"-somewhere near Salinas, Lord - - "

Old 12-29-04, 05:48 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Location: langley, in sunny fraser valley, bc , near vancouver
"-somewhere near Salinas, Lord - - "

For those of you who haven't heard, in May or June '05, the 'John Steinbeck Library' in Salinas, California will close it's doors permanently.
His bronze likeness at the doors must be weeping in frustration as the City council prepares to close his and two other libraries for want of half a percent in taxes !
No wonder the great man once remarked that serious book writing made horse racing look like a solid, stable business !

Last edited by mattison; 12-30-04 at 05:54 AM. Reason: Unnecessary statement.
Sponsored Links
Old 12-29-04, 07:59 PM
Don't get me started on libraries and librarians!

Chris

Old 12-29-04, 09:28 PM
I have read a few articles on this. It is the people of Salinas that allowed it to happen. They voted down the tax increases.

Old 12-29-04, 11:01 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
My favorite author. It's a shame. Salinas was the town in the book "The Red Pony", correct?

Old 12-30-04, 02:00 AM
Hi Cheese,
- you're right, Salinas was the main locale of 'The red pony' .
As I'm sure you're aware almost all of Steinbeck's great books took place within 14 or 15 miles of Salinas. 'The long valley' , 'Of mice and men' (my favorite), 'Cannery row' , 'Tortilla Flat' , 'East of Eden' , 'Grapes of wrath' , 'In dubious battle' , - they were all set in the area that was as fertile for his prolific talent as it was for salad vegetables.
I know there's still a Steinbeck National Center, and a Center for Steinbeck Studies, but what an ironic shame that a library bearing the name and statue of one of the world's greatest writers, in his home town, could be closed.
Sometimes I think civilisation is dying.

Old 01-01-05, 01:02 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I haven't read all of those books. (yet) And it's been quite a while since I've read any books at all, but I remember The Red Pony pretty well. I seem to remember salinas in The Long Valley too now that you mention it. Of Mice and Men shall always be a classic. Steinbeck could always put you right there in the middle of his stories like it was really happening, not just a book.

Old 01-02-05, 12:48 AM
Hi Cheese , -Happy New Year !
- I went to my favorite used bookstore on Friday morning and found 'Cannery Row' and 'Tortilla flat' for less than $5. I know I'll enjoy these over the next few weeks. I'd recommend everybody to try at least one of his books. A writer like Steinbeck is one in a million, and his stories, though set in the thirties are ageless testament to the struggle of everyday working people

Old 01-02-05, 08:58 AM
It is a sad day, indeed, when the doors of a library close. Is this a sign of what's to come? Do we no longer value books and knowledge? Do we have our priorities screwed up?

Old 01-02-05, 11:16 PM
Yes, -I'll bet their local Walmart isn't closing down, and Steinbeck would have had a thing or two to say about them !

Old 01-03-05, 10:15 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Happy new Year to you too Nomind!

It is a shame. The arts are not being taught like they used to be, and folks are too busy to be interested anymore. It seems like everyone has gotten so much busier in the past 20 years. No time for reading I guess. I fall into the same category, but I do know what's in some of those books and value them. Right now I'm trying to persuade my ship to come in (like most of the rest of us I guess) and time is a precious commodity. I still have a lot of books that I haven't read yet. The last 2 books I read were over the past year or two, but they weren't novels. They were informational/theory books on archaeology.

Old 01-04-05, 03:24 PM
tae
well, for a fairly poor town of 150,000, 3.2 million a year i'm sure seems like a lot.
they do take donations, so everybody should put their money where their mouth is, eh?

Old 01-05-05, 10:58 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
From my understanding of the info above, the place is already set to close. What good would donations do now? (If one were so inclined).

Old 01-06-05, 09:10 PM
tae
from the articles i read, the town is still hoping for/entertaining thoughts about the libraries being saved by some wealthy donor. they need 8.3 mill, i think, for all 3 libraries to stay open. the only reason they were set to close was lack of funds.

Old 01-10-05, 09:32 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
"...saved by some wealthy donor. they need 8.3 mill..."

Neither my money nor my mouth are nearly big enough, lol.