you know it's been cold when.......

Old 01-17-04, 11:59 PM
mike from nj
Visiting Guest
you know it's been cold when.......

......when i can work outside for an hour and a half in a t-shirt and jeans and not get cold. (i'll admit i was working up a sweat, though)

it hit a high of 36F today!!!

( i was even getting used to the low 20s/teens)

(feel free to add comments all)

Sponsored Links
Old 01-21-04, 04:49 AM
My dog stays outside for more than 5 minutes and my psyco cat that needs Valium or something actually lets you pet him cause he was able to stay outside for a while.

Old 01-23-04, 06:55 AM
You get all bundled up to run to the store since its been in the high 20's (F) only to have to strip out of the hat, clothes and coat as you walk to your car because its now 60 out there?

Joys of living in the mid-south!

Kay

Old 01-24-04, 12:50 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
you know it's cold when the heating strips in the freezer kick on.

Old 02-16-04, 04:10 AM
heating strips in the freezer kick on
Huh??? You mean the heating strip on your heat pump?

Around the tiem this was being posted, we has lows of -23, and high of -5

Old 02-16-04, 05:08 AM
When you get 4" of snow in Texas.

Old 02-16-04, 05:32 AM
slider
Visiting Guest
When you go to fire up your space heater in the insulated shop and find it's gelled up on ya.

Old 02-16-04, 12:05 PM
supersteve
Visiting Guest
You know it's been cold when the population of Canadian tourists in Cuba has more than tripled compared to previous years.

You know it's been cold when you actually see Canadian cars with skis on the roof..............in Florida.

You know it's been cold when penguins migrate south for the winter.

You know it's been cold when Canadians actually complain.

Imagine...this coming from a Canuck!!!

GO WINGS!!

Old 02-17-04, 10:42 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Jay...

Just kidding...what I was implying was that the freezer was getting too cold, lol. Yeah, it was corny now that I look at it.

Old 02-18-04, 05:08 AM
hehehehe, those darned northerns never get the freezer joke do they?

Just kidding. Am freezing this morning, and feel like this Byrd needs to fly further south!

Kay

Old 02-19-04, 02:12 AM
LOL Cheese.

I never hears of such joke before... Must be the sourthern thing!

Old 02-19-04, 05:41 AM
The weather here is very weird. It snowed last weekend, but its currently 40 degrees now with a high expected of 63. Same for tomorrow...

Kay

Old 02-19-04, 11:26 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
The weather has been unpredictable here lately too, but then again it usually is this time of year. We had a freeze warning last night, but the high for tomorrow is 74. No wonder everyone is sniffling and coughing. Another week or two and we'll probably be getting the kind of weather where you run the heater at night and the air during the day.

Old 02-20-04, 05:12 AM
So true. Not quite that warm here, but had the windows open yesterday and then the heat on last night.

And yes, it does have us sniffling and coughing, too.

Kay

Old 02-20-04, 06:49 AM
supersteve
Visiting Guest
sniffling and coughing? Hahahahahahahahaha. You guys crack me up!!!!

Try a canadian winter on for size and you tellme whose sniffling and coughing.hahahahahayou guys are so funny!

a warm day in the winter for us is about 15 degrees.

a cold day is about -1

Old 02-20-04, 06:58 AM
I couldn't stand it. Then again, if it stayed one temp here for any length of time it would help.

Layering is a must here during the 'winter'. You may start the day with a coat, hat and gloves but end up in the afternoon in shorts and short sleeves. Hard to adjust and cope with the weather like this.

My poor sinus' would probably fair better with cold weather that stuck around. You with think with the changes in the barametric (?) pressure here that my sinus' would be in great shape! All that shrinking, swelling, shrinking, etc but nope. It just makes them sore and me vunerable to sinus infections.

Kay

Old 02-20-04, 08:39 PM
supersteve
Visiting Guest
Layering here for us is a t-shirt, long sleeve shirt and a sweater over top. Then we add a heavy down filled coat with a scarf, touque and wind proof gloves. That's just the top half. I usually go with joggers under jeans, 2 pair of socks and water proof insulated boots. By the afternoon, I loose the scarf. Depending on the windchill factor too. I've been up here all my life and it isn't cold enough for me. The wife and I want to retire in the woods as far north ontario as we can get. Ilove the snow and the cold. The colder the better. There's nothing like waking up in the morning 45 mile an hour winds windchill factor down to 0 or -32 and finding 8 inches of snow burying your car. It makes hot coffee worth the money and energy. I guess it gets colder out west in the prairies. A normal winter is around -40 or colder. Plus since it's all open space (all fields) the wind really rips through you. You can have your fun in the sun, but I have more fun on a snowmobile with 3 feet of fresh powder and wearing allmy clothes at the same time. I'm not knocking you. I'm just comparing lifestyles. It makes the chat more interesting, I guess.

Think of me when you're sunbathing next week. And I'll think of you when I'm building the town's biggest snowman.hehe

Old 02-20-04, 09:32 PM
I do wonder what it would be like to live where it actually snowed. I'm sorry that I never got to visit my brother when he was living in Alaska. He loved it, even if there were times his tires froze to the street.

My dream vacation would be to go to Montana. I may be off base but I picture snow, mountains and cattle. Don't ask, just thinking of something bigger and better than Texas - which I adore but has strange weather like we do LOL.

I haven't ever experienced a real snow, and the time I went snow skiing they had to blow snow on the mountain since it was too warm (Gatlinburg, TN).

How do you walk with all those clothes on? I guess I'm just too southern. I hate having to change purses because my summer purse strap won't stay on my shoulder because of the bulk of my coat

I rarely spend time at any beach since we're not close to one. I just swelter here in the midsouth's beloved humidity during the summer and pray the a/c will work another year!

Kay

Old 02-20-04, 10:46 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I hear ya about the sinus troubles. I've spent some time in winter in New Jersey and Massachusetts and the cold is different there. It doesn't bother me. Maybe because it just stays cold instead of going from 32 to 70 in a matter of hours like it does here. I think that's what makes the nose run. Then in the spring the pollen gets ahold of me and won't let go for about 3 months. And I work mostly outdoors. Makes me want to wear a gas mask, lol.

Old 02-21-04, 07:03 AM
Grace Elliott
Visiting Guest
Montana, purse strap & buffalos

I've been enjoying your comments-can id w/kaybyrd-would love to see Montana-esp. the maligned buffalo lately My trips to the local zoo here by myself to stare at the buffalos is one thing-but to see the mountains in Montana (I've seen some in Anaheim, Ca.) but I bet they're no comparison. Anyway, the older I get, the more I love the cold and can acclimate easier. Wish I could be funny for you guys, but I can't for what's happening to the buffaloes-seriously-they're gorgeous creatures-but I don't understand the mindset of the Montana cattle people, I guess...

Old 02-21-04, 07:15 AM
Grace Elliott
Visiting Guest
...better add that it's not the cattlemen's fault (slaughter of so many buffaloes) it's the legislature, etc. Just in case somebody comes down to get me from Montana

Old 02-21-04, 07:16 AM
I would love to see some flat, uninhabited land. Also some mountains without houses, apartments and hotels dotted on them.

I didn't like Oklahoma much because when I drove through there the wind was blowing so hard I had trouble keeping the car on the road. Arizona and New Mexico were beautiful!

I didn't really get to explore since we drove straight to Vegas and back within 3 1/2 days. I really have no idea what Montana looks like. The term: Big Sky has me wanting to go see it though.

I like the cold weather. I just wish that it would stay one temp or the other here longer. I like the milder weather here due to heating costs, but then again our homes were built with this type weather in mind, too.

Kay

Old 02-21-04, 07:47 AM
Grace Elliott
Visiting Guest
...news update-separating fact from feelings...the buffalo are being slaughtered by the wild life agency as well as cattlemen..anyone for going to Montana to build fences? My husband said "alright"

Old 02-21-04, 08:08 AM
Steve:

How do you get around when there is 8" of snow on your car? I guess you adjust to your environment. I think it would be neat to live that way, though. A natural challenge LOL. A challenge for me is relearning how to drive my car on ice. I miss my truck! I don't think I'm going to have to worry about it unless something drastic happens. The snow we had last weekend lasted all of 4 or 5 hours and the streets were dry again and the temps got up into the low 50's. Go figure.

I haven't built a snowman in years! Last year the snow we got wasn't powdery enough to do anything. It turns to ice so quickly that you can really hurt someone chunking iceballs!

Now I'm wanting to go visit Ontario! I just need some really warm clothes and a passport to get back home, right?

Grace:

I'm not discounting your posts or your feelings. However I'm trying to focus on the good things in life. There are so many wrongs in the world today whether it be our wildlife, our land usage, the way people treat other people...the list could go on forever and I could probably get myself suicidal over it all if I focus on all the negatives in the world today.

I have to focus on the positives that I see or I will lose hope.

Have a great weekend everyone! Find one good thing in your life to smile about and you can make a difference in the world. A positive difference.

Kay

Old 02-21-04, 03:59 PM
supersteve
Visiting Guest
The first thing I do is pull out my snow brush. It's a long stick about 2 feet long with bristles on one end running up the side for about 8 inches and a scraper on the other end. The scraper is a piece of plastic with an edge about4 inches wide. I scrape the snow off the entire car, and use the scraper to scrape ice off the windows. Then I turn on the rear window defogger to heat up the window to keep more ice from forming. I trust you know what a rear window defogger is. Yeah, you do adjust to your environment, but when you are born into it, it makes life seem more interesting. You know comparing with people of past years and former snow storms. It is cool. No you don't need a passport. Just your driver's license and birth certificate to cross the border. Just tell the border guy you are going to visit a friend in toronto. He'll let you go with no questions. Oh yeah our gas prices just went up a bit. We pay 73.9 cents per litre. According to US conversions thats a bit over3 dollars a gallon. And you guys say 1.50 per gallon is expensive? Buy a tank uphere! I have a 57.5 litre tank and it costs 35 - 40 dollars to fill. Right now that's normal around here. Ontario is beautiful to visit, but gas up before you leave the US. your best bet is to come through Detroit and take the bridgeor tunnel. you'll see alot of Ont. that way, and you can start at the bottom and work your way up. God luck and safe travels!