Here comes the snow to the Midwest!

Old 01-04-05, 07:54 PM
Sawdustguy
Visiting Guest
Here comes the snow to the Midwest!

I live in the N.N.W. Burbs of Chicagoland and we're about to get nailed with 6-10" of snow by tomm night.

Nothing like slipping and sliding around the road.

Something tells me that I'm not going to feel like driving into work tomm.

Snow is great to look at but stinks to drive in.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-05-05, 04:17 AM
I haven't been following the news, but with our warm temps we've been getting I wonder if any of it will come our way to Cincinnati.

When I was a kid we lived in Decatur and I've still got family in a small town called DeLand which is near Champaign and what I always remember about snow there is the huge drifts you get across the roads, I guess from the land being so flat and open.

Old 01-05-05, 07:03 AM
Interesting side note; this morning's paper had a wire service story about the National Weather Service/severe storm center or some similar named agency. It seems there's a lot of concern with "super storms" that could converge in the coming few days. They're comprised of: Pineapple Express, Pacific storms bringing huge amounts of rain (snow at higher elevations) to southern California and the southwest. Arctic Express, what you guys get up in the upper midwest that brings snow and then really drops the temperature. and an unnamed system that will brings huge amounts of moisture (probably in the form of snow) to the Mississippi and Ohio river basins.

I really like the snow! That is I like to fly to Colorado, ski for a week and then fly home. One of the benefits of living in this part of Texas is that snow is as rare as an honest politician down here.

Although we constantly worry about my mother in law and sister in law who live in the greater Cinti area and have to contend with the winter storms.

Good luck to you all.

Frank

Old 01-05-05, 07:22 AM
Weather here in my part of Arkansas is weird for sure this year. One snow flurry last year (no accumulation) and this year we got 6-8" a couple weeks ago. Been in the mid 50s since and then tonight going to 35. I have a banana tree that I usually keep on the front porch but had to move it indoors for a few days. It likes the "real" sunlight. Hoping none of that California stuff makes it here. The only snow removal equipment here is endloaders and backhoes. They put sand on the bad curves in the road but thats about it.
I moved from Ohio to Florida and now here. Had the whole gamut of different weather. Snow...to hurricanes...to who knows what. Makes life interesting though.

Old 01-05-05, 11:16 AM
Sawdustguy
Visiting Guest
I'm very surprised, we didn't end up getting as much snow as I thought we would. "So Far" It's 1:22 pm C.S.T.

Old 01-05-05, 02:26 PM
Just heard the news on the radio. BIG story......Chicago to get 8 to 12" of snow tonight. Better sleep at the shop LOL. With all that wood, you'll never freeze.

Old 01-05-05, 03:21 PM
Sawdustguy
Visiting Guest
Don't remind me! Grrrr. And just when I thought we were going to escape it. Luckily I live in a townhome, so someone else has to do it.

Old 01-06-05, 11:08 AM
Sawdustguy
Visiting Guest
Well, looks like I spoke too soon.

We did get about 10-12" of snow. Blah

Old 01-06-05, 08:48 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Location: langley, in sunny fraser valley, bc , near vancouver
Hi Snowbunnies,
- according to good sources I read, you guys in Arkansas, Missouri, Illinois and Iowa are all going to get really clobbered on Friday, Saturday and maybe Sunday . Apparently only the EDGES of three systems have touched so far and things will go crazy when they really meet We seldom have snow this early and got 4-6" so far, starting yesterday. -That's on it's way to you !
Of course every idiot and his dog is out on the roads without snow tires, driving like it's summer ! -Nobody's wrapped their pipes, or their wellheads, or outside tanks. I've been going nuts all day trying to fix stupid things that never normally go wrong.

Old 01-06-05, 09:14 PM
tae
we just got kicked by the dreaded ice storm. the big town still has 73,000 people without electicity. My town has about 4,000 people without service. Luckily, i am not one of them. course they say that saturday, it should be around 50 degrees.
http://www.kansas.com/mld/kansas/

Old 01-06-05, 09:24 PM
Just further justification for my upcoming move to SC!!

Freezing my Bu** off while packing the garage today!

Old 01-07-05, 09:42 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Location: langley, in sunny fraser valley, bc , near vancouver
Wink

Hi TAE,
Originally Posted by tae
we just got kicked by the dreaded ice storm. the big town still has 73,000 people without electicity. My town has about 4,000 people without service. Luckily, i am not one of them. course they say that saturday, it should be around 50 degrees.
http://www.kansas.com/mld/kansas/
Where is "the big town" ??.
We're getting it even worse today, I'm just going to do things in my shpop and around the house, -too many idiots on the roads

Old 01-08-05, 12:54 PM
tae
the big town...the air capital of the world...home of btk....and a whole lot more...
wichita, ks