Rules for non-pet owners...

Old 05-19-04, 03:30 PM
Rules for non-pet owners...

who visit and like to complain about our pets.

1. The dogs lives here. You don't. If you don't get along with them, guess who's leaving?
2. If you don't want dog hair on your clothes, stay off the furniture.
3. I like my dogs a lot better than I like most people.
4. To you, she's a dog. To me, she's an adopted daughter who is short, hairy, walks on all fours and doesn't speak clearly.
5. Dogs are better than kids. They eat less, don't ask for money all the time, are easier to train, usually come when called, never drive your car, don't hang out with drug-using friends, don't smoke or drink, don't worry about buying the latest fashions, don't wear your clothes, don't need a gazillion dollars for college, and if they get pregnant, you can sell the pups.

The same applies to cats, except they ignore you until you are asleep.

Last edited by Davejb; 04-21-05 at 06:35 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-20-04, 05:22 AM
I needed that this morning LOL.

Old 04-09-05, 07:11 AM
Rules for visitors

I got a good one. If you know that there are pets at my home, then don't bring your pets and let him run nilly willy all over the place during your visit. When I have visitors and see that they have brought an animal with them, I tell them to leave him in the car or get him back in the car....pronto!

Old 04-09-05, 09:34 AM
Wow, that sounds just like some people and their kids. Its almost as they think "wow, I'm bored. So & so has a ______ and so do I. Maybe I could take my _____ over there and let them play with their ____ and it will keep them out of my hair."

That is very rude of them to do that to you. Animals behave differently in different environments and heaven knows what might happen between your pets and theirs! Not to mention that if the two pets start having too much fun together they might 'forget' the rules about the house and literally tear your house to pieces! Very rude!

Definitely worthy to add to the Rules for non-pet owners - and pet owners, too. Dave pointed out about how he feels about his dog, but some owners don't feel that close to their animals so they will also say things like about your pet being in the house or allowed to do things that they would never allow their pet to do.

Thanks for sharing that!

Kay

Old 04-09-05, 06:43 PM
People who visit and like to complain about our pets.

I've had quite a few times that someone thinks, oh, well, no roads to worry about, lots of animals on the property, come on Spanky, let's go pat the horses. Geez! I had one such dog whip around the house, surprise my puppy on the deck and he backed up right off of it and fell 20'! Another time, they let the dog go loose saying look at him run, he loves it...later that night they found a stick sticking out of his chest! The real winner was the vet who came out to vaccinate the horses with her little dog in tow, who ran around the horse's legs and made them nervous just when I didn't want them to be, plus they knew the dog didn't belong here. One of my horse's attacked him and rightly so, but I'm glad that he didn't get hurt. Never called that vet again! Talk about spreading disease from farm to farm to farm! Then there's the people who never take their animals home with them, cause they never intended to anyway. Then there were people who brought their kids to buy a puppy and the kid spies the horses and starts running for them while the parents just sit there and watch. I said..."That's a 1200 animal that your son is approaching, do you think that I can control that animal from here?" Geez! I make it a habit to meet people in the driveway from now on! And my cardinal rule? Don't ever, ever try to talk horses with a non-horsey person! I'm glad that my horse's eyes don't glaze over that quickly when I'm working with them! LOL! If people don't like your house, they don't have to come in now, do they? Heck, you probably don't want them there, if all you hear are complaints.

Old 04-09-05, 07:47 PM
Super Moderator
How about the person that invites you over to dinner and gives you that "aint this cute" look, while the poodle sits on her lap at the dinner table and shares her meal!

Old 04-09-05, 07:57 PM
Okay, that was gross!

That is unbelievable. I have seen people on TV do that, but was hoping that was just television.

My poor dog doesn't even come near us when we're eating. He learned the 'no beg' rule from day one!

I don't eat out of my dog's or cat's bowl, why should they eat out of mine.

Again, gross.

Kay

Ps. Missyclare: I don't have a problem with people bringing their dogs and leaving them, but do have a problem with relatives doing that with their children. I just love the "hey Kay, while the kids are playing do you mind if I run to the store real quick?" They don't tell me that they're heading to 15 different stores, to a party and will pick them up sometime next week LOL. Promise, had it happen a couple of times.

K.

Old 04-10-05, 06:56 AM
It's funny how when people see an open door with "advantage" written on it, they'll go thru it everytime with no concern to others. I sure never dumped my kids on anyone and still managed to get things done in life. Now that they are teenagers, the party seems to be always at my house. I think I've temporarily adopted about 5 more at one time or another. I recently tried to adopt a dog from the humane society and bonded with him, but they wouldn't let me have him because he wasn't a farm dog. After getting over my initial frustration, I could see their point and understood. I've had a lot of first hand experience with this kind of situation and agreed with their concerns. I ended up adopting a kitten on it's death bed and turned him around instead. He's not allowed on the kitchen table, but has a special place on the diningroom table that he's claimed,(when it's not in use) so I let it be.
I have a friend who has adopted 7 cats who have the run of her house and when I go in there, I'm thinking, uh, oh, if my husband saw that he'd freak! But it's not my house, not my rules and if I don't like it, I can just leave, certainly not start telling someone how to live their lives! Pets are needed more than ever these days. They love them a lot more and have put them in a higher place in the social order of things. Most of them love them too much and they are obese. Killing them with kindness. If I go to someone's house and see a dog jump up on the couch, I'm thinking, well, atleast he's fit enough to get up there...that's good!

Old 04-10-05, 11:46 AM
Dylan, the dog, does sleep in bed with us or the kids. He also can get on the couch, but not if we're snacking or eating while sitting there. He'll go get in another chair while we're doing that.

Boo, the cat, never gets on the table, but does sleep in the chairs when we're not eating or sitting there.

I did nip the 'kid leaving' asap. I don't see why people deem children so much trouble. I mean they are, but that's a part of being a parent. In contrast, I have a SIL that I have to practically steal her 4yo from her so that she and her DH can have a moment or two alone - maybe even a weekend alone. Susan just takes her responsibility of being mom very seriously and I respect that!

My house is a 'hot spot' for kids. I'd rather them be over here with my kids than me trying to figure out where in the heck my kids are. I've also noticed that some of these children are here very late at night, too. I wonder where they're parents are and why are they allowed to be out at 9, 10:00 at night - even if it is the weekend. Guess their parents don't care as long as they're home sometime? I try to get the kids to call their parents and let them know where they are. Usually they will call their parents, and their parents don't mind that they're still out that late?!? These are pretty good kids in spite of their situations.

Kay

Last edited by kaybyrd; 04-10-05 at 08:15 PM. Reason: can't spell
Old 04-10-05, 06:51 PM
I hear you about kids being there all the time and would prefer that to wondering where your kids are. A couple of them even call me Mom and give me a kiss goodbye too. I think they gravitate to places where they know that they can be in peace....and that's our houses! I live on the end of a dead end road...no neighbours and you certainly can't walk here, but some have. I think that most parents are glad to leave their kids out here because it sure is better than seeing them hanging out on the street. It seems that the social scene has settled at my house these last couple of years, though it wasn't always and I sure did my share of driving! Now I make the parents drive for a change! LOL!

To Davejb: When you think of the bigger picture, about people complaining etc., it doesn't matter whether it's in your home or whether it's a pet or a kid, come to think of it, this crap will find a way to you from someone complaining. Only you know what works for you and your pet and what makes you happy and how you want to run your household and must stand firm. Sometimes, it's not even worthwhile trying to explain it all to them, maybe a one line comeback that makes them be quiet and think for a change would be more in order. "Because this is what works for me....period." Oh, I just love it when someone tells me how to be a Mother! I just smile and leave the space entirely empty with no reply....letting them know...hey, you don't want to go there! Stand firm. Good luck, relax, enjoy and don't let them bother you anymore...Sometimes I think....gee... I'm glad I'm not married to them! LOL!

Old 04-18-05, 12:34 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
LMFAO at original post!!!

Old 04-21-05, 06:32 AM
I actually have 3 dogs, Dachshunds, all SPCA rescues. All 3 sleep in the bed, all 3 have the run of the house, all 3 do not get food from the table, all 3 have dog toys strewn all over the floor, and I would cause bodily harm to anyone that caused my dogs harm. Animals are innocent, people are idiotic morons (with some exceptions). And yes I'm the type that will slam on the brakes to avoid hitting a squirrel crossing the road!

Old 04-21-05, 02:19 PM
That reminded me...

The neighbors asked me why I was going so slow up the cove to my house and talking to myself.

I wasn't talking to myself, there were two quail in the road and I was 'talking' to them trying to get them to quit walking and move out of the road LOL. I guess the birds decided that the big green car was going to keep coming so they finally got in the grass!

I live 4 houses up into the cove and it took me a good 3 minutes to get there

Kay

Old 04-27-05, 12:44 PM
And I'm rather curious as to why my thread was moved from the pets section to here, if this post doesn't apply to pets I don't know what does.

Old 04-27-05, 12:47 PM
Originally Posted by missyclare
I got a good one. If you know that there are pets at my home, then don't bring your pets and let him run nilly willy all over the place during your visit. When I have visitors and see that they have brought an animal with them, I tell them to leave him in the car or get him back in the car....pronto!
My friends have learned not to bring their pets over, Dachshunds are small but they think they're the size of a lab, and they're very protective of their home, us, and each other.

Old 04-27-05, 12:54 PM
Super Moderator
Davejb,

I didn't move it but it was correct to do so.
The original post which was almost a year ago was not asking a question but rather offering an opinion on how people should relate to domestic animals.

More of a chatty post than an informational one.

Search this Thread