Bad Tasting Foods

Old 04-30-04, 11:04 AM
Unhappy Bad Tasting Foods

What's the nastiest thing you've eaten?

I will try anything. I've accidentally drank sour milk from the jug before and that was bad, not long ago I took a swig of apple juice that taste like it was ferminted. Food wise I've had some nasty stuff to. I'm from central KY origionally and a regular item in my family was pickled peaches that everyone seems to love. I finally tried one and about spillt my cookies. Another time I dated this girl and she made some kind of dish that tasted poorly and smelled bad.

Last edited by Sharp Advice; 04-30-04 at 11:54 AM. Reason: Poor Choices Of Words.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-30-04, 11:32 PM
tae
When i was 4, i ate a live cricket. Kinda prickly going down. Rather have pickled peaches any day! lol

Of couse, picking up your can of pop and taking a big swallow, only to find out one of your friends used it for an ashtray kinda sucks too.

Old 05-01-04, 01:58 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
How about a near-miss? I went to a family function. One of my wife's relatives made a dish that I almost got. It looked good...kinda like meatloaf with some kind of cheesy topping. I grabbed the spoon, started to dish some onto my plate as I asked my wife what it was supposed to be. She said "broccoli casserole". The spoon went back. Broccoli casserole isn't supposed to remotely resemble meatloaf.

When I was a kid, my mom made me eat dog food. Bet you're wondering now, huh? She caught me making my little brother eat it. Served me right.

I tried to eat a chitterling. I couldn't swallow it. NEVER AGAIN! I should have known by the smell.

I ate a piece of what I was told was the "worlds hottest pepper". I'm not sure what the name was, but it almost put me on the floor.

Old 05-01-04, 05:57 AM
I accidently put a cig in my friends pop once he took a swig and spit it across the room.

Chitlins is probably one of the things I have no desire to try. I've smelled them and seen them and I know alot of people that eat them all the time. Pig guts Nah I don't think so. Wrap my sausage's with them or stomach linings whatever they use but no chits for me. I gave my wifes little brother a jerky treat once for a dog. He ate it and said it was good till my wife exposed me. Myself I've eaten dogfood on dares before as a kid.

Old 05-01-04, 06:45 PM
Chapol-99
Visiting Guest
Haggis?

When in Scotland I had Haggis...still don't know what it is, and it didn't taste all that bad. But everyone was watching my reaction when I ate it.

Ate dog biscuits and raw hot dogs when I was a kid. You do a lot of dumb things when you're a kid.

How about fried ants, or omigas(sp.), from South America? There not as bad as they sound either.

Old 05-02-04, 07:41 AM
I used to love raw hotdogs.

I'm going to tell you guys something my wife made once and if she reads this I may wake up with a horse head in my bed "she comes from an old Italian family". There's this dish they make called tomato pie. Hmmm don't sound bad does it. Till you take a bite that is. DISGUSTING! Heres this big Italian dinner with Vinnie,Johnnie etc.. you get the picture? Their all digging this pie and in my opinion it's bad "it really is". Found out later it's made with tomatoes,cheese and mayonase and baked.

Old 05-02-04, 06:28 PM
Pickled Oysters (Swedish). My farther said: "try this".

I felt it slime its way down...; then it bottomed out; then it reversed course, sliming its way back up and out. Cross a salty off-flavored-pickel and a snot wade with a heavy fungus-musk flavor.

Recently, on Ripleys Believe It or Not, "The Man with the cast iron stomach" ate some disgusting things, including live maggots and a piece of cow-patty. The woman in the front row was the star. He ate. She vomited. Everyone in the audience was green. (Viewing recommended, if you're not squeamish).

Old 05-09-04, 05:10 PM
Bad tasting foods

It was 2nd Grade. A nickel was hard to come by. I had one. At recess, I decided I'd but my nickel in the milk machine and punch the button for a chocolate milk. I never got chocolate milk at home, so this was going to be a luxury. I opened the little carton, took a big swig, and it was spoiled. To this day, I always sniff my milk like crazy before I taste it or cook with it.

Old 05-10-04, 06:20 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I was in about 2nd grade myself when I got thirsty one night - I asked my Dad for some juice and he grabbed a small blue cup of "Apple Juice" out of the fridge - handed it to me and I proceeded to take a biiiig gulp...

Two seconds later I was spitting half the cup across the floor - as well as throwing the rest of the cup down - it was White Vinegar.

I was screaming and yelling at my Dad for 2 days over that - I thought he had done it on purpose

We all still get a kick out of that from time to time.

Old 05-12-04, 05:53 AM
Group Moderator
Vegemite (Australian) yeast extract spread; I think only Aussies can actually eat it due to some genetic cause.

And haggis is stuffed sheep stomache (stuffed with other sheep organs). Ditto on the genetic theory. Hoot mon, any good Scot could tell you that!

The_Tow_Guy
Clan MacGregor

Old 05-14-04, 11:06 AM
Thumbs down

i've got one.....

if i'm eating meat of any kind (steak or chicken, but mostly it happens with hamburger), inevitably i'll "hit" some sort of objectionable "thing" (fat that didn't get cut off, grissle, bone, tooth, whatever). i absolutely canNOT continue to eat it, so i have to <politely, mind you> remove the offending piece from my mouth and set it aside on my plate. these incidents practically ruin the rest of the meal for me, but i try to continue on. so i'll resume eating the meal, maybe get distracted with conversation and what not, and then once again "hit" something disgusting. i'll think to myself "good lord! again?!?! why me?!" and then i'll realize......i've RE-EATEN the original nasty chunk!!!

now THAT'S disgusting!

Old 05-15-04, 05:07 AM
I always wondered what vegemite was. I remember that 80's song "I come from the land down under" ..."I said, do you speaka my language. He just smiled and gave me a vegemite sandwich."

Old 06-10-04, 10:01 AM
Talking

Originally Posted by SafeWatch
I was in about 2nd grade myself when I got thirsty one night - I asked my Dad for some juice and he grabbed a small blue cup of "Apple Juice" out of the fridge - handed it to me and I proceeded to take a biiiig gulp...

Two seconds later I was spitting half the cup across the floor - as well as throwing the rest of the cup down - it was White Vinegar.

I was screaming and yelling at my Dad for 2 days over that - I thought he had done it on purpose

We all still get a kick out of that from time to time.
umm yea - he did not do it on purpose...

Old 06-10-04, 10:10 AM
hellooo!?!

yeah! it was an accident! yeah, that's the ticket! cuz, we all leave uncovered drinking cups full of white vinegar in the fridge all the time! sure! it was an accident!

a-hem..........NOT!!!

Old 06-10-04, 03:08 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
When I was a teenager, I was a real slob (not like I am now )

I used to have pop cans everywhere. Once, when I was cleaning, I found a Sprite can that was still somewhat full. I have no idea how long it was there. I tilted it back, took a big swig and spit it out immediately.

Along with the Sprite that I spit came several ants (alive). Then, the rest came running out of the can. That sucked...

Chris

Old 10-09-04, 06:12 PM
Cherylau
Visiting Guest
Got to say one thing - yummmmm vegemite. Yes I'm an Aussie and I grew up with the stuff. Though there was a time when we must have got a bad batch of it - tasted yeasty and beery at the same time. Most people try it the wrong way - the best way to eat it is on a sandwich with lots of butter, as you spread a thinish layer of vegemite you mix it with the butter. Unless you are a seasoned vegemite eater - never, ever eat it straight out of the jar on a spoon, you will look like this . Even most Aussies can't or won't do that. I'm not one of them .

Was forced to eat Haggis once, it didn't taste bad, actually was quite tasty but it's the thought of what was in it is what keeps me away from it.

Old 10-09-04, 06:56 PM
SalvageCzar
Visiting Guest
Thumbs down

I'm 85 years old, and I have two stories. First; Back in the 20s, when I was a small child, I had an Aunt and an Uncle living out in the Sheepshead Bay section of Brooklyn. We used to visit them quite often on Sundays and I loved the trolley rides. I liked that area ... it was near the ocean ... it had farms, and my Aunt and Uncle raised chickens. There were always fresh eggs and hundreds of small chicks. One small fenced-in pen in their big back yard was home to "Oscar" ... a pig. I got a kick feeding him. One Sunday we went to visit and sat down for Sunday dinner ... only to find a freshly roasted Oscar our main course. I didn't eat that day and have never eaten pork since. Second; While in New Guinea during WW2 the only supply boat to make it ashore had nothing but Spam aboard. I haven't eaten any of that since then either.

Old 10-09-04, 10:07 PM
Boy does this bring back memories. I loved my Mom, but she wasn't a good cook, 6 kids, and for most of the time I was growing up one or both Grandmothers lived with us. The wife and I came home to visit once after I'd been in the Air Force for 3 years. Mom asked what I wanted for breakfast, "whatever Dad had" I said. "Oh, your Dad had SOS, and I know you don't like that"! "Oh no Mom, now I really do".

Unfortunately my Mom's idea of SOS was to; (1) put two pieces of bread in the toaster about a week before they're needed, (2) warm some milk in a pan for about 5 seconds-get it about 10 degrees above room temperature, (3) put two scraggly pieces of the Armour brand sliced dried beef (still about the best thing for making SOS) in the warm milk, (4) put the lukewarm mess over the pieces of cold, rockhard toast. I looked at it, gave it to the dog, who sniffed it a bit before she ate it.

I loved my Mom, and love good SOS to this day, but she couldn't make it edible for me.

The second was when my wife and I lived in Germany, we were invited to a special New Years day dinner at our landlord's. They were about our parents age and they kind of adopted us for the first 3 years we lived there. So we sat down to dinner, (keep in mind I'm the most "whitebread" kid from the suburbs you ever saw. But I understand the cultural significance of special foods on New Years, ie; blackeyed peas and cornbread.

We had potatoes with parsley (yummy), parsnips (which neither of us had ever had) which were OK with lots of salt (would've been better with some tabasco) and a great looking fish. Loaded up my plate with some of all three, the first taste of the fish was a bit STRONG and NOT VERY APPETIZING. Complimented my hostess and asked what kind of fish, and how was she able to get such good fish this time of year so far from the ocean. "OH, IT'S CARP, specifically from the 'Lauter' (local river)". "It's good luck to eat a 'Lauter Carp' on New Years"

The only thing "lucky" about eating that carp was that the rest of the year had to be an improvement. The only way we were able to get it down was to take a small piece of carp, a bit of parnips, and a large portion of potatoes and get it all down at once.

After that we always passed on the New Years day celebration. "Sorry we're too busy puking from all the partying last night". But we did introduce them to pork ribs done on the grill, deviled eggs and RICE CRISPY SQUARES. So the entire cultural exchange thing worked quite well.

Frank

Search this Thread