No Soliciting Sign?

Old 12-17-04, 09:36 AM
martinp
Visiting Guest
No Soliciting Sign?

So, the other day my three-year-old just went down for a nap, and someone rang my doorbell... wanted to know who I voted for.

It has happened before, but this time it made me mad for some reason.

Been getting lots of sales people ringing the bell lately, and I never encourage it. I'm thinking of putting up a no soliciting sign, but we have a nice door with brick on both sides and I don't know where to put it. Do you have any ideas?

Plus, don't you think that no soliciting signs are a last resort? I can't think of anything else to do, though.

Just wondering what your thoughts are,
Martin

Sponsored Links
Old 12-17-04, 10:16 AM
I agree that it is aggravating but these people are doing what they get paid to do. Your only recourse is to let them know, before they ring your doorbell, is that they are not welcome to do so. I have seen aluminum signs that are painted to look like cast iron with the message on them. They can be stuck into the ground along your walkway or driveway. They don't stick out like a sore thumb or overwelm your entranceway. Good luck.

Old 12-17-04, 02:46 PM
martinp
Visiting Guest
majakdragon,

What an awesome idea. Thanks for letting me know about those signs! I'll look for them at the store.

Martin

Old 12-17-04, 06:54 PM
Just like the dragon said there are plenty of signs out there that look nice to ward these people off.

Old 12-18-04, 12:03 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
or a nice picket fence with a 100lb doberman works even better than the signs!?

I have a doberman, and that tends to keep people out of the yard...and that's good most of the time. What really gets under my skin is when they decide they won't enter the yard and so they just blow the horn. If I ignore it, they usually keep blowing until I come out. By then I'm usually not in a good mood. The solicitors phone calls is what bugs me most though.

Old 12-18-04, 02:28 PM
Bitsie
Visiting Guest
Avoid Phone Solicitors

Missouri has a new Federal Law established. The NO CALL list. You can call and have your phone number placed there, by law, solicitors cannot call you without being held accountable with fines and charges.

I do not know if this is available in other states, but I'm sure the Missouri site or phone numbers could direct you:

www.moago.org
Toll Free: 1-866-NOCALL1

I have a front window next to the front door, I am placing my sign there in the lower-corner of the window next to the door--it will be clearly visible there when someone comes right up to the door, but will not be noticeable otherwise.

Old 12-19-04, 04:06 PM
It is a national "Do not call list". Not local Federal Missouri Law. It stops 99% of the solicitation calls, but does not apply to non-profit organizations. It surely stops the majority of the telemarketers tho'.

Old 12-19-04, 09:24 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I'm on it. It has stopped most of the calls, but I still get them. I've reported one or two, but most of the time it's not worth it. Also, the solicitors are finding loopholes I guess...because now instead of trying to sell you something outright, they often want to "take a poll", get your personal info, etc...etc...etc...

Old 12-19-04, 11:47 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Location: langley, in sunny fraser valley, bc , near vancouver
morning all,
we live in an area where 'religious' soliciting is common on behalf of three groups in particular. - One group stopped calling on us after an incident with my 4 year old daughter (this was a few years ago).
Saturday morning around 9.15 the doorbell rings and I see two somber clad gentlemen holding Bibles on my doorstep. My kids, then 3 and 4 are right behind me, - one of the gents says "what sweet children" and the other, looking fixedly at the 4 yr. old says "Do you know God is watching you all the time" . She thought about this for a moment and then replied -
"does He have REALLY big binoculars? " - my wife and I just cracked up at this, ROFLMAO, bigtime.
Needless to say that was the end of that interview,and they've never been back since.

Old 12-20-04, 08:21 AM
Bitsie
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up National 'No Call' List

It is good to learn that the 'No Call' List is a 'National' thing!

The form we used here in Missouri only references Missouri and is called 'No Call Missouri, Missouri Attorney General Jay Nixon's Office.'

We also registered to "not" receive junk mail. That has really reduced the clutter. All those credit card offers and such; I had no idea that we were getting that junk mail because solicitors could view "general" information on our credit report! I also didn't know that we could "block" that.

Thank goodness that the solicitors are no longer allowed to bother us! Unfortunately, the phone companies/long distance solicitors here in Missouri do not have to abide by these 'No Call' laws unless you contact them directly and request it--then they must. I don't know about the rest of the States.

Old 12-20-04, 10:02 AM
The telemarketers put me on a don't call list at their option "I'm sure". Whenever they would call, I would keep them on the phone with my "made up" personal problems. It don't take long to drive them nuts.

Old 12-22-04, 01:18 PM
that reminds me of the Seinfeld episode where Jerry gets a telemarketing call & says to the guy, "i'm in the middle of something. can i get your home number? i'll call you back later this evening. ....what's that? you don't want me calling & bothering you at home? well i don't like it either!!" and hangs up! i'd love to do that!!! ha!

another good retaliation for the junk mail, is to use the envelopes they provide to you & mail them back a bunch of other junk mail!!! then they have to pay the postage on them! hee hee!!!

Old 12-22-04, 01:37 PM
Can I make a suggestion?

Why not have one of the Admins create a opening popup on the homepage of the website stating in bold letters "Advertising Of Any Sort Is Not Alowed In The Forums! If You Advertise, You Will Be Baned!"

Old 12-22-04, 01:45 PM
Thumbs down

i think that people who advertise KNOW fully well that it's not allowed - but they know that there will be a window of time before their ad is noticed & deleted. and that's just enough time for a few people to see it. a few people here, a few on each of the other hundred sites they spammed, and voila! free advertising!

i don't think it would do a bit of good. my 2.

Old 12-23-04, 05:39 AM
T-20, If that pop up worked it would eliminate 50% of my job here. I get very good virtual pay here and if I was no longer needed what would I do ?

A while back there was a cd circulating of this guy who recorded a bunch of telemaketing calls where he messed with them. They would play it on the radio alot and it was really funny. I know the people making the calls are only doing their job and have to put food on the table, so it's not their fault.

Old 12-23-04, 06:05 AM
I here ya. Alot of telemarketers make good money because of what happens to them on long hours on the phone.