Presents for the little ones.

Old 12-10-04, 10:17 PM
Presents for the little ones.

Okay everyone. Here it goes. My wife and I both grew up with very little and so we tend to go a little over board on Christmas for our 2 kids. My great son is of course named Matt after me and he's 11, and my little princess is DeAnna and she's 8.

I'll begin by letting you all know they are far from spoiled. This is the only time of the year except for birthdays we buy it all. The rest of the year they earn their own money through chores and buy their own stuff. They deffinitly know the value of a dollar.

The topic here is what are you getting the kiddies this year.

Son: 300 watt stereo "my wife about slapped me for that one" but he loves music, several WWE wrestlers and a wrestling ring, Cell phone "WHY DID I DO THAT !!", clothes "he actually asked for them ??", 4 of the latest PS2 games and 4 cd's he's been wanting, 2 of those new cool remote control mini cars that drift, 2 laser tag gun sets, and then a bunch of other small stuff.

Daughter: Bratzs "you name it", PS2 system and 2 new games, 4 cd's, clothes, stuffed animals, several dvd's "now that she has a PS2", Polly stuff, and of course other girly stuff.

It may look like Matt is getting more but if you have a little girl and have bought a Bratz doll you know the cost.

The true reason for this post is this. Since we have the greatest DIY site available to mankind and we are world wide, I'm very curious as to what kids around the globe are wanting this year and if they are getting it.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-11-04, 05:19 AM
Group Moderator
Our daughter, who turns 16 in January is getting a laptop (shhh!) that she's been wanting for a couple of years. Got some ulterior motives there; frees up the family desktop more. Plus. I'll finally be able to do some computer upgrades at a leisurely pace and still have computer capabilities . Our son, who turns 1 (not a typo) in January (insert your own wisecrack about the Tow Guy's age here) probably not getting anything remarkable, just the standard toddler-type stuff. My wife of 25 years is getting a new range (more romantic than that sounds; she's been wanting to replace our current one with a smooth-top for several years and does a lot of baking).

Ho-ho-ho!

Old 12-12-04, 07:43 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I see nothing wrong with loading up the kiddies. I do it. Paarenthood is a give-and-take. I get them what they deserve, plain and simple. My son is 4 and already has his own computer. I'm teaching him some things.

He also has toys out the wazoo.

But he's a good kid and deserves it. Spoiled? By some standards, possibly. By MY standards as his father? Nope.

You do what you do, and have to answer to no one. If your kids deserve it, get 'em the stuff.

Chris

Old 12-13-04, 04:07 AM
As for the lap top, alot of highschools are starting to require them so that's a great gift.

If the wife has never had a smooth top range, they are great for cleaning but mine anyway stays hot for a good little time after it gets turned off and they scratch really easy so don't slide the pans across it.

Old 12-13-04, 06:17 AM
I've noticed that the quality of kids toys these days has risen almost exponentially since I was a kid. I find myself thinking "Man, I wish they had cool stuff like that when I was a kid "

Old 12-13-04, 06:30 AM
gotta agree with airbiscuit about the cool toys available today. Back in the 50s it was bicycles, wagons and maybe something really hi-tech like an Erector Set or chemistry set.

Since we never had any kids the natural thing would be to get toys for each other, but since we both always worked we would just pick out our own choices. She's going to get some new DVDs, "Chocolat" for one, and I'm getting new snow skis in January when I go to Colorado.

The thing that she's getting that she's thrilled about is that after stalling around for 1 1/2 years, and then taking TWO MONTHS to pick out the tile, OUR MASTER SHOWER SHOULD BE DONE BY CHRISTMAS. That is if the floor tile shows up.

Merry Christmas to all

Old 12-14-04, 02:06 PM
Mattison & WorldBuilder: would either of you be interested in adopting me?!?! pleeeeeeeze???

we've got a 5 year old boy and a 2 year old girl - great ages! old enough to be completely enthralled with the magic of Christmas, Santa & flying reindeer, but not quite .....how do i say this? ......."informed" enough to realize that all the mysterious black trash bags laying around the garage are full of their presents!!! and since they can't read yet, several boxes containing ready-to-assemble items are sitting out in plain view!!! not to mention the pile of stuff in my trunk, suspiciously covered with a big beach towel! hmmm!? as much as i'm enjoying, and have enjoyed these past years' ease of storing these items, i know next year we'll have to enlist the help of neighbors & relatives! because, you see, their birthdays are December 31st and January 2nd!!! so we have to buy both Xmas AND birthday gifts NOW (because after Xmas, there's nothing left!!!), and hide/store it ALL! (and that's my whine for the day) then, of course, there's remembering where everything's been put! anyone else finding forgotten hidden toys sometime around July 4th???? ha!

as for gifts, we're getting Daughter her first bike (pink & white, of course, with training wheels), a doll cradle, her first Barbie, dress-up shoes (she's a little Amelda), and lots of other little girl stuff.

we didn't really have a "big" idea for Son this year, so it's all smaller stuff. no one thing really stands out - maybe a Monster Truck version of the Batmobile R/C car, some Hot Wheels stuff, a Darth Vader light-up sword, and lots of other little boy stuff!

one thing for sure is true.....no matter what you get them, they'll have more fun with the BOX it came in!!! the 5 year old still has more fun playing with empty paper towel tubes & a bunch of yarn! or a blanket to make a fort. or a pile of construction paper & some tape! i'm not sure why we bother with toys!!!

i have a friend with a 2 year old who has already started their tradition of only buying him 3 gifts - the same number of gifts baby Jesus got. i think that's a great idea.......just wish i'd thought of it 5 years ago!!! cuz there's no going back now!!! :~D

Merry Christmas, everyone!

Old 12-15-04, 04:11 AM
My son is at the age where he can put together his stuff but my daughter and those darn dolls I know it's for a great display but the way they strap those things into the boxes drives me nuts. She's also into a doll family called Polly, what a gift from the toy makers, tiny rubber clothes and accessaries everywhere.

Normally we're up all night Christmas Eve wrapping and setting up the stuff, this year most of the wrappings done.

Storage isn't a problem, I have a pretty large locked storage room in the basement where I keep my hunting equipment and wine rack. Funny part is my son had access to it since all his camping gear is in there and I changed the lock. He came up the other day with a smirk on his face and said "I see you got a new lock." Ha Ha!! Priceless.

Old 11-05-08, 02:09 PM
I was an only child. I recieved everything I wanted every year for Christmas. Most likely more than I wanted because my parents were divorced and re-married so I had twice as many parents and grand-parents buying me gifts. I was spoiled. Later in life (please note Christmas was not the opnly reason for this) I didn't realize what it was like to need things, to have to earn or pay for things and sadly how to properlly care for things because I always had so many and was always getting new.

Now that I am an adult and I have two children of my own (girls 2 and 4) I realize that I don't want them to thinkk that they are better than other people or that it is their God given right to get everything or almost everything they want just because they are so darn cute and loveable.

Every member in our house has a very, VERY large stocking. Santa fills these with a few little toys, some candy, and toothbrushes etc. Santa also buys 1 nice and 1 small gift. Then my husband and I buy 1 or 2 REALLY nice gifts. Mot necessairly expensive but very thoughtful. We usually out-do Santa. That is it. My parents and his parents, aunts, uncles etc buy enough other stuff that we just don't. It is those gifts that are well thought out that they are still playing with a year later not the meaningless toys that they recieved in numbers. In fact every year before Christmas we go through the playroom and sort out toys that are broken (trash) or unloved (donate) to make room for new. I think this is one small lesson I can give my girls to prevent them from having a princess complex like I did when I was an adult.

"What? You mean I have to buy that? I have to budget? But I want that cell phone not a cheep one! I can't afford to send 1,000 text messages? Why is my apartment such a mess? I have to clean it? I want clothes! I want cable! I want shoes!" I had a lot of learning to do when I turned 18.

Old 11-05-08, 06:55 PM
You'll shoot your eye out !!!!!!!!!!! --that sucker bounced back & stuck in the white
part of my eye--- I ran to grandma (no icicles to blame ) & she flicked it out w/ her finger nail.
She said " you better not mention this to anyone or Red Ryder will be history--
she was a great lady..............My best Christmas ever.............
The wife & daughter do all the shopping ( they are done already ) we open
presents when everyone has the time to get together.
I don't buy the kids/grandkids tools anymore. They just come over to Howard's hardware
store & help themselves....................
Christmas will be leaner this year as 2 of the grandkids are driving cars ( new to them )
as of the last couple months---nuf said-I won't go there.
I want to wish everyone a safe Christmas/newyear.........
& may god help the United States of America..........................

Old 11-06-08, 05:00 AM
I think kids, regardless of their former financial status, will be seeing the crunch their parents and grandparents are going through. My wife and I buy each other minimal gifts, as we don't need anything (except tools, naturally). Same thing with the kids, who are grown. But my grandkids, I'll have to sell myself on the streets to afford it, probably, but I love to watch them open presents. I find myself making things in the shop for people, and they really use them!!! Makes me feel good. It may be hokey, but we make up baskets with homemade jelly, homemade wine and little bags of mill mixes (bread, pioneer porridge, etc.) with a nice $1 kitchen towel. Adds a personal touch.

Old 11-06-08, 05:49 AM
They're getting coal this year.

Old 11-06-08, 07:58 AM
One of my granddaughters gave me a personalized lump of coal last Christmas.
I am looking for a small (tiny) coal truck--so I can reward her....

Old 11-06-08, 12:28 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
There is a souvenir shop [in a coal town] an hour or so, north of us that has a whole aisle dedicated to coal sculptures [big and little] The little pieces make great gag gifts but some of the bigger more intricate pieces can be quite pricey.

In the same town, they have a full size statue of a miner in the city park - it's made out of coal

Old 11-06-08, 03:09 PM
you have any idea how old this thread is. gift cards make great gifts. then they buy what they want.

Old 11-06-08, 03:42 PM
Only 4 years, but it is viable. I like the coal figurine idea. It is still a piece of coal, no matter what it looks like. Mark, how far north is that town. I may make a road trip if it isn't too far north of Knoxville.

Old 11-06-08, 03:59 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Barbara's gift shop in Big Stone Gap, Va. a good ways east from 75 - I'm sure there's a better route

I don't know if they have a web site or not. Mostly they sell fake flowers, we go up there several times a year so my wife can get flowers for various head stones at about a 1/3 of the price locally...... and it's a pretty drive up there and back. I could care less about the flowers and craft stuff they sell but all the carved coal pieces are kind of neat to look at.

Hope I don't have to edit myself for advertising

Old 11-07-08, 04:01 AM
Group Moderator
Only if your name is really "Barbara".

Old 11-09-08, 12:40 PM
I bought a friend's then 8 year old son a beginner's toolbox (couple screwdrivers, 1/4 drive socket set, and a few other things in it, in a cool case). He loved it, and I imagine the father uses it too. Hope nobody gets a coal neckalce with matching earrings.