I have a whine... About GAS PRICES!

Old 05-12-04, 01:31 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I have a whine... About GAS PRICES!

Ok... I just paid $37.12 to fill my Intrepid with 89 octane. And if that weren't enough, my 1984 VW hippy bus just ran me $51.22. ARGH!

This just won't do. I ordered a Prius 2 months ago, and I hope it gets in soon...

Chris

Sponsored Links
Old 05-12-04, 02:47 PM
Super Moderator
Thumbs down

You think you got a whine!

I filled my 4x4 gas burner for $102.00 and my wife's Caravan for $44.00....... on the same day!!!

Old 05-12-04, 03:32 PM
How much are your fuel prices right now? I don't get around much so haven't had to fuel up myself lately. DH takes care of that since he's got the car all the time.

The lowest I've found here is $1.89 for 87 Octane. I'm thinking the gas prices must be higher since to fill my old 4X4 gas burner would have been $60.48 (if it was empty).

Kay

Old 05-12-04, 04:36 PM
I bought 24 gallons for 1.799 tonight.

Old 05-12-04, 04:48 PM
Super Moderator
Where I am in Northern Canada. our fuel price is 89 cents/litre or about $3.40 CDN/US gal or about $2.55 US.

Old 05-12-04, 05:28 PM
Originally Posted by GregH
You think you got a whine!

I filled my 4x4 gas burner for $102.00
What gas tank size is THAT?!

Old 05-12-04, 05:28 PM
Originally Posted by chfite
I bought 24 gallons for 1.799 tonight.
What I wouldn't give to live in SC then!

Old 05-12-04, 06:07 PM
Super Moderator
30 Gallon.

Makes me feel better when I can say I go a long while on a tank of gas.

Old 05-12-04, 08:03 PM
30 Gallon.

Makes me feel better when I can say I go a long while on a tank of gas.
Might I ask what make/model vehicle has a tank that large? Is it a dual tank truck?

Chris

Old 05-12-04, 08:23 PM
Ouch, ouch and double ouch, on the gas prices. But guess what boys and girls, it's not going to get any cheaper, and LOTS of reason why.

1. Worldwide demand is growing. Sure lots of people around the world say that they don't like us or our lifestyle, but as their economies grow they imitate us as much as possible. And one of the ways they imitate us is the great mobility freedom that private cars afford. As molre people in China, India and other lesser developed countries buy cars, demand increases.

2.We've got really short term memory problems. The first oil embargo/shortage was following the Yom Kippur War in late 1973. We started making some slight adjustments in the type of cars we drove and we started other conservation methods. 1979, same thing, into the '80s and more of the same.

From 1974 to 1991 the fuel economy of the "national fleet" of cars on the road in the US increased dramatically. Had the increases continued at the same rate today we would be importing little or no oil from the Middle East. Unfortunately US car manufacturers discovered that converting a pickup truck into a sport ute at an increased cost of less than $1,000 allowed them to charge $10K-$15K more for it. Couple that with an intensive advertising campaign and, viola, everyone is driving sport utes that get mileage similar to what big Fords and Chevys were getting in the mid '70s. So US demand has been increasing.

Petroleum is a FINITE resource. No on is making any more. All of the old forests and dinosaurs that died to make our current supply have been dead for millions of years. There probably aren't any more significant finds left on this old globe. There might be, but the geologists and geophysicists that work for the oil companies are pretty good at their jobs. If it's there to be found they've probably already done so.

Oil companies have discovered that WE WON'T CHANGE OUR DRIVING HABITS BELOW $3.50-$4.00 PER GALLON. So why would they charge less. Sure we're all complaining, some of us are buying Prius', but looking around my neighborhood the most popular vehicles are; Suburban, Tahoe, F250 pickup (it seems like an F150 isn't sufficient any more!), big GM/Chevy pickup.

I was lucky enough to live in Germany from '71-76 and for some of that time had no military connection. I was paying about $1.75/gallon IN 1975. So today's prices are historically high, but I haven't owned a car that got less than 20 mpg in 40 years. We have 3 cars now and they all get 25 mpg or more on the road.

BTW, I may live in Texas but I'm one of three residents that have NEVER had any connection to the oil business, so I'll not apologize for them. They're as good or bad as any other collection of business people in any other industry. One big difference is they stick together, pool their money and BUY OR RENT THE BEST POLITICIANS THEY CAN FIND. Which is the final contributing factor to our present woes. But I don't want to get onto a political slant on this.

Frank

Old 05-12-04, 08:29 PM
WorldBuilder: my 79 fullsize 4x4 Blazer had a 32 gallon tank. I sold it because not only could I afford 15 miles to the gallon, but couldn't afford to mud in it either. My toy wasn't fun anymore just expensive to drive and break LOL.

My DH has my vehicle right now, but it gets 28 miles to the gallon when I'm driving it (he loads it up with supplies).

Kay

Ps. Those SUV's with the higher price tag get about 15 mpg too. Some do get better gas mileage, but they aren't 'real' SUV's.

K.

Old 05-12-04, 08:57 PM
Super Moderator
Chris,

'88 Dodge, 3/4 ton, 4wd, 318 comes with a 25 gal tank as standard, mine is the optional 30 gal size. Ramchargers come with 35 gal as standard.

Old 05-12-04, 10:00 PM
Guess Chevy had to be different. The spec label in the glove box said mine was 32, but it never held that much. Unless...it had something to do with the dent I put in the tank LOL?

Kay

Old 05-13-04, 03:28 AM
Sheez...

Time to upgrade, Greg! All I know is that this is only going to get worse. I'm waiting for $3 a gallon, 'cause I know it's coming soon...

Chris

Old 05-13-04, 05:05 AM
Group Moderator
Okay all you whiners, anybody want to trade gas bills with ME? LOL

Prices running $1.91-2.00 range and I top off every night on the way home, about $40 worth. On heavy days sometimes have to fill up during the day, EVERY DAY! Just had to raise our mileage charge, doo-doo rolls down hill; sorry all you tow-ee's.

Old 05-13-04, 05:12 AM
Super Moderator
Chris,

I just did.............from a carburated one ton dually @ 8 mpg!
This fuel injected Dodge surprises me in that it gets between 16 -18 mpg on the highway.
I cringe each time I have to pay the sultan but it's some consolation that I need this vehicle for work.

The wife hasn't quite gotten over me taking her Caravan on a few out of town service calls.

Old 05-13-04, 05:33 AM
tow_guy,

I was wondering about your tow service and how much it was costing you to operate.

Kay

Old 05-13-04, 10:09 AM
Group Moderator
LOL, a LOT!

We burn probably 800-900 gals of gas a month in our two gas-powered wreckers and maybe 100 gal of diesel in the flatbed. That and insurance are the two major overhead items, not counting the trucks themselves. Add to that cell phones and other odds & ends and it makes you want to scream when people can't understand why you can't tow their car for $20.

Old 05-13-04, 10:17 AM
Comments..

World demand is growing, by leaps and bounds in some areas. Conserve all you want, demand will still go up and the law says that when demand goes up, so does the price.

Despite the rising gas prices and slew of complaints, very, very few people are changing what or how they drive.

Crude oil is a finite resource, not only that, the people who produce it know someday they will be out of business forever. Would you dump your supply on the market to keep prices down, or dole it out and continue your profits for a few more years?
There are more oil reserves, but they will cost MORE when tapped as other supplies run out.

Aside from that and the 'I don't care what other people are paying' mentality, the US still has the lowest gas prices on the planet. Subtract the 50 cents or so a gallon that's just taxes, and it's even cheaper.

Will you change your driving habits when it costs you $20 just to go cross town to the mall in your 10 mpg SUV? How about $250 to fill the tank?
Why do you think bicycles, mopeds and motorcycles are so common overseas? It's not just the traffic, they are cheaper to operate. Some areas are now surcharging cars (but not motorcycles) to drive into the city.

My motorcycle gets about 42 mpg, the one I had before it got 70. I'll skip the spiel about why motorcycles are better than cars.

Here's another eye opener, when fuel costs rise, the costs of _everything else_ rises. The trucks that deliver the goods to your local store have to buy fuel too. So, start looking for small increases in the price of items you purchase everyday.

Want more? The price your paying for fuel now is an estimate of what it will cost tomorrow to replace the fuel you bought today. Gas prices typically go UP in the summer season, which has only just started, so you can absolutely expect prices to continue to increase.

Old 05-14-04, 06:50 AM
A couple of more thoughts on this subject.

A lot of the "cost" of a gallon of gas is transferred away from gasoliine by our politicians. The cost of operating much of the US Navy, Army, Marine Corps, Air Force and Coast Guard is directly attributable to protecting the oilfields, pipelines and governments of Middle Eastern oil producers. Same thing for keeping the sea lanes open to insure the safe arrival of that oil on US shores.

About 40% of what we use is imported, not all from the Middle East, Mexico, South America and the rest of Africa contribute a lot. Regardless a lot of the cost of our military is oil related. We took even 1/2 of the Defense Deparment budget out of the general fund and put it directly on a gallon of gas, we'd all really yell.

A lot of people think that conservation won't and can't work. Unfortunately many of these people occupy high positions in Washington DC and their thought processes may be influenced by the industry from which they came. However, it's been proven that conservation can work. One example of this occured in California.

In 2000 California suffered from some bad electricity shortage (which has been all but proven to have been deliberately supplier induced, but that's an argument for another time and place). At the time there was much hot air being made by conservative talk show nuts that it was "all the fault of the tree huggers, Californian hadn't built any new power plants in 10 years" or some such. What they didn't point out was that the power that be; government, industry, electricity providers, looked at sources of demand and balanced the cost of reducing demand with the cost of building new plants. Guess what won?

In the area that I lived the following were made available. No cost, low cost, or subsidized loans for upgrading home insulation, what you got depended on income. We got no cost, "low flow" toilets, shower heads and sink aerators. Pumping of water is one of, if not the, largest consumers of electricity in California. About this time we moved from California so I'm not sure what else may have been done. I do recall once the governor at the time being on a radio call-in show saying that the re-insulation of homes and offices, along with a few other items made the difference over 20 years, OF NOT HAVING TO BUILD 5 MORE NUCLEAR POWER PLANTS.

So, check your attic insulation, and your water faucets. Even if your neighbors aren't. Everyone do your part.

Frank

Old 05-14-04, 07:47 AM
re: taking wife's vehicle

My husband and I are in a 'spot' right now. We have to make a decision and its got to be within the next week. Along with what everyone has posted about the gas prices, we are faced with making a choice.

Mike has been driving my wagon back and forth to work. He has to until we can find him a work vehicle. The requirement is it has to be able to tote an 8' ladder. Yahoo! This wagon totes an 8' on top, and two 6' inside. However, a Ford Taurus wagon isn't designed for this type loads and we are killing this poor car.

We have to take into account when deciding what to buy: how much it will hold on one trip to the site AND the fuel mileage. We can buy a work van, 1/2 ton or 3/4 ton. This would eliminate the need for multiple trips to the shop for supplies. However, a small truck with a ladder rack attached to the top of the 'topper' would be more fuel efficient but doesn't always have enough room to carry the necessary supplies to the job site and means yet another trip. The smaller truck is already set up for this type work, and has the rear suspension modified for extra loads. This one belongs to the company he works for and they are selling them.

I'm leaning toward the smaller truck with the topper. Not every job requires a lot of materials so the need for space isn't always a constant factor.

Any recommends?

Kay

Ps. He said that its costing him about $20 to fill up the wagon, and he fills up 3-4 times a week.

K

Old 05-14-04, 11:47 AM
i would get the small truck for its economy and buy a small [4x8] trailer for the few times the truck cant handle your loads. ive seen used trailers pretty cheap.

Old 05-14-04, 08:42 PM
Originally Posted by kerry
i would get the small truck for its economy and buy a small [4x8] trailer for the few times the truck cant handle your loads. ive seen used trailers pretty cheap.
Absolutely! That's what both my brother and I do. He races motorcycles and mainly uses it for that, but he uses it all the time for other things. His trailer is huge, though. Mine is smaller, but large enough to lay drywall sheets flat.

Chris

Old 05-14-04, 09:22 PM
Mike & I talked about it tonight and have decided the smaller truck is the way to go. If we decide later that a trailer is necessary then we will look into that as well.

Thanks!

Kay

Old 05-15-04, 05:03 AM
Chris,

'88 Dodge, 3/4 ton, 4wd, 318 comes with a 25 gal tank as standard, mine is the optional 30 gal size. Ramchargers come with 35 gal as standard.
I had an 87' Power Ram. I sure miss that truck but not the 10 miles per gal.

Old 05-15-04, 08:22 AM
Admin Emeritus
Thumbs up Accurate & Excellent Points Made

Hello: Frank (slumlord)

Very well explained Frank.

For those not living in the "Shake & Bake" state, all the points made are very true and accurately correct. Simply not enough gasoline producing facilities in the state for the demand made. And not likely to be more built.

Not in the best interests of the companies currently producing gasoline to do so. Too costly to do so. Excessive regulations are just one of many reasons. Air quality controls are very tight in this state.

Thus low emission fuels must be used. Not easy nor cheaply possible to produce. Outside state sources are not permitted to transport fuel into the state either.

The states leaders failed to provide for the current residents back years ago to have enough gas available for the growth of the population. And the fuel producing companies and the air quality departments both have a lock on the states abilities to produce more fuel by almost any means.

All of which is and was short sighted in the planning stages years ago. The result of which are now being felt. Also not in the produces best interests either. Tight demands, for any reasons, including short oil supplies, raised oil prices, increased demands, etc all play key factors to higher prices.

And the rise in prices, however and as a result of any cause to or for higher prices at the pumps, really has no end in sight....

Higher oil prices benefit many. Higher prices at the producer levels increases profit margins also mean higher state revenues in sales taxes to both the state and the federal government, etc. Investors love it. Users hate it.

Personal example:
Dodge Durango. 5.2 liter V-8. Fuel capacity, 26 gallons stock single tank.
Current cost to fill'er up...$58 to $60 bucks.

Average miles per gallon. 16 to 17.5 no loads, highway traveling.

City driving about 14-15 miles per gallon, light on the foot, once speed reached. 5-6 to obtain city road speed, easy on acceleration.

Towing, 12 miles per gallon at road speeds. 2-3 miles per gallon and up to obtain road speeds. Down to about average of 5-8 miles per gallon on hills or inclindes, while towing.

Towing.
1)
Bring plenty of "Pocket" Cash."
2)
Have "Debit Card" handy.
3)
Neither of the above:
Have "Credit Card" handy.
4)
None of the above:
Ride the "Wave" till better times arrive.
Stay close to home or just stay home...

Summations:

Prefer big vehicles.
Pay the fuel costs. "Grin and Bare It."

Current conditions and or fuel prices are not likely to change much, excpet do up higher, in the future. Dispite any positive news provided by any sources. Nice to hear positive news now and than to soften the impacts which may and are likely to result later. The end is not insight.

FYI:
Boaters pay dearly too.
Row Row Row your boat....
Have fun. Pay the fuel costs. "Grin and Bare It."

Good Luck & Safe Boating. Sharp Advice. Life Long Boating, Fishing and Navigation Enthusiast. Web Site Host, Forums Monitor & Multiple Topics Moderator.

Last edited by Sharp Advice; 05-15-04 at 08:34 AM.
Old 05-15-04, 08:32 AM
General Aviation (indeed all of aviation) pays dearly.. AvGas is about $3.75 a gallon now.

Old 06-10-04, 09:55 AM
Bump

thought i'd share a few thoughts because our local paper carried a story a few days ago that prices would drop to about $1.75 (national avg 87 octane) in a few weeks. i have head this off an on and every time we see no price decreases. but should we?

gas in the US is cheap relative to other countries. a large portion of the price is taxes (especially in NY where i am). current local price is $2.15 - down a few cents from last week.

inflation adjusted prices are still lower today than the 70s.

keep in mind that a gallon of other non-essential stuff is far more expensive than gasoline. e.g. coffee, soda, water, etc.

i do think oil firms (and local stations) are making a lot of $ now since we are all led to believe prices should be so high by the media but can you blame them..... i'd make as much as i could too if i were in their shoes. prices rise fast upon bad news but they fall very slowly.

all in all i do not think prices are too bad but certainly i want them to be as low as possible. i do feel bad for those who jobs require the use of an excess amount of gasoline, but most can pass the cost onto someone else.

Old 06-10-04, 01:41 PM
Gas prices have been $1.89 here lately, but I did find gas for $1.72 at Sam's Club yesterday.

Hopefully, as usual this time of year, gas prices will go back down somewhat.

Kay

Old 06-10-04, 03:00 PM
Still paying over $2.30 a gallon here...

Old 06-10-04, 03:12 PM
After hearing of gas prices like yours, I've been watching! Luckily we haven't ever reached the $2 mark here. Will happen one of these days, but if the pattern holds true then by the end of summer we will go back down to $1.50 +/- a gallon.

When I went to Vegas it amazed me how gas prices range across the country. Some places we stopped to fuel up was at $1.75, this not during a peak gas season.

Kay

Old 06-10-04, 09:39 PM
Internet Toy

http://www.gasbuddy.com/

Search this Thread