?For the ladies about doing your nails

Old 03-08-05, 08:37 PM
Sawdustguy
Visiting Guest
?For the ladies about doing your nails

I broke a nail that was grew out nicely. Is there a good way to file it down, so it grows back properly.?

Also, for the good nails, what kind of nail hardner do you recommend. My nails keep cracking vertically long the nail. Even if I need to use girlie products. I don't know if it's because of the industry that I'm that they keep getting hairline cracks.

How long should a guys nails be? How much "white" should be showing"? So as in how long should they be? and to what point do they become to look like girls nails? Don't want to stretch my boundries,but I like nice nails

Thanks,

Signed, 110% Straight guy

Sponsored Links
Old 03-08-05, 09:18 PM
It may very well be the industry you're in that is causing your nails to dry out. As an import agent, I handled so much paper, along with chemicals, dirt and oils they picked up along route, that it would dry my nails and fingertips out to the point that I had cracks in my nails, plus my fingertips would split. Keep your body hydrated (this will help with problem hair, too) with plenty of water, and also make sure that you're taking plenty of vitamins or getting those vitamins in your diet. Lack of iron can harm nails, just as lack of vitamin C.

To file your nails, use a good emery board (meaning one that isn't too coarse, but isn't used up either) and file from the outsides in to the center of the nail. Use the coarse side for shaping, and then use the other side to smooth them. Use gentle strokes (remember, an emery board is just sand paper and we know what sandpaper does to wood...) and never saw back and forth. Also, never file the tops of the nail. If needed, you can use a buffer on the top to help smooth out the rough spots until a healthier, stronger and resilient nail grows out to replace the old nail.

Use a good lotion, often. Corn huskers lotion smells bad (but not for long), but seems to be the mechanic's and sawmill workers choice for extremely dry hands. You can pick it up just about anywhere, and its clear. Won't leave a residue on your hands like regular hand lotions do. Be sure to work it in around the cuticle, nail and under the tip of the nail. Using the lotion for 6-8 will show a marked improvement in itself as your nails begin to grow out from their current state. Oh, and keep the cuticle pushed back (gently, never cut it!) will also aid in quicker growth and keeping lines, ridges and discoloration to a minimum.

I want to say that you need to harden your nails, but I can't remember the 'rules' to save my life. I use a moisturizing nail sealer because my nails peel away in layers. Something about them being too dry. However, reason tells me that since they're cracking in a line they may be too hard. You may need to look for a clear treatment or top coat that contains both a hardener and a moisturizer. Simply using a good top coat on your nails may solve the problem in itself since it will protect the nail from the environment that you have to keep your hands in.

The nicest 'guy' hands that I've noticed are ones that are short, but not to the bed. A little bit of tip showing. Unless you're wearing a suit or dressing up a lot, I wouldn't go with a high gloss top coat, but just a regular one that makes the nails appear clean and healthy, with a slight shine.

Be sure to change the polish at LEAST once a week. Don't wait until it starts chipping or wearing because it will begin to wear down the top of your nail that way. You will also want to change it because of several factors. If you have your hands in any type of chemicals, or smoke then it tends to change the color from clear to yellow, and will yellow your nails.

I use a product that is labeled: liquid acrylic. The acrylic is similar to what is in artificial nails, and helps to protect my nails during DIY project and also typing (which I do a ton of daily). If an acrylic topcoat has too much shine for you, you can pick up some inexpensive (probably about $1 a bottle) topcoat that will work but you will have to remove/replace it every few days because it has no long lasting properties.

I do wish more guys would take notice of their nails. Their is nothing feminine about looking nice, especially with the nails, hair and face. I'm a good old country girl, and I like nice looking nails on a guy. I do understand your concerns though. My husband won't let me topcoat his nails . He seems to think the guys at work would laugh him out of the place. I don't think they would, but he seems to think that - must be the old school thinking?

Kay

Old 03-08-05, 09:34 PM
Sawdustguy
Visiting Guest
Thanks Kay.

I have a few nails that have about 1/8" long in the white and my girlfriend complains that they look like girls nails. Is this too long or is it becoming more acceptable? If you flip the hand around, you can see the bottom of the nail underneath without even pulling it up.

Old 03-09-05, 04:14 AM
Take this with a grain of salt but it worked for me. I was having the problem with my toenails cracking vertically and my "granny" told me I was lacking Vitamin E. Since I wasn't the healthyist eater anyway I started taking a daily vitamin and low and behold in a few weeks I was back to normal.

Old 03-09-05, 05:20 AM
mattison,

Vitamin E, huh. My toenails are starting that cracking deal. Never had that problem before. Of course, I can barely remember my name lately, much less to take my vitamins {grin}.

E isn't something that absorbs from the skin, is it? I see handlotions with Vit E in it, but am wondering how it can work from both the inside of a body and the outside.

Kay

Old 03-09-05, 05:27 AM
Originally Posted by Sawdustguy

I have a few nails that have about 1/8" long ...
You have a long nail bed then. 1/8" isn't very long at all. If the white bothers your girlfriend, then you can always get some clear nail polish that has a slight reddish tint. You can stop by a nail shop and ask them to show you what it looks like. Or search the nail care aisle (usually not in a branded section, but in the general nail care area of KMarts and WalMarts)

This is the topcoat they use when doing an "American Style" nail. French tip style is a white tip, and clear over the tip and nail. American Style has a more natural look. The tip is off-white, and is the entire nail and tip is topcoated with a reddish tinted clear top coat. This dulls the tip color and make the nail bed appear a healthy natural color. It gives the appearance of natural nails.

Kay

Old 03-09-05, 09:35 AM
IMO, 1/8" is too long on a guy. i'd go 1/16", or whatever just a sliver of a white line would be. less area for gunk to collect in, too, therefore easier to clean up.

Old 03-09-05, 10:20 AM
Sawdustguy
Visiting Guest
I do wonder if some of those women who don't like guys with longer nails, is because they might be jealous that the guys nails would look better than theirs.

Heck, us guys love it when women with nails scratch our backs, so you would think women would like the same thing!

Last edited by Sawdustguy; 03-09-05 at 11:11 AM.
Old 03-09-05, 10:37 AM
1/16" is plenty long to scratch with!

everyone has their preferences, but since you're asking about it, that means you're not 100% confident with your current length, and since your girlfriend has clearly stated that she doesn't like them, my advice to you would be to go with what your girlfriend likes! that would be the "smart boyfriend" move.

Old 03-09-05, 11:10 AM
Sawdustguy
Visiting Guest
See, if I followed her "all" the time, then I might as well put a string around my neck, speak, roll over and play dead.

I've never had long nails and since she's on the high maintaince side, I figured, eh, what the heck, why not.

My hands are all beat up because of the business I'm in and all of the chemicals I deal with, so I chose to grow my nails out a little and try to take better care of them, so I'll stop hearing about how gross my hands look.

Now she's complaining because they're too long! Ugh. O well. She'll have to deal with it and if she keeps it up, for laughs, I'll grow these suckers out past the edge of my finger . Hahahaha Just kiddin

Old 03-11-05, 12:07 AM
Vitamin E makes sense - it's good for skin and that's what nails are built on. Unsure about it really absorbing through skin to useful effect though. Most natural oils that would be used anyway happen to contain massive amounts of vitamin E, so this may be like a product boasting it contains "aqua".

Here's an article on "Fingernails and Nutrition": http://wi.essortment.com/fingernailsnutr_rjbo.htm

"...flat, thin nails can be from insufficient vitamin B12.

The texture of fingernails can tell as much about a persons general health as the color can. Below are some common texture abnormalities and what they can possibly indicate.

Nail textures: Vertical ridges that appear on the nail can indicate disorders as simple as iron deficiency, poor absorption of vitamins and nutrients, overall poor health or they could indicate something as serious as kidney trouble. (So, you see why consulting your physician is so important.) These vertical ridges, as well as bumpy nails, can also suggest that one is prone to developing arthritis.

Calcium is also important for healthy nails. Without it, the nails lose their strength and become brittle and dry. You can find calcium in green leafy vegetables, dairy products, sesame seeds or even a daily supplement.

As mentioned before, ridges in the nails can be a result of vitamin deficiency, one of which is the B vitamins. Vitamin B is needed for strengthening, while vitamin B12 also strengthens while promoting normal nail growth and healthy coloring.

Vitamin C is another necessary vitamin. Adequate intake can help prevent hang nails and swelling of nail tissue..."

Me, I've been blessed with thick nails, which is a good start. And they deflect rather than crack. That's the moisture I think. I do keep them under 1/8" (just hidden from palm view), but will use them to turn slotted screws in a pinch, and of course as incidental scrapers or splinter extractors. So short would mean dulling my tools - no way!

It could be that exercising one's nails (as above) encourages them to grow thicker. My thumb nails are at least twice the thickness of the others. Anyone notice the slightly pleasant itchy sensation when nails are strained? Meow.

Old 03-14-05, 10:12 PM
As speaking as a plumber, I keep mine trimmed to almost nothing.

If they get too long they bother me, long being 1/8". Even though I wear nitrile rubber gloves during most times in plumbing, I cannot take any chances with dirt getting under my nails; my profession at times isn't healthy by any stretch.

Thank goodness I do not drain clean/replace drain pipes all the time.

I also have heard of women freaking out over long fingernails on guys. Kinda like a soft handshake.