For you Murray Fans

Old 11-19-04, 04:37 PM
For you Murray Fans

MILWAUKEE, WI October 18 -- Briggs & Stratton Corp. warned Monday that it expects to post a $1.5 million quarterly loss because it might not be able to collect part of $40 million from a key customer.

Following the surprise announcement, Briggs shares dropped 9.3%, to close at $71.26, down $7.34. The Wauwatosa company said its expected loss for the quarter that ended Sept. 30 will be about $1.5 million, or 6 cents a share, when it reports results Thursday.

Briggs is the world's largest manufacturer of small, air-cooled engines used in outdoor power equipment such as lawn mowers and snow blowers.

Before the announcement, analysts had expected the company to post a quarterly profit of about 25 cents a share.

Now, Briggs said it will beef up its reserve for uncollectible receivables by $10 million in the event that some of the $40 million goes uncollected. Briggs would not identify the customer. But industry analysts said it was Murray Inc., Briggs' third-largest customer and a manufacturer of riding lawn mowers, snow blowers and other equipment sold in stores such as Wal-Mart, Sears and Home Depot.

Murray, based in Brentwood, Tenn., has been put up for sale amid financial turmoil swirling about its Chinese parent company. Murray recently laid off a third of its salaried work force in Tennessee in an effort to cut costs and become more attractive to potential buyers.

Briggs is bracing itself for a one-time, $10 million write-off should Murray file for bankruptcy, Michael Schneider, an analyst with Robert W. Baird & Co., noted in a research report published Monday.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-19-04, 04:38 PM
If you want a little more.

WASHINGTON October 29 -- Sears, Roebuck and Co. has agreed to pay $500,000 to resolve U.S. federal allegations that it failed to report known defects on riding lawnmowers, federal safety officials said Friday.

From April 1999 to September 2001, Sears learned of about 1,600 instances of fuel leakage and fuel tank cracking on some models of Craftsman lawnmowers, but the company didn't report the problems as required by federal law, the Consumer Product Safety Commission said.

According to federal law, manufacturers, distributors, and retailers are required to report to CPSC immediately (within 24 hours) after obtaining information which reasonably supports the conclusion that a product contains a defect which could create a substantial risk of injury to the public, presents an unreasonable risk of serious injury or death, or violates a federal safety standard.

As part of the settlement, Sears denies any violations, the commission said.

About 36,000 of the Craftsman rear-engine riding lawnmowers were recalled in 2003. The manufacturer, Brentwood, Tenn.-based Murray Inc., later paid a $375,000 civil penalty to settle allegations of belatedly notifying the CPSC.

In a statement, Sears said it told the lawnmower manufacturer of all reported incidents and is now working with the safety commission to help meet future reporting obligations.

Federal law mandates that companies must inform the CPSC within 24 hours of discovering any product defects that pose injury risks or violate federal safety standards.

Old 11-19-04, 08:04 PM
I always hated that I bought a new Murray push mower back in 1993 and gave away my 20 year old trusty push with a 3hp B&S that would mow over a tree. I had the Murray 1 year and the deck broke. I then bought a Craftsman. Self propelled and it has the 6hp Techumsee and although it runs good it's not as powerful as the original 3hp Briggs. If I go through really thick grass it boggs.

I want my old ozone hole making mower back.

Old 11-19-04, 08:51 PM
You made a very excellent point there...

Mowers were of much better quality from the 80's and backwords. You would see some of the toughest equipment from the 60's and 70's. From the 90's on, they have been trying to cut corners by using lighter materials such as aluminum for the decks to cut the cost to consumers and to themselves. Another thing that companies have been doing is manufacturing equipment for other people while they slap there name on it. For example, I have a Scotts walk behind mower. It was manufactured by JD for Scotts which was sold for Home Depot. And here is the funny thing. If you pulled up the model number, the mower would show as a Murray. I figured conspiracy. Aftor the Scotts line was removed, then came the JD 100 series LT's. Interesting ha? I here JD has been doing things like this with their products for a while now.

Old 11-20-04, 08:48 AM
Re: Murray Fans

Anne may be a good singer but I don't care for that style of music
But Bill can be hilarious!
See: Caddyshack, Stripes, Ghostbusters, and Scrooged

Old 11-20-04, 08:56 AM
Sorry 'bout that, I couldn't resist
I really do find this fascinating
Murry's are rebadged as Craftsman eh?
I know Murray's "based" in Tenn., but I thought they were mostly Chinese
I mean not manufactured here but in China, maybe assembled here

I've had my share of B&Ss grenade on me the last few years
I was starting to wonder if they were mostly Chinese now

My lawn-pro buddy won't touch B&S, and yells at us if we do

Old 11-21-04, 07:53 PM
Here is the thing. If no one stands up to stop this, then it won't get stopped. Its like fighting for your right if you have none. And it seems no one wants to stand up against John Deer or Murray. And that is just sad! I bet you that Murray is going to go out of buisness soon and B&S is going to get screwed over the 40 million that Murray owes them and JD will soon become popular in cutting corners to make it easier for them. Craftsman will allways be Craftsman, dirt cheap and well known. And All the little companies are all part of MTD.

Old 11-22-04, 12:16 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Craftsmans are not rebadged murrays. Some of the push mowers are, and the rear engine rider is, but the rest of the riders and walk-behinds are made by AYP (american yard products...a division of electrolux). Craftsman manufactures nothing. Everything is made by someone else to Sears's specifications. Craftsman is an excellent value...bang for the buck. Murray and Deere have no ties. Deere has already cut corners on the L and LT series mowers, as they did on the sabre and other mowers in the past. Those are low-end units made for the homeowner. It fills a niche...a useable product for those who want a low-cost machine. Deere still does and probably always will build a quality machine as well, but at a different price range.

Old 11-22-04, 05:33 AM
Electrolux? The vaccum people?
Now I just had to find a part for a Genesis clothes dryer
I never heard of it
But I found a phone # on the machine
I call it, the recorded voice says "Thank you for calling Electrolux"
I go through the menu, hit the button for parts and it says, "For parts go to frigidaire.com"
I call up the local appliance repair center,(who also never heard of the brand), give them the model #, and they say it's a Maytag!

How do I find out who actually made my Craftsman power washer?
It has a B&S engine, and really that and the Craftsman name are why I bought it
I hold no illusions about Craftsman being the best or anything, I just was thinking about parts and repairs in the future
I know when you bring a B&S to the local small engine repair shop they can actually repair it

Search this Thread