Driving Directions websites

Old 11-02-03, 09:31 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Driving Directions websites

Are there any web sites for driving directions that do not have a love affair with interstate highways? I have tried using a few sites for driving directions, but they all seem to love using interstate highways for local trips that are within 10-15 miles of my house, when local roads seem to make more sense. You gotta love it when these sites meniton highway areas that are not open because they are being built now.

Just wondering

Sponsored Links
Old 11-02-03, 11:29 AM
If you use Mapquest, do they not still offer an option via a radio box to select a scenic route instead of the quickest route?

I use a commercial product for my maps.

Kay

Old 11-02-03, 04:17 PM
I still prefer a paper map.

Old 11-02-03, 04:55 PM
I prefer a paper map, too. That is why I print the map and directions out LOL.

For some reason my maps never stay in the car glovebox where they belong. The kids and my husband keep thinking they belong in the house somewhere and I can never find them until long after the trip(s).

Kay

Old 11-02-03, 07:38 PM
Thank you very much!!! I haven't checked out MapQuest yet, but I will later. I mostly use these sites for finding out how far I have bicycled or walked which a paper map doesn't tell you very easily to the .01 of a mile you have gone and it they do not include turns onto different roads.

Old 11-02-03, 07:47 PM
I fixed it. You can too since you posted it. You can hit the edit button and it gives you the option to edit or delete the post.

However, not a problem! I like the Mapquest and other mapping programs since they do give you an idea of the miles. This commercial program I have also allows you to fill in the estimate speed you'll drive, and the average price of gas on the trip. Gives you a rough estimate of how long it will take, plus how much you're going to be in for [lol] or out should I say!?

Kay

Old 11-02-03, 09:09 PM
Thank you for that editing tip. Had no idea that it would be that easy to fix that.

Old 11-02-03, 10:23 PM
I use several different online maps for work (traveling all over Atlanta servicing, I really have no choice) - as well as local area maps.

I like <a href="http://www.mapquest.com">MapQuest</a> for most of my maps, but I also use <a href="http://www.mapblast.com">MapBlast</a>, and more recently <a href="http://maps.yahoo.com">Yahoo! Maps</a>. I've found that Yahoo! actually updates it's online database quicker than the rest - so if you have a newer address to lookup, it's probably going to have it before the other's will. It also tends to do exactly what you want, use the actual quickest route as opposed to the "Interstate quickest route."

Old 11-15-03, 07:26 PM
Usually if requesting the fastest route you get Interstates.

But, if you select the shortest route it seems to provide more surface roads.

Just my thoughts.

Old 11-17-03, 07:47 PM
Thank you much for all the help!!