Class Rings

Old 02-03-05, 02:44 PM
Group Moderator
Class Rings

Anyone have any thoughts on high school class rings? Daughter came home with ring info today (she's HOW old already???) The local distributor through the school is Herff Jones (who I got MY hs class ring from about 30 years ago). Anyone have any expereience with other sources for class rings, either in person or on-line? Just curious if there is a reasonable alternative, since HJ's down payment would be about what my parents paid in total for MY ring.

Thanks. TG

Sponsored Links
Old 02-03-05, 02:49 PM
Jostens and Art Carved are both listed when I put Class rings in the search bar. Even Walmart has them listed online. Jostens was the company that made my schools rings. Of course thats when they were wood and hand carved.

Old 02-03-05, 06:10 PM
Group Moderator
Yeah, tell me about it. I think mine was about $50 (c.1970) and I'm sure the Old Man practically croaked at the cost. We're looking at about two bills I think (going with the low-cost, non-gold material).

I did a search, too. My wife got her college ring a couple of years ago from Art Carved. The Wal-Mart site doesn't list our high school (too new I suppose; just opened 3 years ago). Unfortunately, none of the sites I checked could configure the ring the way she wants it: National Honor Society & Key Club logos on the sides and a clarinet under the stone. Probably going to have to bite the bullet, but she's a great kid and an easy keeper (takes after her mother) so we won't lose much sleep over it.

Old 02-04-05, 04:09 AM
I was 85' and the HJ sure rings a bell. Prices sure skyrocket. My ring was 14K and was right at $280 back then, now the non-gold is over $200??, and being a girls ring it's probably 1/2 the size. Wow.

Go ahead and splurge for her. Besides the boyfriend needs something nice to wear around his neck.

Old 02-04-05, 04:31 AM
Group Moderator
The one she'll probably get starts at $154.99 for the non-precious metal model before they get to the add-on charges. Gold models start @ $315 for 10k and $405 for 14k. Can't see spending THAT much money for a ring she'll wear for MAYBE 5 years.

Old 02-04-05, 10:29 AM
I don't blame you one bit. Besides if she plans on college there's where another ring comes in. Do girls where class rings from their college?? My wife don't. I of course went into trades so didn't do the college thing.

Old 02-04-05, 11:03 AM
$154.99 for what?? what is "non-precious metal"?? something that's going to tarnish or look like crud in no time?!

i'd spend the $315 and at least know that you've got something that's gold. she may only wear it 5 years, but she'll keep it forever.

how about going halvsie's with her on it? she'll take better care of it if she's paid for half of it, too!

hold old is she? if she's 15, maybe this could be her Sweet 16 birthday gift.

to get the cost down a little more, maybe you could get the real gold, but go with a man-made stone. that's what i did and 20 years later, it still looks great.

Old 02-04-05, 01:28 PM
Group Moderator
My HS ring sits in my wife's jewelry box; no real sentimental value, frankly. I retired it from wear when I get married. Actually I probably stopped wearing it when I went to boot camp (no jewelry allowed) and couldn't wear it on the job afterwards (aircraft maintenance - jet engines - good way to lose a finger). My wife is the college body in our household, too. Got her BS in Education 2 years ago (at the age of 45) and she decided to get a ring. She went with the "non-precious metal model". It's not a dime-store, cheaply-plated metal, Annette. Not sure what the composition is, but some alloy that looks and wears well; hard to distinguish from white gold. I've also seen stainless steel available from some places. Daughter turned 16 last month and does not work; has a full schedule with academics and activities: Key Club Treasurer, NHS, First Chair clarinet in the concert band, and does volunteer work at one of the elementary schools and the middle school. Also an expensive year already in her regards: notebook computer for Christmas, I'm taking her on a trip this summer to Yosemite, and I'm sure there'll be another car in the driveway before school starts in the fall. Hard to justify the doubled cost of the gold.

Old 02-06-05, 02:50 AM
tae
if i remember, i got mine oh so many years ago from jostens, when the rep came to the school. the one important selling point for me was it has a lifetime guarantee, and as it gets worn down on the edge(high profile) i can send it in and get a new one.

Old 02-21-05, 08:30 PM
hollyelizabeth
Visiting Guest
i graduated in 2000 and i bought mine at a local jewery store - but i saw them everywhere- your local walmart might have a different selection then online- but mine only cost 60 and i had the mark under the stone and they had a lot of choices- and i dont know anyone that wore the ring longer then the first year of college- but 150+ is definatly too much especially when you think you can buy a gold a diamond ring for half that
btw - the guy who came to our school did say that even if your ring size changed theyd change it for free

Old 03-03-05, 08:53 AM
mooreisbetter
Visiting Guest
Wal*mart!!!!!!!!!!!!!