Walmart (Qualifier: Only Personal Opinions Are Expressed Here)

Old 12-20-04, 01:43 AM
Walmart (Qualifier: Only Personal Opinions Are Expressed Here)

Everyone knows why walmart is so successful. They carry cheap stuff to bring cost down and they have security gates and cameras in the store. But do you know that every year walmart owners keep raising the bar on how much they expect to make at the end of each year? The cost of our dollar is going down more and more and soon it will be equal to the canadian dollar. Now what does that say to consumers? Now walmart aint so cheap no more. Now consumers can only spend so much money, especially during the Christmas season.

So administrators and owners keep thinking well, next year we will make 5 billion, next year aftor that 6 billion, and etc, etc. Well fokes it aint going to happen. Then you have to also add the fact that they are building many more walmart locations. This means, there are so many walmarts and not enough people to buy everything in every store they have. What I am saying is, if they don't watch out, one of there walmarts may go bankrupt because of maintanance and utility and other costs against them. So what is the answer as I see it? Stop building more walmarts, stoping raising your bar, it aint going to happen. And wake up, not everyone carries a hundred doller bill in there pocket.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-20-04, 04:07 AM
I know I've never cared for Wally World too much. They do seem to have everything but their customer service when you're at the store is the pits. You have to chase somebody down if you need help then they don't help you they call over the loud speaker then you wait forever. Then when you're ready to check out there will be 2 lanes open and people lined up 20 deep with employees standing around, and they will not open another register.

Old 12-20-04, 04:40 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Am I missing the point, Terminator?

It seems to me that you are basically telling the CEO what he needs to do to stay in business, as well as telling us that "every year walmart owners keep raising the bar on how much they expect to make at the end of each year".

Um, that seems fairly obvious to me. Businesses want to make money, and by doing so, make more profit.

Nature of the beast, plain and simple.

Chris

Old 12-20-04, 06:42 AM
Walmart is a very calculating business. If you have a product and want them to sell it, you make lots of concessions to them or go elsewhere. They are so big, that most will grant the concessions. They also get huge tax breaks to build their new stores. As far as not having enough customers, YEAH they will because they force other stores out of business. It's not Sam Waltons store any more.

Old 12-20-04, 06:57 AM
With Walmart, you get what you wanted. Inexpensive items of concomitant poor quality in an unreliable supply to satisfy the desire for low price. As it continues to grow, the bad drives out the good.

Old 12-20-04, 12:35 PM
So true! Walmart has been scating buy for too long. I don't mind shopping at walmart for some stuff. But alot of stuff, I rather buy on the net, or some other local store that I know carries quality stuff.

Old 12-20-04, 01:16 PM
They pretty much have a lock on a market. To YOU, $98.00 in lawn equipment is a maintenance item. To Walmarts customers, it's a brand new mower. Throw away stuff is getting pretty popular. And we all know who sells it.

Old 12-20-04, 04:15 PM
I agree, thats the problem these days. No one wants to make a good quality product. Heck, when I bought my new trimmer, I did not want to go with something you would find at walmart. So I bought the Stihl FS250R because I wanted top of the line, and something that would last. You won't find from Ryobi, Eager 1, Husqvarna, or the MTD line. Which is now made up of all the small companies lol. I am afraid that by 2010, people will only walmart. Oh well, nothing I can do but bring it up and hope that someone catches on and changes things. Wishful thinking I know.

Old 12-21-04, 10:54 AM
this should make you happy, Terminator:

Target did BETTER than Walmart this year, on the biggest shopping day of the year: the day after Thanksgiving!!!

i know of more & more people who have become disenchanted with Walmart and are finding alternative stores to shop in, with better service, smaller crowds, & more stylish merchandise, for only slightly more money - which they say is well worth it!

i have some friends who NEVER shop at Walmart. Never. they refuse to support them. there's nothing at Walmart that you can't find somewhere else. if you don't like them, or what they stand for, or what they're doing to the Little Guy, then don't shop there. period. go to your local shops, the little Mom & Pop stores. support THEM. you'll feel so good about doing a good deed and supporting the business of real people that you won't mind spending a little more. and for that "little more" you'll be getting SERVICE and a genuinely friendly SMILE! that is, IF you have any local Mom & Pop stores LEFT!

so....what's your story? are you a manager of a walmart store on the verge of being canned for not making quota, or were you the owner of a Mom & Pop store and had to close up? or are you just mad that Walmart didn't carry your top of the line Stihl trimmer for less than what you paid???

or......did you just get home from a particularly unpleasant and hellish visit to your local Walmart store??? because that'll put the nicest of people in a BAAAAAD mood!!!

Old 12-21-04, 02:13 PM
Originally Posted by Annette
or......did you just get home from a particularly unpleasant and hellish visit to your local Walmart store??? because that'll put the nicest of people in a BAAAAAD mood!!!
Thats the reason right there. I also looked them up on the net for a little more information to battle against them.

Old 12-21-04, 02:33 PM
ahh! tis the season to stay as far away as possible from Walmart! it's a nightmare this time of year!!! if you're in a good mood when you leave the house, you'll be spitting nails before you ever even get INSIDE the store because of what you'll go though in the parking lot just getting a place to park!!!

Old 12-21-04, 08:00 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
No doubt it feels good to support local business, or at least smaller stores. There are 2 box stores within minutes of my place. I inadvertently wind up at one or the other more often than I'd like, but I try to deal with the little guys. Shoot, I buy lumber cheaper at the local store than I can get it for at the big box store. And it's name brand, where the box store lumber is some name I'm not familiar with. The big stores aren't always cheapest anymore. Wlmrt is no exception. I don't like 'em. But...the reason they succeed is because we keep going there. We have to save that fifty cents. We have to buy it all in one place. We already shopped america right out of our jobs.

Old 12-22-04, 12:17 PM
Cheese Glad to see your view!. If you have more info, please post. I would like to here more from you.

Old 12-23-04, 01:02 AM
I will never set foot in a Walmarts.
The reason?

My Mother-In-Law worships the dirt they treat you like.

And if you knew my M-I-L, you'd confirm she's the re-incarnate RoBeasta-Supreme High Preistess of the SheDevils!!!

Old 12-23-04, 07:17 AM
hmmmm

you won't do business with Walmart because you hate your MIL?

you've got some issues, don't you?

Old 12-23-04, 02:28 PM
Because I can't see into the future, I can not pradict it, but, I think Walmart is going to go two different directions. Either there going to suck and die out or there going to keep doing better and every other store is going to close down because of them. I hope its the first one. Walmart goes down the tubes and the small mom and pops really start booming!

Old 12-23-04, 09:34 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I don't think the small mom and pop stores will ever really boom again. Walmart may not succeed in becoming the new world order or whatever, but if not, it will only be because another store with better customer relations and local business ties emerges and gives them a run for the money. Multi-conglomerate self-service all-inclusive stores are where people are spending their money. If that doesn't change, then the small mom and pops are going to stay small, or wane from existence.

On the other hand, if more people would think about the effects of what they spend their money on and where they spend it, maybe the chinese economic machine and the super stores will fade from our society. I don't see that happening just yet.

Old 12-24-04, 12:44 AM
tae
walmart has a saying: the only competition we want is ourselves.
Sam wanted it that way. But, he also wanted a business that put people first. Thats about dead in most stores.
When walmart moves into a small town, they actually do offer the small business folk a few lessons on how to compete with walmart. Whether they follow the advice is up to them.

even though they are the biggest employer in the world, there is still plenty more world to expand into. Profits will rise.

all you wanted to know about walmart:
http://www.ufcw.org/issues_and_actio...eneralinfo.cfm

Old 12-27-04, 10:48 AM
Here's a couple of tidbits that I know:

Wal-Mart is the second largest employer in the U.S. #1 is the U.S. Government.

Wal-Mart is the largest retailer, #2 is Home Depot.

I personally hate going to Wal-Mart because the stores around us are always dirty, merchandise in the aisles, and the staff is unfriendly and generally not very helpful. Then again I live in a larger city. Where my Grandfather lives things are a bit different. Wal-Mart has closed a lot of the little stores but it is also helpful in that they have merchandise that would not generally be available unless they drove 40 miles. The staff is a lot of retired locals that take a little bit of time to help you and the store is normally clean and organized. A lot of industry has left the area and Wal-Mart is one of the largest employers in the area.

I've seen the duality of Wal-Mart however these things don't disturb me as much as their brut force relationships with their suppliers. Read this Fast Company article about how they just about put Vlasic out of business. Just some food for thought.

Old 12-28-04, 03:12 AM
Location: langley, in sunny fraser valley, bc , near vancouver
Hi all you Americans,
As someone who isn't American, but reads, listens and understands a lot about your country, I'm surprised that nobody hit on the real issue here. Terminator, Annette and Merlin came close, but the BIG issue is that Walmart is driving American manufacturers out of business, putting American factory workers out of work and replacing the retail trade with people who are not much better off than slaves.
YOU, the US public control this, every time you buy from their store, you add to the problem.

Old 12-28-04, 07:23 AM
Of course, there have been Wal Mart stores in Canada for over a decade...

Old 12-28-04, 08:56 AM
We don't shop there, (OK the Mrs does occassionally) for the simple reason that they are LAWBREAKERS/skirters of the law. Their treatment of female employees trying to go from welfare to work is oppressive. For more on this read "Nickel And Dimed" about a lady who went "undercover" taking service level jobs all over America to research this subject.

Much in the news over the past year has been the locking in of night stockers, "for their own protection". This smacks of the worst offenses from 100 years ago of mine owners and the textile trades.

BTW, we're no bleeding heart liberals, but this kind of treatment of employees is what led to the rise of unions in the early twentieth century. Of course with Wal-Mart's purchase and leasing of politicians they figure they can forestall unions for a long time.

Old 12-28-04, 07:38 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
nomind, that's what I was referring to when I mentioned the chinese economic machine and "We already shopped america right out of our jobs."

I've heard about the Vlassic problems, and the same issues come up with lots of manufacturers who deal with walmart. On one hand, they can't afford to deal with walmart, but on the other...they can't afford not to. So they do the deal, then move facilities to other countries so they can stay alive. This happened to murray bicycle co. and other companies.

Now, is all this walmarts fault? Not really. They are taking advantage of another problem we have here. That is liability, unions, osha, epa, and all sorts of other things that cause the price of manufacture to escalate. Liability being #1 I believe. Lawyers and lawsuits alone cause production expenses to be high. Equipment required to meet/comply with epa and osha takes more capital. Unions...well we all know what they do. Then there is a truckload of taxes that apply to different aspects of production.

In some of the countries our manufacturers are going to, there is no epa or equivalent. No osha, no unions, and little or no burden of liability. The hired help is happy to make cents on the dollar compared to US workers. So can we blame those mfgrs for leaving? I can't. I blame our society for adding so much red tape to every stupid thing we do that we can't do it efficiently. That's not to say I don't think we have good reason for epa, osha, unions, etc... but... we carry it too far sometimes, and not far enough other times. Other countries without environmental quality controls are ruining our earth and profitting from it. We are trying to protect it, and it's costing us our jobs. Other countries are running slave labor camps and profitting from it. We value human life and believe we all have inaliable God-given rights.

Should the US back down on these issues? No. I think the other countries should step up to the plate with some responsibility for our world and mankind. What will it take for them to do that? Dead seas? Nope...we already have those. People dying at their workstations from malnutrition, unsafe work areas, and exhaustion? Nope, got that too. I guess they just won't change.

Walmart is the effect. (cause and effect)

Everything eventually balances...I guess this will too.

Old 12-29-04, 07:34 AM
Good post Cheese. As regular people we want to see these big companies show some patriotism and keep everything here. I may be wrong but I could swear that when Wal-Mart 1st started the big deal was that everything they sold was American products or at least the biggest percent.

Most does have to do with what you posted yet it also has alot to do with greed. Every company that has moved operations across a border could still be doing good and making profits right here in America. They would see that their competitor was gaining on them or getting farther in front and nothing matters in the big bussiness world but to be #1 and they will do whatever it takes to get there and if that means moving operations to a 3rd world country to cut costs then they will do it.

Old 12-29-04, 10:07 AM
I shudder to think what the average American would think of car prices if Ford suddenly decided to move all of their foreign operations back onto American soil.

Americans want it both ways. Cheap and made in America cannot always coexist.

Old 12-29-04, 05:29 PM
Location: langley, in sunny fraser valley, bc , near vancouver
I believe it has EVERYTHING to do with greed.
Unless I'm mistaken, the list of Ten richest people in USA has a fair number of Walton's in it. -How rich do they have to be ?
-More so, how can they, in good conscience, drive their homeland towards economic third world status ??

Old 12-29-04, 06:10 PM
Conscience (sp?) has nothing to do with big business and it's not just America. Walmart has a great thing going for it. They have employees that will work for minimum wage and take any order given, knowing that their job is gone if they refuse. The butchers tried to unionize, no more butchers. The automotive part of Walmart is not their employees, it is subbed out. You want to sell your product in their stores, you give them a rock bottom price.
I worked for a company that wanted Walmarts contract for oil and filter pick-up. We normally took the drained filters to a landfill. Walmart said NOPE, you will take them 500 miles to a shred and burn site. Lots of money involved between driver wages and going out of state but the larger business made it worth while. It wasn't just their filters, it was ALL filters we picked up and we had to give them monthly invoices to check on it.
Consumers don't look at the future. Fast buck now and I'll worry about my job tomorow. Just a fact. Don't think it will change.

Old 12-29-04, 09:17 PM
Originally Posted by nomind
I believe it has EVERYTHING to do with greed.
Unless I'm mistaken, the list of Ten richest people in USA has a fair number of Walton's in it. -How rich do they have to be ?
-More so, how can they, in good conscience, drive their homeland towards economic third world status ??
I think you're overreacting a bit.

There have been other companies that have dominated in their respective industries in America's past, not unlike Walmart.

Old 12-29-04, 10:58 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Thanks mattison

Greed may have something to do with it in some cases, but in many cases, moving facilities overseas is a necessity to keep a company above water. Take murray bicycles for example. They are a run of the mill bicycle....nothing anyone is going to seek out and pay extra for. They have to produce a bicycle with decent enough quality and at a low enough price for people to buy them. Otherwise they are done for. When their operation was here in the USA, they were up to their necks in expenses with little to no margin of profit. With american wages, epa, osha, taxes, lawyers, and all kinds of expenses, they were merely just handing the money they made right back out. The cost of production became so great that they had to either raise the cost of the product, or decrease their expenses. Raising the price would have probably put them out of business, because they wouldn't have been competitive anymore. The other imported bikes would still be cheap, and that's what the consumer would have bought. Moving overseas provided the relief they needed to open their profit margin again. They have to make a profit, as that's the purpose for the existence of a company in the first place. Breaking even won't put bacon on anybody's plate. Now the last major American bicycle manufacturer is not American anymore. I don't think it was greed, I think it was survival.

If a company can make a product in America, and make X amount profit yearly, or move overseas and make X times 3 profit yearly, then why not move? Patriotism? Conscience? For the benefit of American workers? Money talks too loud for sentiment to be heard when it comes to corporates. Even if it is greed..., it wouldn't be happening if it were actually more or as profitable for manufacturers to stay right here.

Sam Walton's Walmart was honorable. Shoppers felt they were helping their fellow americans by shopping there. Yes, they bought American whenever possible within reason. I remember they seemed to have a sense of pride in that, and it made me feel good knowing I was buying american goods. Now, some products are not even produced in America anymore. You can't buy American even if you wanted to when it comes to many things.

As far as the price of vehicles....When they moved overseas, did the prices drop? Ford opened facilities in Mexico with people happy to make $6.00 a day, so why are trucks 20 and 30 grand? I bet there are some really $happy$ CEOs because of that move.

air biscuit was right...Cheap and made in America cannot always coexist, and until a way is made so that they can, we will continue to see our factories pack up and ship out...taking our jobs with them. At least they are giving the workers at the unemployment office a little job security.

Interesting discussion...I'm enjoying it, and I'm glad people like you all are disturbed/concerned about it. When enough people become concerned, that's when changes will begin to occurr IMO.

My $.02

Old 12-30-04, 05:55 AM
Why are trucks so expensive? Because there are people willing to pay that much for a truck - plain and simple. The F150 has been the best selling vehicle for something like 20 years. It would be foolish of them to not sell their trucks for that price.

Ford has had operations in Mexico for decades now - there was no sudden international mass exodus of the auto companies. It happened over a long period of time.

I think there is a certain tolerance that Americans have for so-called outsourcing, to keep prices of goods and services down. What people often forget is that, while Walmart's net profits are high, they are a low margin business, so they must do whatever they can to lower their operating expenses. They do not just have a responsibility to their employees, they are indebted to their stockholders to earn a profit for them... stockholders are not just rich, old, white men - they are also middle class joes like you and me.

If you've got money in a 401k, then you probably are a stockholder.

Old 12-30-04, 06:22 AM
Originally Posted by cheese
Thanks mattison

Greed may have something to do with it in some cases, but in many cases, moving facilities overseas is a necessity to keep a company above water.
You're exactly right and the way I see it is the Gov lets a flood of products such as the bike come in from foreign countries and the 1 or 2 American companies treading in water with bricks tied to their ankles.

I remember as a kid the big campain was "Buy American" but nobody listened and the Gov didn't do enough regulating on import vs export to keep things equal. Now it's impossible to buy certain things American made.

When our Gov allows products to be imported from countries that do not care about the enviroment or workers in the way we do then there should be some sort of fee added to cover what the American companies have to pay out for this and they should get tax breaks to reflect it. "They may already do this, I don't know. "

Old 12-30-04, 07:26 AM
I shudder to think what the average American would think of car prices if Ford suddenly decided to move all of their foreign operations back onto AmIerican soil.
Not to get too far afield from the Wal-Mart part of the discussion but BMW, Mercedes, Bosch (automotive ignitions & fuel injection) Teves (anti-lock brakes) and some others have moved production to the USA in recent years because we are a LOW LABOR COST producer of cars.

For a great satirical look at "Wall-Mart" see the "South Park episode. Hilarious.

Frank

Old 12-30-04, 11:32 AM
I would suspect that has more to do with German companies' desire to build business relationships with American companies and consumers.

Old 12-30-04, 11:25 PM
I don't shop Walmart. I try to support my local, small town businesses. I am not really much of a shopper. I do not shop at malls either. If there is something I need, I usually order online. I only go to the grocery when I'm desperate.

Old 12-31-04, 03:41 PM
I always felt like I was going to a State Fair when going to a Walmart. It seems to attracts some funny/strange people looking for a good deal.

I used to go but the people that go there are just not what I feel comfortable being around.........let alone being seen there.

I go to Meijers quite often because it seems like it is more calm, not everything is "rolling back prices" and the suggestive selling is being done under a better critique.

I only go to stores such as these late at night; don't like crowds, don't like all the BS associated with waiting in line for 12 minutes staring at the fool in front of me wandering why they would buy such stupid stuff..........while I hold stupid stuff in my hands ready to buy.

Old 01-01-05, 01:26 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
We don't have a whole lot of choice in my town. There are only 2 department stores here. One is a huge super walmart, open 24hrs a day, and the other is a stinky small dirty store with defect clothes and sure-nuff junk in the other depts. And they close, but not sure when. The other stores closed. I like for my wife to buy groceries at other grocery stores, but she usually doesn't. Partially because of price, but also because she needs other things that grocery stores don't carry, or because walmart is just 2 miles from my house. I go there more than I'd like to. Sometimes it's the only reasonable place to go for certain things. I did manage to avoid one of the other big box stores today and took some business to a local outfit.

I realize auto co.'s have been going out of the country for years. I worked at a dodge dealership 11 years ago and most everything was from Canada or Mexico then. (Nothing against our neighbors, of course).

I agree Mattison, about the fees. I don't know if there is such a thing or not, but if there is, it isn't high enough. The fee should be enough to encourage the importing country to be environmentally responsible if they want to trade with us. Then, the revenue generated from the fees should be used for environmental cleanup, be it national or worldwide.

There was a program on tv showing lead recycling company workers in an asian country on a dock. They were getting the lead out of old car batteries. They had a large hammer and busted the plastic case, acid poured out, and they got the lead. They swept the rest into the ocean. Acid, small pieces of lead, plastic case, and all. The ocean was dead...completely poisoned, for hundreds of miles around. All for some recyclable lead.

Old 01-03-05, 09:56 PM
Here is an example of a perchase not being made at walmart. Today, I went to Target and bought a Tetris handheld game. The trick here people is not buying from walmart. Everytime we do that, we are supplying them with more fuel to feed the fire. My Two Cents.