Can't view other user's posts

Old 01-23-05, 10:38 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Can't view other user's posts

Why is it when I go another user's name and choose "Find all posts by xxxxxx" I get an error message:

Speedy Petey, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

1. Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
2. If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.
I have almost 700 posts and obviously I am a registered member. Every other board I got to has this feature enabled for any registered user.

What's the deal?
Anyone? Bueler?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-23-05, 01:48 PM
I may be wrong but I think they disabled a few options to save on bandwidth. I will try to come up with a sure answer soon.

Old 01-23-05, 03:31 PM
Thumbs up Need to be a MOD

This is what I get: as a member I just now checked & since I could use this funtion 2 weeks ago I would say it's disabled to Members.

marturo, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

I must agree, because the only time I ever used it was to see if I had a joker in one of my Forums. Some people are here to waste time, while the many I have helped here at DIY came to learn. IMHO Members realy have no real need for tracking another members pasts post. You may disagree, & that's your right.

Marturo

Old 01-23-05, 06:39 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
It's not really a matter of tracking.
A poster said a new post he made was not related to a previous thread he had started. I wanted to see what the old thread was about to get some background on him.

Old 01-24-05, 09:53 AM
It's been stated before that, since they've been doing some "upgrades" there may be certain things that worked before that don't work now. It seems to me that turning this feature on should be just a matter of checking a box, or something. I can't understand that people use the "find post" feature so often that it would hog so much bandwidth...

As it stands now, I think only mods have the ability to search for a user's posts.

Old 01-24-05, 12:13 PM
Originally Posted by air biscuit
I can't understand that people use the "find post" feature so often that it would hog so much bandwidth....

This is why I dont work on comptors. <------ And that's why I never won a spelling bee.

Last edited by mattison; 01-24-05 at 05:30 PM.
Old 01-24-05, 05:27 PM
I've had the Super Mod check this out and from what he can see it should be working. It is all enabled on their end. I know one thing you can try is rebooting your computor, I remember that in the past that helped with some of the member functions. You may even want to try clearing your cookies and logging back in.

Old 01-24-05, 05:30 PM
Smile The old rule Search first then start a new thread don't apply anymore.

Speedy said: A poster said a new post he made was not related to a previous thread he had started. I wanted to see what the old thread was about to get some background on him.

I was going to suggest you ask your friend to back check his own past post, however I tried that in my own CP & was unable to view my own past posts.

Well seems like as members we have limits, & while It may not bother me I would say you could write a Super MOD & ask when & if members will get these privledges.

The one I miss the most & as a MOD I did not have this feature ever since we moved to Vbullitin. I miss the search feature where you could go to the PC forums search, type in PhotoShop & all threads that had Photo Shop in them would come up for me to read & study.

I subscribe to Smart Computing Magazine & get access to 3 other Computer mags + all the past issues for all 4 mags online. Quite a deal for $24.00 a year but it's all IT related. So it's not a multi forum DIY type site.

Old 01-25-05, 05:12 AM
Originally Posted by mattison
I've had the Super Mod check this out and from what he can see it should be working. It is all enabled on their end. I know one thing you can try is rebooting your computor, I remember that in the past that helped with some of the member functions. You may even want to try clearing your cookies and logging back in.
*Logged out, then logged back in. Tried searching for posts by "mattison"*

Nope, still doesn't work :shrug:

Old 03-23-05, 06:44 AM
I hate to keep bringing this up, but is this feature ever going to be "fixed"?

I could have sworn that I posted something in the "Lawn" forum a few days ago, and now I can't find it. I thought maybe it had been moved by a mod, but I can't even do a search to find all of my own posts.

Honestly, this is a basic feature that I have seen implemented on every single vB board I've ever posted on.

Maybe I shouldn't complain, because I know this forum is free and all, but... it's just very frustrating.

Old 03-23-05, 09:22 AM
I researched all your posts back to the 1st part of Jan and found nothing that shows you posted in lawns.

Last edited by mattison; 03-23-05 at 09:23 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 03-23-05, 09:27 AM
I appreciate that. I must have messed up somehow.

My main point stands, though (I hope).

Old 03-24-05, 08:45 AM
bobrod
Visiting Guest
As of now, certain features including accessing new posts and using the internal search is not accessible to members, only moderators and administrators. This is to save computer resources and bandwidth. Members are encouraged and are able to access any past posts by using the global search engine that's found at the top of each page.

Robert is currently working on getting everyone, members, moderators and administrators access to all search features, but it requires a lot of coding and a lot of time, and time is something that he has very little of due to his various projects at DIY.

We'll keep you updated.

Last edited by bobrod; 03-24-05 at 10:18 AM.

Search this Thread