storm pics

Old 07-24-03, 01:17 PM
storm pics

Here's a few pics I took today. Not very good ones, sorry. If I had thought about I could have taken some the day it happened. However, I have to say that our cove that was impassible on Tuesday at 7:30 a.m. is almost totally cleared of trees and debris.

I didn't think to take pictures that day (except of the damage to our house) since we were all so busy trying to cover rooftops, and clear the road for the service trucks to get in here.

http://www.kaybyrd.com/diy/storm2003/index.html

I have come to the conclusion that living in this town requires the ownership of a chainsaw . I will also never doubt that straight-line winds are just as dangerous as tornados, especially since there is no warning when they come. The sirens didn't go off until it was half over.

Kay

Sponsored Links
Old 07-24-03, 01:36 PM
I will also never doubt that straight-line winds are just as dangerous as tornados,
If the wind is blowing a hundred miles an hour, does is matter whether is blows in a circle or not? Good photos.

We took a hit from a tornado when I was 6. No sirens or anything in 1955.

After a storm like that, if everybody is OK, that seems to be all that matters.

Old 07-26-03, 11:26 PM
Here's a link to pics taken in Memphis by the electric company there. Shows the type damage that happened around here. I'm 1/4 mile from Memphis, so maybe it will give you an idea of what we went through too.

Memphis is so much larger that its taking awhile to get them back up again. I think it said they have over 400,000 customers. Southaven isn't a very large town, but is big. I also read that this quick storm did more damage than the ice storm in 94 (I thought it was in 93, but then again as I get older my memory doesn't stay as true).

So far we still have about 300 homes that don't have power, but the electric company is waiting on electricians to fix the owners side of the damage. We were fortunate, but two of my neighbors trees took their boxes off the house. They had to be replaced, since of course, the electric company doesn't touch anything behind the meter other than to connect the meter to the house.

http://www.mlgw.com/restoration_photographs.htm

Kay

Old 08-01-03, 07:59 PM
dslonim
Visiting Guest
Storm

Amen....
I'm in Lakeland, TN (N.E. Memphis) and the sirens never went off. My street is still cluttered with huge piles of debris. The damage to my neighborhood is worse than what we suffered when a tornado came through in the early 90's. And I agree with you...a chainsaw appears to be a necessity around here.

Old 08-02-03, 01:31 PM
I haven't risked running up through that area to see the damage. I did notice while coming back on 40 that there was a lot of damage through that area between the Arlington and Memphis exits.

My son took me to see his 'new' house over in Horn Lake Thursday night. I passed a house on 51 that was almost totalled by these 100yo trees. Bless his heart. He wasn't hurt. Guys, get this, he has no home owners insurance. He thought it was included in his mortgage. What do you do? I know mine is, but at one time I had trouble getting it straightened out. The insurance company had billed the mtg company, but the wrong one. Our mtg had been purchased shortly after we got the mtg. Anyway, the mtg company said that since we didn't have insurance that they would provide it for us unless we found someone to insure us. Its all straightened out now, but I can't believe that a mtg company wouldn't require insurance on a home, especially one that large!

Kay

Ps. dslmonim, Im glad that you are safe! Our sirens went off about half way through it. I never heard the alarms at the airport, and I'm not that far from the airport. That is truly scary!

K.