Why????

Old 09-09-03, 05:26 PM
Re-Posting my Post.

I'm just need to vent some here. We were vandalized over the weekend between Sunday morning and Monday late afternoon. Somebody - or bodies - came and smashed up all our front windows, the front door window, the kitchen window and the side door window. Already up to almost $2,000 to replace and/or repair it all, what little that can be repaired. The Sherriff's department thought it was kids and at first, I agreed. However, after thinking about how they smashed in the windows, seemingly making the concerted effort to break only the top stationary portions which are part of the window frames, I now believe it was not kids, but rather somebody over the age of 19. We live out in the country and are not part of a subdivision, but there was a new one built recently just behind our house and property. We have never had a problem with anyone in the subdivision, even though there is one homeowner that likes to party and have their own band - they are not good at all. We have not even called the sherriff's when they consume too much (the music gets worse and louder) and start shooting at 11:00pm typically on Saturday nights. That will change immediately. Anyway, we don't have any other problems with anyone around us, we are good people who work hard and keep to ourselves and family. The alarm system didn't go off, so they didn't go very far into the house and it doesn't seem like they were looking to steal anything...this time. There is still hope that the investigator with the Sherriff's department will find something when he checks into the hospital records of the surrounding emergency rooms since whoever did this got cut pretty bad and left blood splatters on the side door, inside, on the porch and trailed out into the back edge of our property. Now I'm worried that whoever did this will escalate their activites. We live in the house just 1/4 of an acre away while we finish the new one, and every night I get paranoid that they are back down there to do something else, or break some more windows and doors. I keep an ear tuned to the traffic noise from the road listening for anyone slowing down and listening for the alarm. Needless to say, I haven't slept very well since this happened. Why would anyone kids or otherwise, find this entertaining? Your thoughts and opinions to help me cope with this would be helpful and appreciated. Meanwhile, back down to the house to clean up and re-do work so that we can slowly move forward and finish this house. Thanks for listening.
Sandie

Sponsored Links
Old 09-10-03, 04:23 PM
Oh Sandie,

I'm so sorry that happened to you. I don't know what is wrong with kids today. Well, actually I do think I have an idea. Where are/were these kids parents?

Just try to remember that they may slow you down, but they can't stop you.

Again, I'm so sorry.

Kay

Old 09-10-03, 06:08 PM
Thanks Kay. They are still investigating and are not sure it was kids. It's possible it was some young adults and today we found out that there has been a dramatic increase in drug activity about 2-3 miles away from where we live. I kinda hope it was kids, that way their parents could be held responsible for the costs of the physical damage and retaliation will be less likely.

Today, I was reminded of how dangerous that the stress and lack of sleep can be... I work on a construction site with a large crane installing deep foundations. Typical days are +12 hours. Already exhausted at 9-9:30am, I was walking along side the crane immersed in my number crunching for the work, when I was knocked down by the crane. I had wandered into the turning radius and it caught me in my left shoulder. I am fine, just knocked my hardhat off when I stumbled to the ground, and got a little grease on my shirt. Kinda chuckled a little when I saw the crane operator (not a small guy by any stretch) sprint out of the rig to make sure I was okay. Then of course, I was upset/mad at myself for being so careless. Needless to say, after that wake-up call, I made sure to be extra cautious for the remainder of the day.

Going to try and get some rest now and just remind myself that I have done all that I can about this and the rest is not in my hands any more. The investigator will do what he can and we will go on with everything doing what we can. And you're right, they can not and will not stop us!!

Sandie

Old 09-12-03, 08:18 PM
wesettles3
Visiting Guest
That is horrible! It's sad what will entertain some people....IMO, it sounds like the work of some "older kids" - maybe just beyond high-school age, and possibly drunk.

You said this was a house you were "working on" and not living in....perhaps these people realized this and targeted it for that reason - just to be destructive. I remember seeing a videotape once on a t.v. show (something like "Dateline") of some punks that went into an unfinished house and vandalized the place with baseball bats, etc. and thought it would be fun to videotape it...until the videotape was discovered by someone and they were turned into the police. Do you have a surveillance camera you could set up inside the house? Or even a "fake" one? I've seen the fake kind at places like Radio Shack....you could mount some outside or near windows and maybe that would be a deterrent for someone thinking of doing anything. Just an idea...you've probably already thought of these things.

Anyway, I hope this doesn't happen to you again! Like I said, my opinion would be that this was a group of dysfunctional young people that got drunk one night and thought vandalizing a vacant house would be a good idea. I wouldn't think they would come back to the same place again! Hope you are sleeping a little bettter-

wesettles3

Old 09-13-03, 11:52 AM
I know your feeling... Last Saturday my 7 year old daughter was with my mom at a picnic and was going to spend the night with her. When they got home to my moms around 8:45 pm she found someone had broke into her house and stole every peice of jewlery she had. Most was gifts from her late husband that past away last year also her mothers ring all of us kids saved up for and gave her.

I have so many mixed feelings about what I'd like to do to the "probably crack heads" if I ever got ahold of them.

These kind of people really bring out the anger in me. They have no feelings about the emotional damage they are inflickting on others.

Old 09-13-03, 03:18 PM
We are going to get at least a fake camera tomorrow and have thought about looking into getting a web camera or a deer/wildlife tracking camera. I'm pushing for the deer/wildlife camera since it is weather-resistant and could be used during hunting season. My husband has a problem with this due to the cost and feels that if anything happens at night, we won't be able to identify anything due to the darkness, and too many people out where we live recognize these hunting accessories and would be prone to steal it. Anyway, that is something we still have to discuss further.

I too think it was some drunk 'rednecks'. Normally I don't use terms like that but these people have made me so angry that well... We are going to stay there at night on the weekends. We thought about putting up temporary blinds and parking there daily to make it look lived in, but the Sherriff deputy and the Sherriff investigator said the blinds would only provide cover for these people and leaving at set times would let them know we are not there. What do you think about the idea of putting up blinds and parking there while we complete the landscaping??

The alarm system did scare someone away Friday while my mother-in-law was over at her parents house helping cut tree limbs. Now she too feels like she can't leave to do anything...

Mattison, I completely understand your mixed feelings, I'm dealing with that too. You are exactly right about them having no regard for the emotional damages. I know your mom must have more sorrow over losing the physical items that could bring memories back with just a glance than she has anger about the break in itself. I'm truly sorry that happened to your mom.

I did sleep better the other night, thankfully! Tonight at the house may be a different story.

Thanks you guys, this is helping!

Sandie

Old 09-13-03, 04:49 PM
wesettles3
Visiting Guest
I definitely think the more "lived-in" you can make the house look, the more of a deterrent that will be for vandals. Also, if you have outside lights hooked up to the house, leave those on at night. I leave all of my outside lights on all night for security. Another idea is to get a "professional-looking" security sign and stick it in the ground near all entrances...even if you don't have a security system, that could help deter someone if they think you might have a security system. Hope this helps!