Weather

Old 09-19-03, 05:24 AM
Group Moderator
Weather

So, how did everyone fare up the coast with the big storm? Just got email this morning from friends in eastern NC (where we last lived and I was stationed until I retired in '99) that they came through okay except for localized flooding and the power being out. They didn't say, but following the tracking looked like a near direct hit (Craven County/New Bern area); good thing the winds had gotten down below 100 mph by that time. Maybe they should move down here to Fla to be safe from hurricanes, LOL.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-19-03, 05:47 PM
jeff1
Visiting Guest
So, how did everyone fare up the coast with the big storm?
I'm not on the coast....more like Central Canada, and we got the ending today....lots of downed trees and power lines but on a whole is was mild here....a lot less than what Enviroment Canada was telling us would happen

Thoughts and prayers to those hardest hit in the US.

jeff.

Old 09-20-03, 09:04 AM
It is sad to see the damage in Kitty Hawk and Outer Banks areas. We vacation there occasionally and the residents are great people.

Old 09-21-03, 07:57 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Didja know that taxpayers rebuild homes damaged in those every year because the idiots who won them do not realize that if your house is destroyed year in and year out, YOU SHOULD MOVE!! We bail out these homeowners to the tune of $200 MILLION PER YEAR!! In Southeastern CT, a few showers some wind and a 5 second power outage.

Old 09-22-03, 05:41 PM
Hmm... That is the second time I've heard that this week... At first I thought, "That makes sense... Why should we keep bailing these guys out when they keep building in the same areas knowing full well that it is only a matter of time before their houses will be damaged or destroyed and they will need a bailout again...."

Upon further consideration though, a couple things come to mind... First is this... Who pays for the bail out? Well, taxpayers do... Are the people on the coast taxpayers? Of course they are... In fact, I suspect that they pay a sizeable amount in taxes due to the values of the properties they own... Second, if the taxpayers get to decide who lives on the coast, then what about people who live in earthquake regions, or in my case, 'tornado alley'... What about the millions that live along the Mississippi River, the Rio Grande, the Missouri River? Of course, everyone would have to move from the base of any area that might be destroyed by a volcano, which would be a majority of Alaskans and Hawaiians... And then you have the millions of people that are buried in snow every year in the Northern US... All I can say is that I would far rather my tax money go to the bailing out of people that have had their lives destroyed by unforeseen circumstances, than see it wasted on any number of other government programs...

Just for the record, in the last 10 years, I have seen over a dozen times ATLEAST where the federal government has given funds to citizens of Georgia to pay for cleanup of 'natural' disasters to include several flood situations and countless tornado touchdowns... At least the gov't seems to be consistent in its help in these types of situations which is more than I can say for other tax paid programs provided by them...

Just my opinion though...

Old 09-22-03, 07:39 PM
link: picture of Isabel

Here's a link to pic of Isabel that I received in an email. She's off the coast of North Carolina on the 17th when this pic was taken from a tanker.

http://www.kaybyrd.com/diy/hurricane.jpg

I hope everyone is safe. I've never seen a hurricane from this angle (in a picture) before. Thank goodness I've never seen one from any angle in person. She is one scary looking beast.

Kay

Old 09-22-03, 07:51 PM
Wow, Kaybyrd... Nice Pic... I just made it my background... That is one scary looking angle...

Old 09-22-03, 08:00 PM
I can't imagine being on that tanker. How far out from the ship do you think Isabel was?

Kay

Old 09-22-03, 11:24 PM
Sorry gang, its a hoax, good info here about it.

http://www.snopes.com/photos/isabel.asp

great photo though.

Old 09-23-03, 04:39 AM
Group Moderator
Beat me to it, comtnman; I've been through a few both here in Fla and in coastal NC. No way you would be within sight distance and have such calm water and hurricanes don't really have a defined edge like in the picture.

Pretty awesome photo, tho.

Old 09-23-03, 05:18 AM
You beat me to it as well. I've been duped LOL. I just got the email saying it was a hoax, too.

Sorry everyone! I thought the wind was very calm around there, but ... anyway LOL. I have officially been duped, again.

Kay

Old 09-23-03, 06:26 AM
Even though it was a hoax, it was still a cool pic. By the way, that figure I mentioned earlier about rebuilding costs came from the CAPITAL OFFENSE section of Scarborough Country on MSNBC

Old 09-24-03, 05:35 PM
Isabel did damage that none of us here ever dreamed a category 1 or 2 could do. Yes the beaches got slammed, but so did many non-coastal areas that have never seen that kind of wind. We have areas that look like they were bombed. Not as bad as Andrew by a long shot (I was there too!) but certainly the worst many here have ever seen. Making things worse is the power outage, which I have heard attributed to the many trees uprooted in our already rain-soaked soil. But it wasn't just that either - every other house in my neighborhood has at least one substantial tree broken off above the ground. School is FINALLY starting back tomorrow - for a partial day at least - for many cities, but some will not re-open for many more days. I was lucky, only a few trees lost, a fence panel to replace, and a gate latch ripped off. I think I was the only house to not lose a single shingle. Losing power for a couple of days was nothing compared to those who lost everything. I am counting my blessings.