This site installs spyware

Old 08-18-04, 06:43 AM
This site installs spyware

I just determined positively that this site installs spyware on my computer on every visit. I, for one, don't like that. I'm sure exposing this won't go over well but it's a dirty tactic.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-18-04, 06:57 AM
FragMePlease
Visiting Guest
Wow..

it took you 1,809 posts to figure it out?

Old 08-18-04, 08:01 AM
How about being more specific and identifying the specific spyware installed? And this really isn't the proper location for this post, Electric > Computers would be more appropriate.

Old 08-18-04, 09:36 AM
here's what i found...

...after scanning and getting rid of all spyware previously installed. i visited here and read one post and got this.

Vendor:Tracking Cookie
Categoryata Miner
Object Type:IECache Entry
Size:82 Bytes
Last Activity:8-18-2004 3:47:36 PM
Risk Level:Low
TAC index:3
Comment:Cookie:[email protected]/
Description:This cookie is known to collect information that may be used either for targeted advertising, or tracking users across a particular website, such as page views or ad click-thrus.

as for the appropriate place for this post...you must be kidding me...any user of this site should be made aware of spyware...it's a huge nuisance at the very least

here is the explanation of this type of spyware...

A tracking cookie is data stored on your computer in the form of a cookie and is shared between two or more websites to enable them to track your movements across the web. This will help them gather information about your interests and tailor special marketing for you and gather statistics when visiting their sites. While these tracking cookies are NOT in any way harmful for your computer you might feel they are an intrusion to your privacy.

i'm with desi...i don't like it

Old 08-18-04, 11:56 AM
Precisely!!!!!!!

Old 08-18-04, 01:12 PM
Nothing I would be concerned about personally, may likely be to keep track of your user/password if you use the option to stay logged in. You have the option to refuse any cookie placed on your system by changing a setting in IE, I wouldn't loose any sleep over it.

Old 08-18-04, 02:11 PM
NO,NO,NO.... It's there to track my movements and put me on mailing lists that result in spam. I can't change my settings to refuse cookies just for that reason, many cookies are useful and important. Using my own computer to spy on my movements in order to try to sell me something is not! This may be a free site but I'm not the one it's benefitting.

Old 08-18-04, 08:46 PM
Cool Spyware from this site?

You turned on your computer and the only site you accessed was this one so the spyware came from here? NOT NECCESSARILARY TRUE!
You can receive spyware whenever you are connected to the internet, even if you have no browsers loaded. If you have cable, DSL or anything else except POTS dialup 56K or less, you are always connected when your Operating System is booted. If you use MS Internet Explorer, try Netscape Communicator or Mozilla instead. The LINUX OS is just about bulletproof to spyware, virus, etc. Sadly, MS products appear to be more vunerable to spyware, pop-ups, viri and whatever else is lurking out there. If OS2 WARP
attracted unwanted and/or malicious software, IBM would have terminated the developers. Unfortunately, we need MS, even with it's shortcomings.

I am also a victim of spyware, but I don't blame the sites I access.

Old 08-18-04, 09:59 PM
Super Moderator
Nothing in life is free.

If you stop and consider all that is available on the internet for no financial cost, I think that a few tracking cookies is an extremely small price to pay.

I was stubborn and tried to keep an e-mail address for many years.
After signing onto a multitude of websites, I wound up receiving hundreds of junk-mails a day.
This made me have to change my pop address and get a Hotmail account for sign-ups.
I now only get a few junk e-mails a week.

Old 08-19-04, 03:34 AM
Originally Posted by GregH
If you stop and consider all that is available on the internet for no financial cost, I think that a few tracking cookies is an extremely small price to pay.
No, I don't see it that way at all. We are barraged with pop ups and advertising all over the site. That is the price we pay and THAT is acceptable. When it comes to secretly tracking my movements in order for someone else to fill my mailbox with junk just so I can help other people with their car problems is crossing the line.

And CybersaurusREXX, yes I am positive this site is doing it. I performed the same test as Carguyinva and got the same results. I frequent a number of other repair forums and do not have this problem at those sites. I think these tactics are totally deceptive and unecessary.

Old 08-20-04, 03:10 PM
Forums Admin
Visiting Guest
1st. This post can not stay here in the automotive forum; the post has nothing to do with automotive repair. Techically we have no forum that fits this post but I will allow it to exist in the Chats & Wines forum. So either the automotive Moderator moves it or I will delete it within 1 day. You all know the rules in regard to off topic subjects.

2nd. Everyone calm down. I understand your concern but your making a mountain out of a mole hill. Cookies are not spyware; spyware takes form of a program or a script that was installed on you computer. So to say we install spyware on any computer is a gross misstatement.

3rd. "You can receive spyware whenever you are connected to the internet, even if you have no browsers loaded."

You can not get spyware just by having your computer turned on doing nothing even while connected to the net; Its technically impossible. The only way such a thing is possible is:

1. You already have to have a program installed that downloads and installs the spyware.

2. A computer some where on the internet is actively looking for a computer with security hole to exploit for the purpose of installing the spyware.

In both cases no ligitimate company would do such a thing cause of the legal troubles it would generate.

4th. "It's there to track my movements and put me on mailing lists that result in spam."

No wrong. Let start with the tracking idea. While from a sofware development stand pont it is technically possible to use a cookie track a persons movements from site to site; the most popular web browsers are designed to prevent anyone from using cookies to track peope between web sites.

From a privacy point of view this issue is a old one and was settled long ago. Can you say privacy advocates, law suit, Congress, and Justice Department?

Tracking people within the same web site is a common and ligitimate use of cookies. Just as companies like doubleclick using cookies to determine clicks/click thru's so they know how much they and the advertiser should be paided or pay out for the advertisment.

As for the "put me on mailing lists that result in spam" they'd need your email address which can't be obtained without you providing it or by executing a script that gabs it from your computer.

I can say more but i'll let it slide.

Last edited by Forums; 08-25-04 at 09:07 AM. Reason: spelling errors
Old 08-20-04, 07:32 PM
The cookies that I receive from this site just track the visit, thread, activity record, and the password. These save time when you return to the forum. Without them, you would have to log in each time, dig through all the threads to be current, and look at all threads and posts as being new.

As far as spyware is concerned, none is set here. Simple tracking cookies just do what I mentioned.

The internet is rife with spyware and other forms of malware. I suggest a good cleaner program such as Ad Aware. This is the nature of the internet as we know it today. Programs such as Internet Explorer pick up more trash than others, and Windows is particularly well suited to this sort of exploit.

For those who are troubled by spyware and viruses, I suggest more prudent web surfing and system maintenance.

Old 08-21-04, 05:34 PM
Were it not for a tracking cookie, one would need to log in on each visit. It is there for our convenience.

Old 08-25-04, 04:24 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Yeah, everyone chill. It's not spyware.

Chris

Old 09-16-04, 08:09 PM
madd-ak
Visiting Guest
spyware

shucks, I'll just wear my tinfoil hat and "they" won't be able to find me.