Tsunami

Old 12-26-04, 10:41 PM
Tsunami

Did you guys see the tsunami in Thailand and India ??? Devastating yet amazing. I pray for the people involved but at the same time it is really something how an earthquake out in the ocean can cause something of that magnitude.

Nature has always amazed me in awe. I was born in KY yet we moved to Ill. for better opportunities for my mother. While in the 2nd grade I saw a tornado out of my class room window not 200 yards away and it barely passed our school. While living there we sheltered several times dring tornado season.

What are some of the encounters you all have had with nature??

Sponsored Links
Old 12-27-04, 04:47 AM
Well, I've lived on Albemarle Sound behind the northern Outer Banks (Nags Head, Kitty Hawk, etc.) of NC for more than 28 years.
Since I've lived here, I've boarded up for a dozen hurricanes, have been hit with two water spouts (small tornadoes over water), and we get about two dozen gale force storms a year. I got caught out in a fast-mov9ing gale force storm once while out sailing my Hobie Cat, and it kept knocking us over and finally buried the mast into the bottom of the sound and snapped it.
2003 was the worst year with a May waterspout and a direct hit here for the first time in living memory of the eye of a hurricane (Isabel - Sept. 18, 2003).
Isabel had about a 7-foot storm surge here at my home (my house is 8.5 feet above sea level at ground level, so we didn't get flooded, but had several 50-60 foot pine trees hit our house, and our pier, dock and boathouse were damaged and our pontoon boat was totaled. We had neighbors with a little lower houses that were totaled, so we were lucky.
Living on or near big water anywhere along the coast is beautiful, but there are hazards, as there are anywhere else. We don't have earthquakes, large wild fires, heavy tornado seasons, etc. like other places.
Mother Nature is awesome.
Mike

Old 12-27-04, 10:02 PM
I think it is a terrible tragedy for the people that live there, and their governments are not prosperous enough to help their citizen's much. It seems the death toll goes up by 1000's every day.

Mike they say we could get a Tsunami anywhere between NY and FL if we have an off-shore earthquake.

I am surprised that the countries in the Indian Ocean did not have the off-shore bouys to warn them of the impending wave. But, I am even more surprised that we don't have them on the East Coast. You thot a 7' storm surge was bad, what if it had been 20' storm surge?

It will not surprise me if we end up with them (warning bouys) sometime soon on the East Coast. They have just started raising the level of Lake Murray, SC after having it drawn down by 15' to construct a new dam behind the existing dam. The lake has been down for over 2 years, with 99% of the lakefront property owner's and businesses, with no water at their dock. This was all precipitated because some engineer at FERC (federal energy regulatory commission) found out that in 190X there was an earthquake in Charleston, SC with a X.X Richtor Scale, and decided that if it had had the epicenter on the Lake Murray Dam, it may have ruptured the dam and flooded out Columbia, SC. So..... we had to lower the lake, and spend over $100 million to build another earthen dam behind the existing earthen dam.

So, when the Tsunami hits SC Mike, you are in trouble, but I have two 200' tall earthen dams protecting my property.

Rick

Old 12-28-04, 09:05 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
This is terrible, truly. I have already donated to the Red Cross for relief effort, I urge you all to do the same.

Over 40,000 dead so far. Tragic.

Chris

Old 12-28-04, 07:41 PM
No suprise that most of those countries didn't have warning buoys, many of them are pretty poor on a per capita basis, I heard that Japan had spent $600 million on theirs. I'm pretty sure we don't have one on the US west coast, which BTW is much more susceptible to tsunamis than is the east coast, the pacific rim is pretty active as far as tectonic plates moving.

I've been in several hurricanes in the US, seen some horrific forest fires up close when I lived on the west coast, but the most devastation I ever saw was in India. Our Air Force unit provided communications support following some flooding, IIRC following tidal waves/tsunamis back in the early 70s.

Here, compliments of "A Short History Of Nearly Everything" by Bill Bryson, are some other things to keep you worried at night:

HUGE VOLCANO; the largest ACTIVE volcano in North America is Yellowstone National Park. Most of us think of volcanoes as having a "caldera" the cone that we usually think of. In Yellowstone it's not visible from the ground because vitually the whole park 2.2 million acres is the caldera. It blows about every 600,000 years and it hasn't blown in about 630,000 years! The ash fall from the last one covered 19 WESTERN STATES, PLUS PARTS OF CANADA AND MEXICO. When it blows, you'd want to stand well back!

ASTEROID COLLISION; Forget about the crater in Arizona, or the one that hit in the gulf, off of Mexico that wiped out the dinosaurs, the one that hit MANSON IOWA was about a MILE AND A HALF ACROSS, weighed TEN BILLION TONS, it left a hold THREE MILES DEEP AND TWENTY MILES ACROSS. It was the biggest thing that has EVER occurred on the mainland United States, ever.

EARTHQUAKES; I still remember when the one hit Alaska in 1964, it was a 9.2, also there was one off the Pacific coast of Chile in 1960 that was a 9.5 that generated a tsunami that wiped out much of downtown HILO HAWAII, (6,000 miles away) and continued across the Pacific ocean to cause havoc in the Phillipines and Japan.
The worst (recorded) earthquake occurred in Lisbon Portugal on November 1, 1755, (c,mon, you had to read "Candide" in high school), it was estimated at 9.0 and LASTED 7 MINUTES, it was so bad that water rushed out of the city's harbor and rushed back in in a wave 50 FEET HIGH. After 3 minutes of calm a second wave, almost as bad as the first and two hours later a third wave. Total 60,000 dead and every building for miles around destroyed. In Comparison the San Francisco earthquake of 1906 was a 7.8 and lasted LESS THAN 30 SECONDS.

OK, sleep tight!

Frank

Old 12-30-04, 07:29 AM
Good lord. 114,000 dead so far. This is terrible...

Chris

Old 12-30-04, 07:47 AM
It's just simply unbelievable and utterly staggering. Everytime I turn on the tv the numbers have went up by 10's of thousands.

What are some of the organizations to contribute to that wont waste the money??

Red Cross I imagine would be one.

Old 12-30-04, 04:52 PM
Here is a link to relief agencies.

http://www.google.com/tsunami_relief.html

Hope this helps.

Old 12-31-04, 03:44 PM
It is going to be over a half a million by the time it is all said and done with........that will span over the next year with people who initially got sick and die as a result of the occurrence.

Old 01-01-05, 07:11 AM
It's strange how they mentioned the animal death count was low. They apparently "sensed" it and headed for higher ground is what they said on the news report.

Old 01-01-05, 08:26 AM
When man angers nature enough, nature fights back, and nature always wins. Sad that humanity does this to itself. I'm glad though, that the "lesser" species fled in time.

Still, the people did not deserve this. Hopefully, it'll all come to a quick end.

Chris

Search this Thread