Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Community Meeting Center For Non Governmental & Non Political Forum Topics > General Chats and Discussions
Reload this Page > What kind of time does microsoft use for update installation and downloading?

What kind of time does microsoft use for update installation and downloading?

Old 11-02-03, 07:53 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
What kind of time does microsoft use for update installation and downloading?

Hi!!

I was wondering what kind of miutes (football?) when it comes to downloading updates for Windows XP. The computer said 40 min, but it took 2 hours to download the 8 updates I put in. I am using a 56k modem, could they mean 40 min on DSL or some other kind of system?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-02-03, 08:59 PM
You are absolutely correct! Football time. I have DSL and it still takes a looong time. Probably because so many are downloading all the patches.

Old 11-02-03, 09:40 PM
tae
I have cable and it goes by very fast. Microsoft usually has a very fast site. I believe their estimated times are done using the best connection possible for your modem speed(apparently based on how fast you loaded their page). remember, it's just an estimate.

Old 11-02-03, 10:25 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I get this too when I'm downloading updates from MS.com - I think it may have to do with server load. As tae mentioned, the site estimates the time before you download - but after the download starts, it usually slows. On cable, I usually only get about 10kb/sec if I'm lucky from MS.com. As opposed to 60-80kb/sec from others.

Search this Thread