Small community theatre

Old 08-16-04, 11:48 AM
Small community theatre

I would like to encourage all of you to support your local community theatre, there may be some real talent hiding out there. Last year we moved from Houston to a town of about 5,000 with another 12-15,000 within another 15 miles. Right after we moved we went to see "The King and I" (musical) and were blown away by the singing talent as much as by the acting.

Our theatre puts on 5 plays per year and always tries to do a musical/and or something to involve lots of kids in the summer and again at Christmas. This summer they were doing "The Adventures of Tom Sawyer" musical. Since Mark Twain is one of my three favorite authors, and we both love musicals, my wife and I decided to try out for parts. When my wife heard the level of talent of the other ladies she crumpled up her application but I pressed on even though I can't carry a tune in a bucket.

The long and short of it is I've had a great summer. Since we don't have kids working with the 3 that are between 5 and 7 can be a bit trying but I just remember that they're kids, rely on the other kids to somewhat keep them in line and when their parents aren't looking give them a friendly, but very light, swat with my 2 foot ruler. I'm playing the mean, strict schoolteacher so I'm only staying in character when I do this.

I had never heard any of the music from this but virtually every song is a real toe tapper. Since it's mostly a comedy the audience really gets into it.

Anyway, that's my contribution to "back to school" week, (school starts early in Texas). Hope you all had fun summers!

Frank, aka Lemuel Dobbins

Sponsored Links
Old 08-16-04, 03:25 PM
We regularly attend the local high school plays and hold season tickets to the Carousel Dinner Theater, never been let down.

http://www.carouseldinnertheatre.com/

We get a great meal amd a great show.

Old 08-25-04, 06:41 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
The Charles' Playhouse in Boston has some awesome shows, the best of which is Blue Man Group.

Chris