Feel free to laugh with me, but be kind...

Old 12-07-03, 07:55 AM
Feel free to laugh with me, but be kind...

I discovered this problem that I have. Common problem, and now that I'm becoming total aware of how big it is I can't help but laugh at myself.

I am the beloved impulse buyer. I had a yard sale of things I bought on impulse and never/rarely use. One room of things. The family room. I sold $180 worth of stuff. Books and DVDs and Christmas decorations. No appliances, no furniture, no electronics, just books, dvds and christmas deco.

I have a new routine for grocery shopping too. It humorous, and takes forever so I had to plan my grocery shopping to take a whole afternoon or morning. I go through with my list buying what I have on the list. Then I have to go back through the isles again RETURNING the items I don't need to their proper place. The last shopping trip I knew that I was subconsciously aware of this fact (picking up unneeded things) since 99% of the things I put back where in the seat of the basket.

Now - there's eBay. I had bought a Palm on eBay last year. I never use it. Too complicated for me and I want to get a simpler one. I had one, but due to my impulse buying I bought this better one and gave the other one away. So I go on eBay to check the going prices for the one I want to sell. Guys, I kid you not that silly BUY IT NOW! almost got me in trouble again. I almost bought another Palm instead of trying to list this one I already have. I had to laugh at the fact that I had to mentally force my hand/mouse off that buy it now button and up to the little 'x' on the browser to close it. It was like fighting a possessed hand or something.

I have to laugh at myself or I will beat myself over this. I know that shopping addictions are not to be taken lightly. They can ruin a family financially. I've done that to mine. We almost lost our house - and by that I mean we caught the note up two days before it was to go on the auction block. I've had our car repossed once. None of that is funny or to be taken lightly.

Now that I am aware of my problem I am working on it. I'm not there yet, by any means. My last impulse buy was getting cat food at the grocery store. I walked out with cat food, shortening so I could make some chocolate chip cookies that I was craving AND a huge chocolate chip cookies santa face ($8). I mean, I was planning to go home and make the cookies but here was this huge readymade cookie!

Kay

Sponsored Links
Old 12-07-03, 12:42 PM
Ooooh Kaybyrd; You've got it bad.

Living where you do I'm sure you can pick up Dave Ramsey on the Radio. He's one of the best talk shows going and he's really helped people like you before.

I have an acquaintance who is very bad in this regard. He's in his late 40's early 50's, ;good paying white collar job, wife is a professional so I'm guessing their income is in the $125-$150K range annually. It almost cost him his marriage. His agreement with her is that he has NO CREDIT CARDS, carries no checks and talkes enough cash to get him through each day, AND HE HAS TO ACCOUNT FOR EVERYTHING HE SPENDS. Before he got this BUG under control he had run up about $100K on credit cards, leased and returned 3 new, high dollar, cars in about 18 months.

I realized with your hubby gone a lot it's not feasible for you to totally surrender control of your ability to spend, but rest assured there is help out there.

Frank

Old 12-07-03, 03:55 PM
Frank,

I just finished Final Peace, and now am reading the 3 additional chapters in Financial Peace Revisted. I also have his book Total Money Makeover. I went to the library and got these books instead of buying them!

Its strange now when I talk with the children when they ask for things. Now I don't tell them things like "money doesn't grow on trees" etc., I tell them we all have a problem and we will never have anything if we keep getting everything. Its no wonder that they have no concept of savings money. I've been a wonderful example. But those days are now moving behind us. I want to live like no one else so I can live like no one else.

(That's a quote from Dave Ramsey)

Have a great week!

Kay

Old 12-08-03, 12:48 PM
sunshine1952
Visiting Guest
Hi . Havent been on here in awhile. But when I checked and saw this Kay I couldn't help putting in my 2 cents. Cause that's all I have left after being on ebay. I am still kind of housebound but a friend of ours 2 houses down needed someone to straighten out his office so he hired me to come in 3 days a week for 4 hours . Thats all I could manage. He pays me a small amount. Anyway since daughter is paying for house and utilities My money was mine.NOT! I DISCOVERED ebay. It now belongs to ebay sellers! My weakness is vintage fabrics,Quilt books, and vintage patterns,vintage Books Do you know how much is there?lol and of course since it is vintage I have to get it now or it won't be there. Right? My kid has been very good. She hasn't strangled me yet. But I sure she will . SOON. I have promised myself this is the last week. Just as soon as I pay off what I owe. Then I am going to limit myself to whatever I have left after I give Amy money and get things I really need. Maybe 20.00 or so. Then I can still get but I have to choose carefully . Like you at the grocery store.

Old 12-08-03, 01:17 PM
Girl,

Ebay isn't even allowed on my computer right now. After having to force myself I off I know there isn't any "i'll be good, i promise" deal. NO EBAY for me. If I ever get around to selling anything I will prepare the description, HTML and all before hand. Then I will have my SIL list it for me. I just don't trust myself right now.

My dream is no longer the American dream. I don't want things, I want to be debt free in 10 years. This includes my house. I achieved one dream 2 years ago - buying this house. Then I almost lost it. I don't ever, repeat ever want to do that again.

I have a precious $100 in my emergency fund. The guys in hvac are trying to help me fix my heater. I don't want to lose that either. If I have to, that's what its for but I want this financial peace so much!

Kay

Old 12-08-03, 01:28 PM
sunshine1952
Visiting Guest
Kay,

I understand perfectly. Since I am single and "old" I don't want to bother with a house but I do understand wanting to be debt free. I was almost until this stupid surgery last year. Now I owe so much money I would have to live to be 150 before I ever got it paid off. My big goal other than starting my massage business was to be able to take a vacation. Whenever and wherever I wanted to. Now I can go where I want as long as I can drive. Actually have someone drive me. I can't for any longer than 30minutes at a time. They don't want you to fly when you have had a aortic replacement imagine that Well there goes my trip to Ireland unless they build a BIG bridge. lol. I think I will stay off of ebay also I can think of better thing s to spend my money on and I really have enough fabric for a year or so.

Sheila