Microsoft bashing

Old 08-31-03, 09:58 PM
tae
Microsoft bashing

I know alot of people are anti Microsoft,and just wondering why?
Alot of people are anti bill gates,and just wondering why?
They are 2 separate identities,just as are Ted turner and his companies. I don't think computer software or hardware would be near as advanced today without Microsoft. For ease of use and compatibility, you cant beat Microsoft OS. i think it works pretty good for having to work with multi thousands of other programs,and all kinds of hardware. other OS's do exist, and are starting to get as user friendly as Microsoft(remember having to compile your own drivers?) I recently did a little research about the grants,freebies and donations from Microsoft and bill gates. I found that people from all backgrounds,colors and creeds have benefited, as well as many countries. Well over 2 billion(more like 20 ) have been spent on upgrading and education from them. Sure, it probably benefits Microsoft in the long run,but it benefits everyone now. I've heard that they push their products out to fast, even though they usually release them well after the scheduled release date. All OS's need/have patches and updates.
Microsoft dominates the software market. It makes alot of money. Bill gates makes lots of money. i think it's awesome, and the true American dream. Wish it was me! Don't mean to sound like a Microsoft commercial. i have used most OS's and still prefer and recommend Microsoft, and at least right now, the only reason i will change would be for privacy/security issues. So lets hear why you hate Microsoft, and be sure to be able to back up any facts you use,don't just say something stupid like Microsoft hates white people, or something similar.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-31-03, 10:16 PM
Microsoft

I didn't realize so many people hated Microsoft. After typing into Google "Why people hate Microsoft," I got 528,000 search results. I guess a lot of people do hate Microsoft.

Old 09-01-03, 07:34 AM
I guess I can't say that I hate MSoft. I prefer Linux because it seems to run better on my machine. I do have to admit, I still have Windows on my computer as well since it is convenient when I can't figure out how to make something in Linux work. My laptop also runs Windows.

Do you think that my signature is too misleading? Maybe it should read this instead: "Use Linux....life's too short to reboot - but keep Windows bootable for when Linux doesn't act the way you thought it would" ?

I get upset with MSoft when I cannot figure out how to fix something that is wrong in Windows. Then again, in my computer repair class we joke about the ID10T key (i d 10 t key). Most of my problems are caused by ME (as in Kay) and my failure to follow the instructions given with a program.

I also wonder if its because MSoft is actually so easy to use and setup that when something goes wrong we become upset that it isn't working correctly. We then blame MSoft.

I will make this statement: I do NOT use Linux because I hate Windows or Microsoft. I use Linux because it is fun and a challenge for me.

Kay

Old 09-01-03, 08:13 AM
Without the PC clone and Microsoft, It seems unlikely that personal computing would be where it is today.

Windows is the warm, fuzzy way that most are introduced to computers. Most users nowadays are appliance operators, and don't have a clue about how a computer works and the components in a typical system. They don't care and don't want to have to be concerned. All in all, it works well enough for most.

Microsoft is the great American success story. You know: get an idea, start small, work hard, etc. At first Apple had Microsoft beat, but dropped the ball.

The things that I don't like about Microsoft products are problems with interoperability among programs and security deficiencies. Pricing and poor programming are just part of the scenery. The frustration rises when users have so much trouble getting some program to work. I know that I am the same way. If someone puts out a program, especially with a big price on it, I expect it to work. Too often, there is some obscure, arcane reason it doesn't. It takes a long time to solve the problem, if ever.

The slow evolution at Microsoft seems to be getting an handle on the interoperability problems. At least, that is how it seems. I hear some good things about XP. It may prove to be worthwhile. MacIntosh and Linux continue to evolve as well. They just don't have the large installed base that Microsoft has.

We will likely soon be at the point with computer operating systems as we are with cars. They all work, there are simply preferences for one over the other.

I have something else that works for me. It is not perfect, and little is. Beating up on Microsoft is akin to beating up on Linux. It is just something people do.

I did some interesting number crunching from twelvepole's search results of "Why I hate Microsoft", using the total number of web pages as reported by Google.

528,000/3,307,998,701=0.0001596

Despite its empirical size, the results are statistically insignificant among all web pages. Interesting.

The results for "Why I have Microsoft" are less reassuring: 5.

I don't hate Microsoft, I just use something preferable. Besides, Linux has a cute mascot.

Old 09-01-03, 03:04 PM
Microsoft

Your empirical research certainly puts the Microsoft bashing into perspective as well as the media. Very enlightening! Most of the articles I scanned tended to fault Microsoft because of its monopoly. Remember Ma Bell? As you say, one day it will be like cars.

Old 09-01-03, 05:39 PM
I like MS, longtime user and highly recommebd it.

Old 09-01-03, 05:43 PM
Appliance Operator

I loved chfite's "appliance operator." I have chuckled about it all afternoon. I am the first to admit I know nothing about computers. Now, I have words to describe me! Thank you, chfite.

And, marturo, your computer lingo is above my head. I do, however, think you made a very profound commentary about the ability of marketing to manipulate the consumer.

You will frequently hear me say, "I hate computers." You and I know that it is not true. My computer is my iron lung and contact with the outside world and everything that currently meets my needs for research. I no longer live in a town with a university library, which sometimes frustrates me, but for the most part the internet research currently meets my needs.

The reason I say I hate computers is because of my frustration with myself about my ignorance about them. That is my fault for not educating myself about them. I am always in awe of you computer people.

Sincerely,

Appliance Operator

Old 09-01-03, 05:56 PM
Appliance Operator! That is good.

I also agree with some of the reasons that others dislike some computer brand or O/S. Simply because they're having problems with it (operating it lol!). I'm the same. I disliked my eMachines until I understood its limitations. I also dislike MSoft until I understood MY limitations, and the same goes for Linux. I would love to try a Mac, just because I've heard good things about them.

For the most part, if I can't download my pics from my digital camera, access the internet or print something off I get frustrated with whatever machine or operating system I'm using.

I even believe that AOL has its place in this world.

Kay

Old 09-01-03, 08:02 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
One good reason to hate microsoft is that they sometimes charge you to help with a problem with their software. I cannot understand why they need to do this when Bill Gates is probably richer than some small nations.

Old 09-01-03, 09:04 PM
I've always used MSoft's support site instead of calling them. I think its easier that way. If I can't find the answer, then I post here in the computer forum. Usually someone here has the answer or can help me find it.

Kay

Old 09-09-03, 06:32 AM
Antony W. Serio
Visiting Guest
[rant]
I have many problems with M$.
1) No command line interface, everything MUST be done through a GUI. You can still get a DOS prompt if you know how, but it's not as useful as a Unix/Linux shell.
2) Lack of backward compatibility with Office. Office 2000 will not read Office 98 documents properly, especially complex forms. We've had to redo all of our forms at work, thanks to this 'upgrade'. The next iteration of Office will be worse thanks to the DMCA, as it will be illegal to translate documents to another format.
3) Lack of security. Viruses, worms, trojans, spyware etc. are specificly designed to work on M$ applications. Security patches are available but rarely implemented. Witness the havoc caused by the SoBig.f worm.
4) One word, NGSCB. Formerly known as Paladium. Do a Google search, and be very afraid.
[/rant]

Old 09-09-03, 08:08 PM
Smile

Maybe we should refrain from using the word hate. It is an extremely strong word to use. Dislike is a 'good enough' description of our feelings toward problems we have with any operating system, well, for anything in life period.

Kay