
Actually, I think I already am LOL. His hearts in the right place but he's just not always really good at what he attempts. Maybe 'Al' would be a better choice for me.

Kay