Dog License Tax
Federal Income Tax
Federal Unemployment Tax (FUTA)
Fishing License Tax
Food License Tax
Fuel permit tax
Gasoline Tax (42 cents per gallon)
Hunting License Tax
Inheritance Tax Interest expense (tax on the money)
Inventory tax IRS Interest Charges (tax on top of tax)
IRS Penalties (tax on top of tax)
Liquor Tax
Local Income Tax
Luxury Taxes
Marriage License Tax
Medicare Tax
Property Tax
Real Estate Tax
Septic Permit Tax
Service Charge Taxes
Social Security Tax
Road Usage Taxes (Truckers)
Sales Taxes
Recreational Vehicle Tax
Road Toll Booth Taxes
School Tax
State Income Tax
State Unemployment Tax (SUTA)
Telephone federal excise tax
Telephone federal universal service fee tax
Telephone federal, state and local surcharge taxes
Telephone minimum usage surcharge tax
Telephone recurring and nonrecurring charges tax
Telephone State and local tax
Telephone usage charge tax
Toll Bridge Taxes
Toll Tunnel Taxes
Traffic Fines (indirect taxation)
Trailer registration tax
Utility Taxes
Vehicle License Registration Tax
Vehicle Sales Tax
Watercraft registration Tax
Well Permit Tax
Workers Compensation Tax

COMMENTS: Not one of these taxes existed 100 years ago and our nation was
the most prosperous in the world, had absolutely no national debt, had the
largest middle class in the world and Mom stayed home to raise the kids.

What the heck happened?

Doug

Sponsored Links
Old 09-24-03, 07:49 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
The problem is obvious... We don't pay enough taxes... We need a Stay-At-Home Mom TAX!

Old 09-24-03, 07:56 AM
Whoa now! I'd have to go back to work to pay those taxes LOL.

Kay

Old 09-24-03, 08:23 PM
"Everyone wants to go to heaven, but no one wants to die". We all want all these "things" (services, etc) from government at all levels, but Santa Claus doesn't bring them.

Some other changes in the past 100 years:
1/2 of our population couldn't vote then

no commercial airline service, heavily subsidized by taxes, benefits most of us

life expectancy of about 60 years,how many of us know anyone who has died from the HUGE killers of 100 years ago, smallpox, typhus, polio, this has benefited all of us

no paved roads, this benefits all of us

no electrical power in much of the country

not much in the way of higher education for the middle class

All of the things that have improved in the past 100 years didn't just happen by chance, someone had to decide to INVEST in all of these things. Some things are rightly the province of government, not industry. So some "politiian" had to stake his career on pushing forward with some idea, that may not have been real popular, then we had to pay for it. The paying for it is in taxes.
I've lived in countries that don't have a lot of what we take for granted in the USA. Trust me, it's much better here. Actually I think we get a lot for what we pay, and I'm no young idealist.

End of Frank's rant.

Old 09-24-03, 09:48 PM
Frank,

I'm not young either, half a century old and I would like to say this and you, I am sure, have thought of it as well.

no commercial airline service, heavily subsidized by taxes, benefits most of us - But we are suppose to have air marshalls on ALL flights! After 2 years we still don't

life expectancy of about 60 years - I agree but we are now looking at much older life expenctancy and who is taking care of the elderly now - costs are too high for their care and shouldn't we be doing something about that? Not many will afford to live on just social security when they are suppose to retire.

no paved roads, this benefits all of us - I live in Michigan and they squander the money that OUR taxes are suppose to be used to pay for repairs. Not happening here - we have lousy roads!

no electrical power in much of the country - True but after that major power outage, this doesn't say much about the planners and bureacracy or shall I say the monopoly!

not much in the way of higher education for the middle class - then again the lower and middle class don't care. You just have to look at what has happened to children respecting teachers, police, law, clergyman and most of all parents? Then again, what do TODAY'S parents care about? Not much if it involves teaching responsibility, accountability, respect and discipline.

I have also lived overseas, Japan, Okinawa and Pureto Rico. With what we have in America, we do take for granted, or shall I say, I take for granted even though I pay dearly for the priviledge. What we have allowed special interests groups to do to this country is disgraceful. What we have allowed the lawmakers to do, is an outright shame. We have so many laws, that they mean nothing anymore or if they mean something, a good lawyer alters it to their clients advantange. Being held acountable for a crime is purely "words". Justice is becoming a myth, and the criminals, juveniles all know it.

True, we have come far and paid dearly for the benefits we entitle ourselves to. We have transistioned ourselves from hardships long gone which relied on "neighborly courtesy" to being a country set up to function purely on a "monetary" base.

In short, we have or are "giving away the farm" and soon what you once had will be just a memory. It's sad to sit back and realize we have become self-centered, greedy and demanding.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it but I agree with you Frank on all your comments.

Old 09-25-03, 07:26 AM
econ 101

100 years ago, family took care of family - not the government.

Simple lesson from econ 101: You can have either guns or butter. If you want both its gonna cost you. Thats what we have - a huge social program and a huge military (we weren't a world power, much less the worlds policeman in 1900). The monroe doctrine, isolationism, et al kept the military budget down. All the social programs (butter) have really blossomed since FDR. Those social programs don't come cheap.

Search this Thread